cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed Issues - 03/10/09

midvale999

Re: Broadband Speed Issues - 03/10/09

Silly me - just noticed/been told that I had gone over my 15Gb limit hence the speed drop! Am now on Unlimited thanks to a very kind Pete on the phone Smiley
James
Grafter

@Paulh
As per our other discussion in various other areas of these forums, I've been looking into your speed issues and will get back to you to let you know once I've managed to find out some further news about your line.
@baldrick
Interleaving being on shouldn't have an impact on how the speed test performs.  Do you notice any obvious improvement by rebooting your router?
@angelab
Your speeds are never going to be great I'm afraid.  Given your distance from the exchange, you will always see poor speeds, but you may be able to optimise your connection by setting the MTU and rWin settings on your computer if your browser supports it.  You can do this on Windows XP and before by following this tutorial:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/rwin_guide.shtml
@iainatk
Your speeds are poor in the evenings because you have gone over your 4GB peak allowance on your product.  I'd suggest either trying to use less during peak times or alternatively look at one of our other products to see if they are more suitable to your needs.
@nathan1111
The test result that you have posted is absolutely fine for your connection.  If you connection is disconnecting, then I would suggest that you look at the usual things - ensuring that your internal wiring is optimal and trying to replace your filter and router where possible.  Drops in connection almost always have a detrimental impact on speed.
@chrisandnic
Have you seen any improvement since you posted that message?  The line stats you showed me are not what I would expect to have seen for your profile.  I've run a quick check on your line now and I'm not able to see your connection as being online.  Also, I've spotted that your connection doesn't generally seem to stay up for very long.  Are you turning off your router frequently or do you have a problem with connection drops?
@Macazon
Even with generic congestion, I'd never expect speed results to be that poor unless something is very badly wrong.  Have you noticed any improvement since?
@falkengt4
There's nothing apparently wrong looking at the test results that you've quoted.  What sort of speed are you getting from java.com?  I suspect that it may be treated as a download site/server depending on how the traffic itself is being served.
@geofftswin
Your test results also look absolutely fine for your IP Profile.  How are you downloading your files from sourceforge?  Is it a standard HTTP download?  Again, I suspect that these are probably treated as download sites, which will be rate limited during peak times.
@Apprentice
Especially because of the product you are on (no traffic management), congestion during peak times of the day is to be expected to an extent and the speeds that you have reported are not drastically poor.
@Azagoth
Your situation appears to be very similar to paulh's.  I'll be in touch later to discuss a potential option which may or may not help you.
@Erskine
I've replied to you in a different thread.  Let me know if that information was helpful.
@Chemical Brother
As discussed, use a PC with a decent browser Wink
Seriously though - We had a pipe drop earlier in the week which may still be affecting balance.  Please see how your connection behaves now you have moved onto a different pipe.
@dave1966uk
Your results that you have posted are absolutely fine.  You may also benefit from tweaking your MTU/rWin settings to optimise your browsing experience.
@hatton920
Because of the product that you are on, this can only be caused by exchange congestion.  I'll happily try you on a trial of Max Premium if you'd like to try it out.
@theberrys
As you've mentioned, your test results are fine.  Your downloads are going to vary depending on the source of the downloaded files and how we prioritise the traffic.
@leeanthony
What sort of pings are you seeing if you try "ping bbc.co.uk" from a command prompt?  It's possible that you may benefit from having interleaving turned off although it will also depend on the server on which you are playing.
@midvale999
Glad you managed to get your problems sorted.
gswindale
Grafter

James,
I was downloading from sourceforge using the normal http method.  Interestingly just after I'd gone through the speed tests and restarted my download it jumped up to a more reasonable speed (200kb/s as opposed to 12kb/s) - this during the peak times.
Apprentice
Grafter

Hi James,
Thanks for feedback  Roll_eyes
Yes it's that old pearl of wisdom yet again, since hopping onto another gateway >>>  lo1.pcl-ag05.plus.net [195.166.128.45]
the speeds have been good with less variation through the day and especially through the evenings.
Things are OK for now at maaf  Wink
hatton920
Grafter

Thanks James for the offer,
I was under the impression that max premium only changed the upload speed, but I will try anything to get rid of these awful speeds on a line which can run at 6500kbps.
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Max Premium also gives your traffic a higher priority on the BT network.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

@hatton920
Thanks - I've placed the order and raised a ticket on your account.
mrp3sky
Dabbler

