cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browsing through treacle again

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Browsing through treacle again

dont know why you are all moaning, the PN web browsing is still on Plan B throttled, mind you they were supposed to be adding another segment today
kingkobra
Grafter

I'm unhappy cos sadly i can't change my working hours to work during the night, so that I can do all my internet related stuff during the day when I might be able to download a 140 Meg file in less than 10 hours.
That, plus its in the British psyche to have a moan Smiley
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
dont know why you are all moaning, the PN web browsing is still on Plan B throttled, mind you they were supposed to be adding another segment today

Bear in mind that even on Plan B browsing and so forth is still supposed to be usable - which would appear to be in stark contrast to some of the reports here.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

dont know why you are all moaning, the PN web browsing is still on Plan B throttled

If you look this thread has been going on a lot longer than the PN Plan B situation and its really starting to pee people off. I think we can all accept that with the clever kit that PN have that downloads of things like Windows hotfixes and other similar files from "download" sites are throttled but it is obvious that PN are throttling Akamai to the point of extinction which is killing the BBC news website, facebook, eBay and so on.
I DO NOT expect my internet connection to be basically unusable because of the apparent incompetence of my ISP.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Just spoken with support , should be moving back to "Plan A" towards the end of week, lets  hope when we get to Plan A our connections become usable once a again at peak hours.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveA
Pro

BBC is grinding to a halt again.
This is just a total joke and I really hope that someone is letting the big cheese know just how peed off people are.
"Later this week"... yeah, right.
                                       Packets               Pings
Host                                Loss%  Snt  Last  Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
1. 192.168.0.66                      0.0%  246  101.1  56.3  2.8 150.4  31.7
2. lo0-plusnet.pte-ag2.plus.net      0.0%  246  37.0  44.0  30.0 213.0  23.9
3. ge0-0-0-504.pte-gw2.plus.net      4.1%  245  53.1  45.7  29.8 200.5  27.0
4. 80.239.193.141                    2.4%  245  31.1  42.1  29.6 316.8  28.2
5. ldn-bb2-link.telia.net            2.0%  245  62.3  45.3  29.3 200.6  25.3
6. ldn-b3-link.telia.net            2.4%  245  60.7  42.9  29.3 157.4  16.5
7. 213.155.157.50                    0.4%  245  61.6  40.4  29.1 210.7  17.7

Grff
Grafter

Cos a lot of people have seen issues for over a week.  Maybe people are moaning because they 'are' still on Plan B. 
Quote from: ITWorks
Just spoken with support , should be moving back to "Plan A" towards the end of week, lets  hope when we get to Plan A our connections become usable once a again at peak hours.
Regards
Mike

i'd have thought they'd go back to plan A 'when' the issues have been sorted, not go back to it and hope it's sorted. Wink
tonycollinet
Grafter

SteveA
Pro

Tony, thats another Akamai site.
All these companies pay a lot for Akamai to host their load for them and then PN throttle it into the floor.
psross
Dabbler

According to the priority problems list, the Plusnet 9 pipe (pcl-ag02) dropped all its connected users at 5pm this evening, which will probably have unbalanced the network:
http://www.plus.net/support/service/problems/problem.php?intProblemId=58763
I've just been trying to download a pdf (http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/xl40/refman/TomTom-ONEv5-XLv2-en-GB.pdf) from download.tomtom.com (which uses Akamai). I was initially trying on pcl-ag03 and after 10 minutes I had managed to download 1 MB of the ~4 MB file. I've just disconnected and reconnected a couple of times to get on to pcl-ag02 and now the file downloads in a couple of seconds.
thejudge
Rising Star

The problems being reported here pre-date anything that any pipe might have done. Things are just damn awful in the evenings now, and have been for some time.
As for the throttling of Akamai, any 'traffic management' which renders a number of popular websites (BBC News, Guardian, eBay, etc.) all but useless is not 'traffic management', it is 'mismanagement' and needs to be addressed quickly, otherwise even someone as prey to inertia as I am will be asking for his MAC.
This is like 2006 (?) all over again.
Grff
Grafter

I understand throttling something like windows updates at peak times, but when so much day to day general content seems to be hosted on these types of 'download' servers, how can they restrict it so much people can't do what they expect to get for their pennies.  Or is it just a case of problems with equipment still?
Although saying that, when do they expect most people to be applying their important security updates from windows?
mapletree
Grafter

Does this problem affect only people on certain products?  I had speed problems downloading the Microsoft updates but web browsing has been normal most of the time.
I also think Microsoft should share some of the blame here.  Why do they rollout all the patches on one day?  This seems dumb to me.
I am also concerned if some products count Akamai hosted web sites as download sites and rate limit them.  Is this just for Plan B?  I am thinking of moving from BBYW2 to Unlimited.  I don't want a "downgrade"!
James
Grafter

Re:Browsing through treacle again

Plusnet9 being dropped will absolutely have made things considerably worse for a number of people.
@Mapletree - Web is in gold, but Microsoft traffic is prioritised beneath that, so will have been impacted more heavily.  I think we can probably stop blaming Microsoft for these speed issues.  The patches were released last week.
SteveA
Pro

So who can we blame James?
I've talked to other people on different ISPs and they're not seeing the sort of problems we've been reporting here.