cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Connection Multiple Dropouts and Now Poor Download Speeds

jimmer007
Dabbler

Broadband Connection Multiple Dropouts and Now Poor Download Speeds

Over the weekend I experienced internet Dropouts and disconnections every few minutes or so, I lost count how many times I had to keep restarting router, restarting devices, yet still getting dropouts every few minutes even though no faults were showing in my area.

It kept saying on my phone WiFi authentication expired, luckily this now has settled down since Monday, all on its own which was very strange.

However since these multiple dropouts over the weekend my broadband speed is now at 20mb and upload barely 1mb, and is much lower than the guaranteed 27.3mb and 5mb upload I signed up for in January.

I had been getting 30mb download since January, now all of a sudden this is much lower than my guarantee.

Could someone look into these dropouts I've had, and also my poor broadband speed as this is much lower than my guarantee and what my line is capable of, I'm not sure if my router is faulty and this is why I had multiple droputs and now poor download speeds.

Ill try to attach my speed history since January 2021 when I joined Plusnet, to highlight the difference in what I was getting to what I'm.getting now.

I appreciate this being looked into and rectified pleaseScreenshot_20220615_204031.jpgScreenshot_20220615_204543.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Broadband Connection Multiple Dropouts and Now Poor Download Speeds

You need to post your Router stats (SNR etc) here, and confirm what connection type you have ADSL/FTTC etc;

also carry out the self help checks in link below.

jimmer007
Dabbler

Hi thank you for your reply

I believe my router snr stats are shown below

Screenshot_20220615_213608.jpg

My connection is fttc I believe, minimum.guaranteed speed should be 27.3mb, but barely getting 20mb since the weekendbafter the constant disconnections, whereas before was getting 30mb on average.

My bt broadband speed performance checker results listed below.

Screenshot_20220615_213248_com.android.chrome.jpg

jimmer007
Dabbler

This is from the bt broadband wholesale checker for the cabinet which serves our area

Screenshot_20220616_071755_edit_815163511227177.jpg

jimmer007
Dabbler

I've come home from work tonight to no broadband at all

The router internet connection is disconnected and no matter how many restarts and reboots of the router the internet still won't connect

If someone could look into this for me it would be greatly appreciated
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @jimmer007, thanks for getting in touch on our forums. I'm really sorry for the problems with your service and the speed drop, sounds like it's been a pain!

It looks like you currently have no service as the broadband password needs updating in your router. I can see you have been assigned a case handler who is due to call you again later to go through the steps to set this up. In the meantime you can do this manually following the steps below:

1. Type in browser 192.168.1.254
2. Click advanced settings
3. Select 'Broadband'
4. Enter the admin password and click ok
5. Enter the username@plusdsl.net & account password

It looks like you also have an engineer booked and they'll be able to take a further look at the other issues you have faced Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jimmer007
Dabbler

Hi

I managed to get a engineer out today rather than have to wait untill Monday which was great.

The engineer replaced the cable on our external wall and put a new masters socket in, after the line was reset the speed was around 36 meg and holding there so thought all was good.

However I've still had several dropouts this afternoon, some of those occur when the phone is being used oddly I've noticed.

However the noise on the line hasn't dissapreared entirely, occasionally crackling etc still present.

And every phone call we've made or received since the engineer left earlier after a few seconds the internet cuts out while the phones in use, so there may be another issue that needs looking at now 😞

If anyone can advise any steps to rectify this that would be great.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hiya @jimmer007

I'm really sorry you are still having an issue with your phone line and connection. I can appreciate the hassle this is causing and I can imagine how frustrating this must be. 

I can see you have raised a complaint with our higher escalations team and replied to your case handler, who will be back in touch when he back on shift. 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we're a little busier than usual and it is taking longer than I would like to get back to you guys. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team