cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed help!!!

banksey08

Broadband speed help!!!

Hi All,
I have recently received an email from Plusnet that stated that I was being upgraded to ‘up to 8mb’ broadband.
Which was a nice email to get, as I was only on 2mb.
Anyway, since then I have left it for the 10 day initial period, to do, whatever it does (as you can see I’m not very techie).
During this period, and at present, nothing has seemed to happen; my download speed has not altered at all.
I have been on the BT speed test site, as noted on the Plusnet website and this gives the following results:
Your DSL connection rate: 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1777 kbps
A friend of mine said I should check the data that my router (Speedtouch 585) shows. So I did, and according to my router I get the following:
Downstream Rate: 8096 kbps 
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps 
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 8.5 dB (Downstream), 24.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 11.0 dB (Downstream), 5.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 13.5 dBm (Downstream), 12.5 dBm (Upstream)
I have been informed that these figure are fine, although it has been suggested that the Output power on the downstream is a bit low, but is due to interleaving???
I’ve been told fast path is better???

Anyway with the stats above is it normal that I only get the same 2mb download speeds that I got before, it has never increased or decreased?
If this is what I will be getting, I don’t see the reason for the upgrade as nothings changed.
Any help/advice/guidance would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
repcomms
Grafter

Re: Broadband speed help!!!

hi banksey08
My current figures are:
Statistics            Downstream Upstream
Line Rate          7200 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin        9.8 dB      23.0 dB
Line Attenuation   26.0 dB    14.0 dB
Output Power       19.8 dBm 11.9 dBm
and my BT speedtest results are:
    Your DSL connection rate: 7200 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4117 kbps
I expect my actual throughput to increase over the next couple of days since it takes time for the ADSL to stabilise.  Two days ago my ""IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps"" and the IP throughput much the same at 4109 kbps.  So the system is recognising that things are stable (at last) and moving in the right direction Smiley
All these results were after I pushed my SNR margin from 15 down to 9.8dB using DMT tool -see different thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,66983.msg537073.html#msg537073
hope this helps.
Cheers
Bob
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you might have to reboot your router to get the new speed, or it could be your Rwin, I had to alter mine when I got put on Max.  Havnt got time to find the link off shopping, but some helpful person will find it for you
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi banksey08,
You IP Profile as set by the BT system is 7000, if you have a check by logging into the Member Centre here that the PN figure matches, if it doesn't and doesn't do so in the next 24hrs, then come back and say so, then someone like jameseh from PN may pick it up and sort it. It takes a little while for everything to catch up and stabilize.
I wouldn't reboot just yet, I'll come back with some more info. in a moment.
Regards.
banksey08

Hi all,
Thanks for you help/advice/guidance so far.
Anotherone i've checked in the Members Centre on PN using the link you provided and this says:
Your current broadband speed is 7000 Kbps
Which is the same as BT.
Where I go from here????Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have a read of this http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak2.htm which explains how to tweak MTU and RWIN
Anotherone
Champion

OK, call of nature and a domestic chore dealt with - just seen your reply -
Your Downstream power is correct and nothing to do with Interleaving, it's because you are close to your exchange (~0.8km from the data), therefore less power needed.
Unless you are a gamer and need less latency, I would leave Interleaving on as it will give you a more stable connection.
Unless your sync speed drops or you think something has gone wrong, there should be no need to use the BT speedtester to check throughput - it sometimes has a lot of hiccups. Use the PN tester. If your throughput remains much below 7M (check at various off peak times) consider tweaking your MTU and RWIN. If you are using Vista, forget the RWIN bit, Vista is 'supposed' to do a good job on that.
Info can be found at the kitz webpage and associated links. There is also info. at PN Help and Support here.
If you can follow techie stuff the Kitz website is a good read.
Regards,
Chris.
Edit: That'll teach me to type so much Oldjim, you beat me to it!
Anotherone
Champion

@Banksey08
You shouldn't need to use DMT as you are so close to the exchange.
@repcomms
Hi Bob, glad things are improving, you might want to look at MTU/RWIN.
Cheers,
Chris.