Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed at 0.2meg

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Broadband speed at 0.2meg

I have sent you a ticket and PM regarding this 3MSW.
Chris
HunterZ

Hi,
I am having a very similar issue. In the last few weeks, my broadband speed will ocasionally go down to less than 0.2 Mbps, and it overall just doesn't work when this happens.
The BT speedtest Beta gave me something like:
Download: 0.2
Upload: 0.9

Modem info since I've last reboot because of speed issues (reboot didn't solve issue):
Link Information
Uptime:
0 days, 1:03:03
DSL Type:
G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
1,180 / 19,328
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
1,195 / 19,416
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:
13.67 / 45.47
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:
12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:
15.0 / 25.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:
6.5 / 3.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):
TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):
27 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):
0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down):
32 / 208,923

HEC Errors (Up/Down):
7 / 849,516

The modem itself registers usually over 16 Mbps and other than these random issues, internet speed is just fine. any clues regarding what could be happening?
I've got the Thomson TG585 v8 modem.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please post the results from the non beta speedtest http://speedtester.bt.com/ and are those results wired or wireless
Also your errors are very high for only 1 hour so it may be that the 3dB default noise margin doesn't work on your line
As a comparison on my line with a default noise margin of 5dB (fiddled) I have only 2382 HEC and about 750,000 total errors plus after over 6 days
HunterZ

Here are results from the speedtest:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.74 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 17.13 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.93Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
I was originally using wireless but then moved to ethernet and still had the same issues.
The connection has improved in the last few minutes (as the speed test result now shows). before I could post the initial post, it was almost impossible to even open the plusnet website to check for service status...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you post the error again to see how much they have increased
HunterZ

I'm sorry, I had to disconnect the modem, but a few minutes ago the HEC errors were already over 1 million - that's the only figure I recall.
I have changed the phone cable for a smaller one and that changed SN Margin to 3.5 instead of 3.
speed test is now giving me better results (around 7Mbps), but this is an issue that comes and goes. It is fairly rare that I notice it, but it has happened enough times for me to start worrying.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Basically I think your problem is the extremely high HEC error rate which probably comes in bursts and kills your effective speed.
Next time it happens try phoning 17070 option 2 Quiet Line Test and see if you can hear crackles, hisses etc.
If you aren't into on line gaming you could ask for downstream interleaving to be applied which might help
HunterZ

well, I don't have a phone which makes that option a bit trickier but I'll see what we can get.
I'll keep an eye on the line statistics and will use the information if/when the situation manifests itself again.
Thanks for your help!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi HunterZ,
I would suggest trying a quiet line test if possible. Your connection appears to be stable and your IP profile is set correctly to match your sync rate.
If your phone line is quiet, I would suggest raising a fault at http://fault.plus.net so we can try and get this resolved.
Let me know how you go.
Chris