cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed issue

sheba2305
Hooked

Broadband Speed issue

Morning, I am new to the community, I am having dreadful broadband speed issues yet there are no reported problems in my area

I am currently on a rolling contract and feel that my speed has been restricted because I do not want to sign up to a lengthy contract at the moment due to my circumstances

Has anyone else had an experience like this please

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband Speed issue

Morning and welcome to the Community, @sheba2305 . Your contract status will have no bearing on your speeds - that is entirely down to the equipment, be it yours or the BT infrastructure.

For other Community members to be able to help, we need a little more information from you. To start with, you have posted in the ADSL board - are you on ADSL or Fibre?

John
sheba2305
Hooked

Hi ADSL,  there is no fibre options  where we live

jab1
Legend

OK - give me a while as I have to go out for 45 minutes or so, and then I'll try and help.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Also follow the broadband fault reporting process below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sheba2305
Hooked

thank you John

sheba2305
Hooked

HI the phone line is silent and there is a dial tone

jab1
Legend

@sheba2305 I'm back. @Townman has already posted a very valuable reply, but I am going to post my 'standard' instructions, anyway. 😉

If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.Sight of the HelpDesk page, under the Troubleshooting tab on your router homepage - with personal information redacted - is very useful.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly. - Covered by @Townman 

It may be an idea to also report your lines capabilities - please post your results from THIS site, but ensure your phone number is obscured/hidden.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @sheba2305

Thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear that you're having speed issues. Just to confirm what @jab1 has already said, Plusnet do not slow down connection speeds based on the status of your contract.

I've tested the line this afternoon and can see that downstream speeds are coming through at 3Mbps, wich as per BT's Availability checker, seems about right. I've found you were on a banded profile though, which has now been reset.

In regards to Fibre, I've had a look, and can confirm that it is in fact available on your line, giving you speeds of around 36.5Mbps.

If you'd like to discuss an FTTC contract with ourselves, we'd also need to take over your existing phone line, which is currently with another provider.

KBD
xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUK73223846 Service ID:  
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 04-01-2022 15:10:23
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 28.3 50.0
SNR Margin: 20.3 8.6
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 1522 2568
Speed: 165 3066

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2848 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 2278
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 9600
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 200
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
sheba2305
Hooked

Thank you Adam I will check as soon as I am home,  thank you everyone for your input

jab1
Legend

@sheba2305 My personal recommendation, based on what @adam945 has said above is to see what deal PN can do for you if you switch to FTTC, which sounds like a very much better option than your current situation.

Ignore my 'Help' instructions above, but can you post the results of : BT Broadband (hiding your phone number) and the 'Advanced Diagnostics' page from : BTW Performance Tester , please?

EDIT to add: just re-read your original post, and I see a problem - you would have to commit to a minimum 18-mount contract.

John
sheba2305
Hooked

Hi John

I am not at home at the moment but I will do this when I am thankyou

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Looking at the information posted by @adam945 on a 50dB attenuated line (3.6km to the exchange) you are never going to see more than 5mbps sync speed.  Your original post does not specify any figures to provide a context for being "deliberately" slowed down.

However the SNRM figures suggest that the line is being managed for stability.  If you are happy with 5mbps, investigating why the line is being managed might address your concerns.  Christmas tree lights are notorious for causing issues - when did the apparent slow down start?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.