Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best adapter for router

deernessjim

Best adapter for router

Hi everyone,
A new customer and my first post!
I have just applied to switch to Plusnet and await the router to arrive.  I am going to use my new laptop as my main machine, which has built-in WiFi and will network this to my desktop for which I will need a usb wireless adapter.  Would any adapter work with the Thomson 585v7 router or is there a preferred model?
Many thanks,
Jim
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Best adapter for router

I normally fit one of these as they have a cable from the card to the aerial so you can move it to get the best reception http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7128G-Wireless-802-11b-Ralink/dp/B000KLNRBS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=... an alternative would be this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/product-description/B001AIJX54/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=560798... - note the wire between the usb fitting and the aerial
However as far as I am aware neither of them supports WPA2 encryption so you may want to look for a WPA2 compatible unit.
I would still try to get one where the aerial position can be adjusted
Edit - they support WPA2 encryption
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

I am going to use my new laptop as my main machine, which has built-in WiFi and will network this to my desktop for which I will need a usb wireless adapter

I'm not sure if your realise it but the router has wired connections as well as wireless, so if your desktop is near the router then just connect it with an ethernet cable. It will still network with a wirelessly connected laptop.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
However as far as I am aware neither of them supports WPA2 encryption so you may want to look for a WPA2 compatible unit.
According to Edimax both of these support WPA2.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just checked on the box - and they do  Embarrassed
Will edit my post - thanks
taidi
Dabbler

On the same theme...would a Netgear Wireless-N150 USB Adapter work OK with the Plusnet supplied wireless modem/router ?
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/RangeMaxWirelessNAdapters/WNA1100.aspx
I have some other stuff to order from Ebuyer and this looks good value at £20.
Apologies for btting in on deernessjim's thread  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: MisterW
I am going to use my new laptop as my main machine, which has built-in WiFi and will network this to my desktop for which I will need a usb wireless adapter

I'm not sure if your realise it but the router has wired connections as well as wireless, so if your desktop is near the router then just connect it with an ethernet cable. It will still network with a wirelessly connected laptop.

You should have said it will work better if wired!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)