1.  Your product type = PlusNet Broadband Your Way Pro with included 15GB bandwidth
2.  Your current usage from the VMBU
Paid-for usage  3.1GB                  8am - Midnight 
Paid-for allowance: Up-to 15GB 8am - Midnight
Peak usage Free usage: 6.41GB Midnight - 8am
Total usage: 9.51GB
3.  Your IP Profile, as reported by Plusnet = Current line speed:    7150
4.  Information from the BT Speedtester
Download speedachieved during the test was - 331 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
5.  A Speedtest from an external testing site

6.  Your gateway = Telehouse North, Juniper 1
7.  Your exchange status = VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
8.  Any other information
iainatk
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh

@iainatk
Your speeds are poor in the evenings because you have gone over your 4GB peak allowance on your product.  I'd suggest either trying to use less during peak times or alternatively look at one of our other products to see if they are more suitable to your needs.

jameseh I migrated over too the unlimited product today. It was fine at dinnertime today but rubbish again this evening. Browsing is generally slow and Skype/Messenger still has garbled audio. My connection speed and BT speedtests show everything is fine so I don't know what the problem is. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago.
phaedra1106
Dabbler

I'm on unlimited too, speeds have been 1M or less since 8am, same all day Sunday and most of Saturday.
Here's my 2 BT speedtests from earlier today,
Test 1 - 11:40am
Download speedachieved during the test was - 771 Kbps
Additional Information:
Usenet 110K
Test 2 - 17:16
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1043 Kbps
Additional Information:

Usenet is so slow that using SSL it times out trying to authenticate, absolute pants.
chrisandnic
Dabbler

Jamesh,
@chrisandnic
Have you seen any improvement since you posted that message?  The line stats you showed me are not what I would expect to have seen for your profile.  I've run a quick check on your line now and I'm not able to see your connection as being online.  Also, I've spotted that your connection doesn't generally seem to stay up for very long.  Are you turning off your router frequently or do you have a problem with connection drops?

My internet connection is not wireless and therefore I disconnect when the computer goes off at night etc.
I have noticed a slight improvement since I posted the original message, but I am still only getting an upload speed of 0.99 mbps and an upload speed of 0.36 mbps.
I have also just purchased a new ADSL cable to ensure that this is not the issue and it has not improved the connection at all.
Just run another download test and got a speed of 0.77 mbps !
HepaT1c
Dabbler

1.  Your product type
PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1
2.  Your current usage from the VMBU
Key: Peak usage  Peak usage:  5.49GB  4pm - Midnight 
Key: Off-Peak usage Off-peak usage: 26.96GB Midnight - 4pm
Total usage: 32.44GB
3.  Your IP Profile, as reported by Plusnet
Current line speed: 3500 (thats way lower than the 5000 my router suggests)
4.  Information from the BT Speedtester
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3005 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5088 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4000 Kbps
5.  A Speedtest from an external testing site.
Today 20:53  3154 kbps (394kB/s)  276 kbps (34.5kB/s)
6.  Your gateway
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 1" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as ptn-ag1.
7.  Your exchange status
VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
8.  Any other information
tried changing some filters and cables. flushed dns too just in case. really serious issues are seen in games, especially need for speed shift where pings range up to 4500. only seems to have been this bad for the last week or so. some cases ping tests to google / yahoo will drop packets. only at home during "peak" times so hard to test outside of that.
James
Grafter

Guys - This is very important.
MS pushed out their biggest ever update yesterday.  We anticipate that this means an extra 30TB (30,000GB) of extra traffic being pushed to our customer base.
Things will have been slow last night and we fully expected it to be.
Marky
Dabbler

Marky - Your problem looks like your connection speeds, which may be a result of being a long way from your exchange.
Unfortunately there's not very much we can do about that Sad

I wouldn't mind so much if that was the case but just a couple of weeks ago I was getting this
                                                              Downstream                                    Upstream
Rate (Kbps):                                                    2144                                                  458

And now I'm only getting 750k... that seems far too sporadic to suggest a distance from exchange issue surely? if that was the problem I'd only ever be getting 750k max; not hopping up and down every 2/3 days?
I've got an open ticket going so I'll keep an eye on things, Personally have given up trying to play games or stream anything in the evening now.
hatton920
Grafter

@hatton920
Thanks - I've placed the order and raised a ticket on your account.

hi James.
I did a quick test on my iPhone this morning and I was getting around 6000kbps and my upload has increased. I will do more testing tonight when I get home on my computers and get back to you with my speeds.
Thanks
Steve