Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion 7300N tip.

mpercival
Dabbler

Billion 7300N tip.

Hi all,
I've recently been tearing my hair out over the terrible condition of my line (and hence the speed I was getting).
Plusnet have been kind enough to lend me a router to try instead of my Billion 7300N and although the line was still showing errors, a couple of BT visits have magically cleaned it all up - despite the poor BT engineer telling me he could find absolutely NO noise at all on the line anywhere...
Anyway, today I went to send back the Plus router and switched back to the Billion, and immediately I was seeing drop the SNR margin lower and lower until the connection failed, just like before....even though the speedtouch was fine.
I did some digging, and it turns out that these routers have a bunch of hidden SNR profiles...you can get to them on:
http://yourhexaddress/iptv.asp (normally 192.168.1.254 I believe - mine's changed)
Once in there, I found that I was set to "other", a setting which obviously is really aggressive about trying to get high speed by negotiating ever lower SNR margin.
I set it to "normal" (funny that!) and when I rebooted the box it fired up at a nice stable 6db and has stayed there without a flicker all day.
So, before you hurl your Billion router, just see if it has similar settings hidden away. You may save yourself a lot of grief  Smiley
Martin
1 REPLY 1
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Billion 7300N tip.

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the tip there I'm sure this will come in useful for someone else and even help our our support staff if dealing with anyone using this device. Also if we do create any new support library articles about 3rd party routers I'm sure your tip will be on there Smiley
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team