cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Plusnet remove an Openreach line marker?

God
Grafter

Can Plusnet remove an Openreach line marker?

A friend of mine that has just moved house (yesterday) and in the process changed from Fasthosts to BT (he rang them this morning) as his ISP. For various reasons a BT account won’t suit him as much as a Plusnet account, so he has cancelled his BT order so that I can register him with Plusnet.
BT have told him that the order cancellation is ok but that Openreach now have a ‘marker’ on the line that cannot be removed for ten days.
Please can you tell me:
Can I go ahead and register him with Plusnet while this marker is on the line?
Is it possible for Plusnet (being part of BT) to get the marker removed?
He desperately wants to avoid waiting 10 days before a new order for BB can be placed.
Cheers
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can Plusnet remove an Openreach line marker?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Slightly different situation here though Oldjim, plus it still can take around 5 working days to remove the marker.
We can contact BT to get markers removed if a customer moves into the premises and there is one of the line then, however if the previous service was put on the line by the person currently at the premises then it'll need a call to the current ISP or a MAC key.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

My mistake - I assumed that there was no way BT could put a marker on the line inside about 16 hours  Embarrassed - steps back in amazement at their efficiency  Crazy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It won't be a marker as such, it'll be the order (which in theory should be able to be cancelled with a day or so).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Chris,
I was going by this
BT have told him that the order cancellation is ok but that Openreach now have a ‘marker’ on the line that cannot be removed for ten days.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have BT actually cancelled the order or might they be attempting to slam him?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
God
Grafter

They rang back within a couple of hours of making the BT order to cancel it. As I understand it the order is now cancelled.
God
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Slightly different situation here though Oldjim, plus it still can take around 5 working days to remove the marker.
We can contact BT to get markers removed if a customer moves into the premises and there is one of the line then, however if the previous service was put on the line by the person currently at the premises then it'll need a call to the current ISP or a MAC key.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean there. They haven't had a service on that line yet. they didn't transfer their Fasthost account,  they were starting fresh with BT.
Mark
Grafter

Just to be clear here. Any marker which prevents an adsl order cant belong to Openreach. They arent an isp. If thats what was said then its wrong.
Retail wont have a marker from this order as they havent had time for the order to progress that far. If a marker exists then it belongs to someone else.
My suggestion would be to ring the CSC and ask them to do a preorder check, see what reveals and take it from there. If there is a tag we can proceed to get it removed.

God
Grafter

Great thanks for that.
God
Grafter

Update... I rang CSC and had a preorder check, no sign of of any 'Marker'... Order placed, thanks for the help!  Smiley
Mark
Grafter

Fantastic.
Hopefully the order will progress without further ado. Smiley
scootie
Grafter

nice try to hold on to an order bt retail. hope your enjoying your humble pie.
within 2 hours for them to get a marker on the line haha. the cheifs at bt retail trailing an olympic doping drug on the order team or somthing. surrpise me if the cs guy had even fhinshed filling in the order form within 2 hours.
God
Grafter

Ahhgggghhh, it was too good to be true:
*Checking your line Sorry - we found a problem whilst checking your telephone line.*
No details yets, but I guess it will be the 'marker'.