Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Broadband speed

@TJBrentor
It looks like you've been put on a fixed rate 1mbps service.
I'm just sorting this now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
TJBrentor
Grafter

Here are the stats from a minute ago:
Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (1 dB): 36.4 31.0
Attenuation (1 dB): 12.5 6.5
Output Power (1 dBm): 16.9 7.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 10380 1376

Path 0 Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 1152 288 0 0

K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 37 10 0 0
R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0 0 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 0.50 1.00 0.0 0.0
D (interleaver depth): 1 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 0.13 0.25 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 0.00 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 0 0 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 0 1 0 0
RS Words: 0 0 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 0 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 40817015 0 0 0
Data Cells: 2251143 0 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 0 0 0

Total ES: 0 0
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 15 15

Will change the filter now - the one in use is the one that came new with the router a few weeks ago.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK it won't do any harm, because 1) you'll be able to see what the line is doing with all but the wiring resolved and 2) Matthew is already on the case for sorting the provisioning.
In any event, you'll see a big improvement, but the wire from downstairs to up will still need replacing for the most stable and error free line.
I'll drop you a PM as well.
Edit: Forgot to say, thanks Matthew.
Edit2: Unsurprisingly, no issue with errors on those stats either.
TJBrentor
Grafter

If I move the router to socket A will any rewiring be necessary?
Anotherone
Champion

The answer is no, rewiring wouldn't be necessary (well a tidy up there at location A which I'll give you details of later, BUT, the big BUT, your wireless coverage may not be as good. All you can do is try it there and see whether the wireless coverage is good enough.
Now, I have a confession, in my haste to resolve your wiring, I forgot to check whether your exchange was 21CN enabled Embarrassed Embarrassed  and I'm afraid it isn't, so the maximum speed you will get on ADSL is 8Mbps, but you should get that with no problem whatsoever.
Fibre is available to some, so put your number into the DSL Checker and see what it says (don't post your phone number at the top of the output).
Anyway, try the Modem/router at the Master. see what the wireless coverage is like and we'll take it from there.
I don't know how quickly Matthew can get the provisioning actioned, but post up some more stats when you are at the master.
TJBrentor
Grafter

Thanks all for your help.  Speed now up to 6.45Mbps. 
Dismantling some built in bedroom furniture yesterday I came across another socket.  Still no cable with orange, blue, green and brown but the cable from this socket heads off to the loft.  Perhaps there's a junction box there which links the cable from the ground floor with the cables to the two sockets at first floor.  I'm inclined to leave it all alone now that the speed is OK, unless there are real benefits from checking this out further.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it's been sorted Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

The speed tests aren't really the critical issue. Good speed test results will follow from the line having the correct sync speed and low errors. The other relevant factor maybe is, do you have anyone in the household who is a gamer?
Did you try the modem/router at the master to see what your wireless coverage was like?
TBH, the speed you have posted is poor for a line that should be going flat out on a 20CN ADSL connection! If you could post the current stats that will give a far better picture of what is actually going on - so yes, there could be real benefits! (It might also be worth noting that if at some future point you decided to go for Fibre, the current setup would serious degrade the potential Fibre performance).