cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a new router? Seriously?

minisara

Buy a new router? Seriously?

So my internet has just crapped out and I have done all the usual - turned the router on and off, replaced the micro socket, restarted my computer etc...
Then I go though the trouble shooting questions on the plusnet site and I had to stop as I was laughing so hard and shaking with fury at the same time when it got to the part where it said I had to test my line with another router and if I didn't and it was a router problem and not a broadband problem I would be charged. WHAT?
As far as I was aware I was trouble shooting to find out what the problem was. Not reporting a specific fault. And I am supposed to go out and buy a new router, at 1.30am to test that it isn't a router problem so plusnet can send me a new router if it is the problem? WHAT?
I used to be a BT customer so I am used to being told to do ridiculous things by my isp but this really has to take the biscuit.
Can someone please help me understand this ridiculous logic and tell me what I need to do to get this problem fixed? If I really have to go out and buy a new router there is no way in hell I will be staying with plusnet. I left BT because of my internet crapping out all the time and getting ridiculous advice from customer support and I have no intention of going through the same thing all over again with plusnet.
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Buy a new router? Seriously?

The Broadband Troubleshooter is actually the fault reporting system that carries out some tests on your line as you run through it. If you don't have a spare router to try there is no reason why you shouldn't say so and continue with the tests.
David
minisara

Because it said there would be a "charge" if they carried on with the tests and it turned out it was my router which every other isp I know can easily test at their end. I just got my mum a new router from Virgin after speaking to them for 5 mins on the phone while they tested everything. Not sure what the problem is with plusnet and why they are making me buy a new one from a shop, to test that it is my my router that has the fault so they can then send me a new "free" router - since I have not been with them for a year yet. Makes absolutely no sense to me at all.
phil4
Grafter

How is this different from pretty much every other bit of life?
If your TV stops working, and you call someone out to take a look and it turns out to be the aerial... guess what they'll charge you for the call out.
If you call out a plumber to fix your broken shower, and it's because the shower head is bunged up... guess what, they'll charge you.
If you call out a mechanic to change your flat, because you don't have a spare, they'll charge you.
In short PN are doing everything they can to test your line using the free methods, eg. line tests, asking you reboot stuff etc.  As soon as it costs them money, they need to pass this on to you when it's your fault.  If you chose not to carry spares, then you can't demonstrate to yourself, let alone PN where the fault lies, and if it's with your equipment, are you surprised they charge you?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The "charge" arises if Plusnet call out BT Openreach on your behalf to investigate a fault on the line and BT discover it is actually something on your premises that is causing the problem, not a line fault at all.  This applies to any ISP who supplies broadband down a phone line.  There is a similar charge if your telephone service fails and it turns out to be a fault on your premises.
So Plusnet guide you through a check procedure to make damn sure it really is a line fault.  Since you would be charged by BT Openreach if it turns out you have a faulty router, you need to make sure that you don't.  I think Plusnet will lend you a spare router if you haven't got one of your own; I have certainly seen this offered to other users on the forum in similar circumstances.  If you used to be with BT, I vaguely recall reading you can use a BT Home Hub with Plusnet.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI minisara,
I just tried calling you. If you go through the fault checker and just say that you have a router we can still test. If we think it's a router issue we'll send you another one out before escalating it to an engineer.
Jojo Smiley