cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i go faster

pies
Grafter

Can i go faster

Hi all newbie here,finally got away from orange Angry Been here a couple of weeks now and  everything is better.Ive had no dropouts while online so im wondering if i can run any faster
Type Interleave   
Status No Defect   
Downstream    Upstream

Data rate (Kbps) 3680  448 

Noise margin (dB) 8.8  18.0 

Output power (dBm) 18.6  11.9 

Attenuation (dB) 59.0  31.5 
thanks all Smiley

5 REPLIES 5
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Can i go faster

Hello and welcome to the forums!
I'd say by looking at your stats you're doing pretty well with what you have already - your line has been interleaved as it looks like you have an extremely long line judging by the 59dB downstream antennuation, so to get 3.5Mb seems about right.
So.. unless you move closer to an exchange, that's about the best you will get I'm afraid.
Roger.
pies
Grafter

Smiley Cheers not a problem just making sure
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

You're very welcome  Smiley
decomplexity
Rising Star

As Roger says, your speed is consistent with your downstream attenuation, but - as many other posts here have demonstrated - you can often work wonders by sorting out your domestic phone wiring which can otherwise increase attenuation and noise. Specifically:
a. connect your router/modem or modem direct to the BT's master socket (i.e. not at the end of a long extension lead) and use a good quality connection lead* (not El Cheapo 4-wire)
b. use a filtered faceplate* on the master socket
c. if you have extension wiring, disconnect the bell wire
d. use a router/modem instead of an ADSL  modem, and use one (e.g. Netgear DG834 V3 or V4 varieties) which appear to tolerate bad lines at low noise margins better than others
* see e.g. ADSLNation's website
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
MickKi
Grafter

May be a matter of opinion, or experience I guess but:
Netgear DG834 suite of routers do not possess particularly good modems for long lines.  To qualify this statement, I'll say that they manage to hold on to a line even when the SNRM drops down to zero - but they do this from a worse base (lower sync speed) than other more capable modems.  So, to maximise your sync speed you may want to consider speedtouch 585, Billion BiPAC (forces the line SNRM down to 6dB and therefore may not be suitable for very long/noisy lines), 2WIRE 2700HGV (will need to unlock these from BT's Business account).  On average, any of the above will add 500 kbps on your IP Profile.
Another trick worth mentioning is the removal of the bell wire from all sockets in your house.  Modern BT master sockets have a filter in line to isolate interference from the bell wire getting onto the ADSL circuit, but best solution is to disconnect it completely.
Not withstanding the above, your speed and router stats look as good as you would expect from a line as long as yours, so you may well have reach a point of diminishing returns. Trying to squeeze higher speeds out of your connection may prove quite difficult.
HTH.