cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Upload

Majority
Grafter

Re: Cannot Upload

Hi, thanks for a mature response. I really did not expect that!
I have tried two BT Home Hubs version 1.0 and 2.0. The 1.0 is a bust router and has really bad connection. I cannot access the router unless I use the BT domain page/router address. I tried entering in the new username and password and it did not connect. It just freezers and even after I reset it just does not connect. The light stays red and orange. There is no way to access the router unless you use the BT router address and then when I tried the new username password it froze.  I have tried two different PC's that are both connected to the router and it still does not upload.
I do not want to resign to the idea that I just have to accept that I cannot upload. I think that is bad customer service. And I really do not expect the arrogance to be talked at like a child. That is bad customer service as well.
As I have said. I had no problems with BT so I doubt very much there is anything wrong this end. Plus the download works perfectly fine, so that suggests there is nothing wrong with the line either.
If it is the router. I just want one that works and I do not want to pay money for something that I should not have to. Especially when I and we as a family do not have a lot of money and we are paying for a service. A service that should be provided and not expected.
Thank you,
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Majority,
I'm more than happy to help you to try to resolved this but there are still some questions that you haven't answered and until we have those answers it's very difficult to narrow down what the cause could be. So if you could answer the following questions it would really help.
Quote from: Joanne
Is it all kinds of uploading. Could you upload, say, a picture to Faceboook, an email attachment, or is it just certain sites?

Quote from: Joanne
Are you using the test socket?

Quote from: ReedRichards
Are you trying to say your house does not have a master socket with a detachable faceplate?  But you do have more than just the one phone socket?? 

Jojo Smiley
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Quote from: Majority

I tried entering in the new username and password and it did not connect. It just freezers and even after I reset it just does not connect. The light stays red and orange. There is no way to access the router unless you use the BT router address and then when I tried the new username password it froze.

I presume your comments are in relation to the Home Hub 2.0.

I'm a bit puzzled why it would freeze as you have described.
Does your plusnet username end in '@plusdsl.net' ?

Please try this as one last attempt with the HH2.  The aim is to make the HH2 to store the plusnet username & password.  If it stores it, it 'should' successfully connect)  
Switch on the HH2 and do NOT plug the ADSL/phone cable into it.
Wait a few minutes for the hub to power up and perform a full factory reset by inserting a pin into the Reset hole as documented here:
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...
Wait a few minutes for the hub to power up again.
Plug a PC into an ethernet socket on the rear of the HH2.
Start web browser and type in the address                  192.168.1.254/    or type in       bthomehub
If the factory reset was successfully completed, when the BT home hub page appears, you will be prompted to set up a new Admin password as per instructions on screen.
Now navigate to   Settings tab -> Internet  tab  on the menu
Choose the option 'Enter your broadband username and password (for non-BT Total Broadband customers"
Now type in your full plusnet username & password.   eg.  myname@plusdsl.net

Press the Connect button to save the settings.
Your username & password should now be saved into the hub.  If it fails to save the details, you will get an error message.
If you get no error, now plug the ADSL cable into the hub and wait a minute or two.
Check the lights on the hub.
Hopefully the hub will now try to connect to Plusnet.
If nothing happens, unplug the power from the hub for 10 seconds and see if the hub successfully connects on power up.

------------
If you think you may have mistyped the plusnet username & password, you can re-edit it as follows without having to factory resetting the HH2A hub again:
Unplug the ADSL cable from the HH2A.
Go to    192.168.1.254/     or bthomehub     page using a web browser.
Click on Settings,  Advanced Settings.
Then choose the System tab, Internet tab.
Now you can edit the Broadband username and password fields
Now plug the ADSL phone cable into the hub
Press Connect button to save the settings.
Good luck.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Majority
Grafter

Wow. Its worked. Will have to try the upload and I will get back to you.
Thank you Z.
bill888
Champion

Pleased to hear you are now connected using the HH2.
Don't forget to disable the Openzone stuff via the appropriate HH menu.

Majority
Grafter

And there you go. I am a happy man once again. lol
Thank you, I can upload once again. Must have been the router!!!
it took a long time to get there, but now I am there and the world looks good again.
I cannot find that Openzone thing but everything seems to be working fine.
Thanks,
bill888
Champion

Quote from: Majority

I cannot find that Openzone thing but everything seems to be working fine.

Now that you reminded it, I can't for the life of me remember whether BT Openzone/FON was enabled or disabled by default on HH2.
I would be concerned if it was enabled as anyone logged on could eat into my PN monthly allowance.
It is the BT business hub 2700HGV where Openzone is enabled by default unless you switch it off.

If you have Vista or Windows 7 installed on a computer, you can install INSSIDer to scan for all wifi networks and see if there is a FON or Openzone wifi network which uses the same channel number and signal strength as your HH2 wifi network.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Perhaps PN can now be persuaded to offer a TG585v7 or TG582N router to you to try?

For the record, are you using a type A or type B Home Hub 2 ?   (it should be written on the label on the back of the HH)
Majority
Grafter

Using a type A. I have turned the Wi-fi off as we only use ethanet as the connection was not that reliable for a reason unknown.
Do you know when they say on customer support lines,  "calls may be recorded for training purposes"
I think you should record this conversation for training purposes. haha
I would have had the issue resolved months ago with you there zzZZzz. It was not like I was not trying to resolve the issue myself. Just that simple piece of information that I did not know. Arghh well. 
If this router works I see no reason to change it again. I thought routers were hard wired to only work with the given broadband connection. Though this one works fine so no need to change it really.
Thanks,
bill888
Champion

I don't know the fully history but my understanding is PN were looking at offering the HH2 after BT bought PN hence why there is built in support for PN usernames.
Apparently the type B model will support any ISP via a hidden configuration setup page according to PSIdoc website.

fwiw, turning off wireless 'n' support often improves wifi reliability with most wifi routers.  ie. operate in 802.11b/g mode only.  (Not 802.11b/g/n)
Majority
Grafter

I am going to sit tight with this connection and hope for the best. When it gets over technical for me, it really does not work out that well.
Thanks all for the support and that.  Smiley