cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Line Fault (a perspective on Plusnet Customer Service)

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT Line Fault (a perspective on Plusnet Customer Service)

This is probably wrong in detail but the overall picture should be OK
This is from my router (actually Routerstats)
Reed Solomon:    293,231,040 is the number of FEC data frames and as such is a measure of the throughput
RS Corrected:    13,925 is  the ones which were corrected
RS Un-Corrected:  731 is the ones which weren't corrected and had to be resent
The remainder didn't need correcting
and it won't drop my noise margin either
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So, Oldjim, you have a vastly lower ratio of Corrected:Total than I do but, strangely, a similar ratio of Uncorrected:Total.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

All that means in my case is that for most of the time I get very few errors and they are nearly all corrected but then i get a spike where the error rate jumps badly and quite a few aren't corrected
This is a graph of errors per 15 minutes as an example
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Okay, my SNR/Noise margin is gradually correcting itself following a (voice) line fault in July.  The previous change was from 15 dB to 12 dB on 8th August.  Now 17 days later it has come down from 12 dB to 9 dB (or thereabouts).  As a result I am now syncing at 7168 kbps.  The only problem is that each time one of these adjustments take place (or starts) it completely hangs my Netgear router.  Either that or the router hangs itself and this acts as a trigger for the change?!?
So, it seems the BT system works but it does so incredibly slowly.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Progress update:
I was away for a while in September and turned my router off.  When I turned it back on on 1st October I'm sure the SNR/Noise margin was still at 9 dB but when I checked again on 8th October it had finally got back to the 6 dB it had before the fault on my telephone line arose.  Unlike previous changes this seems to have happened without my router dropping the connection or hanging.  So everything is pretty much back to normal now, except that my BT IP Profile has not quite caught up with my improved sync rate and my Plusnet profile has not caught up with my BT one.
So, without any intervention on my part, it has taken about 2.5  months for my noise margin to get from 15 dB back to 6 dB after the fault on my line (that resulted in a raised noise margin) was fixed.
JayH
Dabbler

Hallo ReedRichards
I've been following this with interest, as I have a similar issue.
Can I ask you which Netgear router you have? The stats you produced were very detailed.
I have just got a DG834Gv5, and the information available from that is nowhere near as detailed, at least not that I've been able to find so far. I also have RouterStats running, but all the graphs are a pencil-straight line, with no variation at all.
Ta Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Hello JayH,
I wish you had asked me that question about six weeks ago.  My Netgear router does not readily offer-up the detailed stats. I presented.  The trick was to start a Telnet session and then issue the right command.  I think I read about how to do this on this forum shortly before I tried it myself, but in the intervening time I have completely forgotten the details.  Perhaps if you asked a specific question then someone with more knowledge or a better memory would respond.