Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should PN & BTWS Profile match exactly?

alex7127
Grafter

Should PN & BTWS Profile match exactly?

Hi
Can anyone give me a definitive answer? Should the Profile that BT assign my connection be mirrored exactly by the PN systems?
Correct me if I am wrong.......When the Delta reports  are 'sent over' by BT, the PN Systems analyse them and amongst other things match the Profile assigned by BTWS?
Is this right?
KR's
Alex Crazy
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Should PN & BTWS Profile match exactly?

Not quite
On 20CN they do
On 21CN they take the BT figure and set it to the nearest hundred below. Example BT figure 4790kbps Plusnet figure would then be 4700kbps
That is when it works properly on 21CN which in many cases it doesn't seem to.
When it does it updates in about 12 hours
alex7127
Grafter

OK
So....... I am on 21cn and BT have my Profile currently set at 1.75Mbps.....am I reading this right then that by what you say Oldjim, my PN Profile would be 1.70Mbps?
I am a MAAF customer and have no way of checking my profile online like you lucky people actually directly contracted with PN.
I suppose I have to ask one of the nice people from PN on this board each and every time I wish to know what my PN profile is set at?
Alex Crazy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes
You could tun a speed test and guess from that but it isn't ideal
alex7127
Grafter

Using JD's I can only seem to hit 1.65Mbps every time (over the past 4 days) I do speed test.
Every time I have queried my PN Profile with the lovely PN people on here.....it always seems be wrong and need manual adjustment..
This lack of auto adjustment appears to be a common thread eh?
KR's
Alex
Oldjim
Resting Legend

1.65Mb is about right for a 1.75Mb profile.
alex7127
Grafter

Oldjim....not being obtuse or 'splitting hairs' but your first post said the nearest 100 below, which would therefore make my PN Profile 1.7Mbps. Your latest post uses the phrase 'about right'. Which is it, next 100 below or an about right figure?
Surely When the Delta reports come in the PN system works to a precise calculation/formula ......surely it dosnt just pick an 'about right' figure?
Where does the 88.2% calculation fit in all of this? I can see that when my sync rate is set, BT assign a profile of 88.2% of this figure.
As I said I am just trying to get to the 'hard facts' over this Oldjim......not being obtuse with you at all!
KR's
Alex
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You are getting confused or I am not being very clear
The Plusnet IP profile - which you can't see being on MAAF - is supposed to mirror the BT IP profile in the manner I described.
The speed test results are always a certain amount below the profile number. My reference to about right is that the speed test results are always a bit variable and the amount below the profile isn't defined
As an example my profile (Plusnet version) is 4.3Mb and my speed test results are about 4Mb which is about 93% of the profile.
Your profile of 1.75Mb would, on the same basis give 1.63Mb hence my saying it is about right
alex7127
Grafter

Yes Oldjim.....I get confused easily!
The other week I was having very slow d/l speeds due to a profile mismatch.......my BT profile was 1.75Mbps and one of the nice chaps at PN manually set the PN profile to 'match it' (at 1.75Mbps) For the next two weeks I got a d/l speed test result from JD's at bang on 1.75Mbps each and every time.
I am even more confused now. Logics dictates to me that the two value of profile should match exactly and the fact that a member of PN staff can keystroke the PN profile to match baffles, me in respect of........... the PN systems not matching the BT value automatically?

KR's
Alex Crazy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Installed JD's and speed test result are 4.16Mb, 4.21Mb and 4.17Mb  with a profile of 4.3Mb so my statement stands
I have no idea why you should have got exactly the profile number
A question - what is your present sync speed as reported by your router and can you run the BT speed test and report the result http://speedtester.bt.com/
alex7127
Grafter

Sorry to be so thick over all of this Oldjim Cheesy
My current stats are attatched.
Had a resync (AGAIN) at around 10.30 this am.
Synced at 2.112Mbps, BT Profile 1.86Mbbps, BT speedtest result 1.43Mbps
Alex Crazy
alex7127
Grafter

PS
I understand the variance in DL speeds when conducting speedtests, due to time of day, traffic, bad weather etc etc etc
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So on past form - my experience at least - it will take about 3 days for the Plusnet profile to catch up unless you are one of the lucky ones where it works when it will take about 12 hours.
Either way running speed tests using JD's may spot the point where it rises from 1.75Mb (if it is that at present) to 1.80Mb although the difference in actual download speed is fairly marginal
One thing which may be worth having a look at is your full line stats - under DSL Connection click on View More
alex7127
Grafter

Oldjim - JD's is reporting 1.65Mbps over and over at the moment......so would seem the PN profile is way behind?
I thought the 3 day rule was for 20cn not 21cn?
I may seem quite petty banging on about my slow DL speed. BUT with such slow BB speeds around here additional 100 or 200 Kbps here and there REALLY does make a difference using the net.
Copy of DSL stats attatched......alll gobbledy gook to me Crazy
Alex
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You need to read the threads on here bellyaching about it
Regarding your stats there is something wrong - your upstream noise margin should be a lot higher.
Do you have a test socket you can try - see my post here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html