cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed issue

warbleeder
Grafter

Broadband Speed issue

ok ive called in twice now about a fault im having.... and plusnet seem to be a broken record about it...
run speed test....don't run speed test as they are giving readings BT told us we are not allowed to use ....run speed test... run speed test
so is this only way you now deal with speed isues?
and don't tell me its not a speed issue 8 times ive lost internet today ... bored of it
I pay for fiber ... what  I do not pay for is download speeds of 500kps or lower and no its not where im downloading from
any help besides run speed test would be appreciated
when I got told speed test are of no use it was because they where coming back between 90 and 100mbps
3 REPLIES 3
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Re: Broadband Speed issue

If you are losing the internet (e.g. the connection is regularly resyncing of its own accord), it would suggest you have a physical fault.
Such a fault could/does gradually diminish sync & therefore throughput speeds, possibly ending up with DLM putting you on a low speed capped/banded connection profile.
For anyone to comment in detail, you would need to monitor & post your connection stats for a few days to see what problems are developing.
However, the BT supplied modems (Huawei HG612 or ECI) are locked down as supplied, so only BT and your ISP can see connection stats.
The Huawei HG612 can be easily unlocked to provide all the stats you could wish for.
The ECI modem can also be unlocked (much more difficult) & currently the stats obtained aren't all that reliable.
Unlocking modems probably breaches BT's and ISPs' terms and conditions, but HG612 modems can be obtained quite regularly via ebay, allowing you to keep the original modem as supplied for when BT need to run tests using originally supplied equipment.
I have attached an example from a monitored connection that exhibited high errors from first installation.
DLM turned on Interleaving & the errors have now switched type & are being forward corrected (FEC).

The connection has indeed lost some sync speed, but it does now seem stable.
It will be monitored for a longer period, just in case a fault does still need to be reported.

Apparently that connection started at 60Mb throughput when first installed a while ago.
It is now in sync at just over 50Mb. i.e. a loss of 10Mb or so.
It is also a Plusnet connection.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear you're having problems again warbleeder but I'm glad to see our faults team are looking into it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
warbleeder
Grafter

yep thanks adam got asked to run trace roots and ping test... I know its nothing at my end as I allways rule my hardware out before I contact plusnet