Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone recommend a router please

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Anyone recommend a router please

I've only had one router since upgrading to ADSL in January 2004 - a Netgear DG834 v1.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris5gd
Dabbler

Quote from: Bud
mine (DG834G) has been retired in favour of a DGN2000.

I've applied for a RMA for the DG834G now - looking for an alternative myself now.
Does the DGN2000 have the same management features as the DG834G?
I particularly need the port forwarding, and if it also works with RouterStats (http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm) it would be good too.
Myst
Grafter

Menu is pretty much identical. I had the  DG834G before getting the DGN2000.
Can't say that the range has increased greatly though, or not that i have noticed - xbox downstairs and laptop are about the same on signal strength
martin2006
Grafter

and if you ever have to replace it, you'll probably have one a year!!
i have gone and bought a netgear dgnd3300. i think it was the big light that done it for me, am i a fool, it was sort of a christmas present to myself
mal0z
Grafter

Sorry you've had problems with Netgear 834's - statistically some must fail, etc
but I've heard far more good stories about them than other routers on this forum and elsewhere.
It would be interesting to see the return statistics for such kit from the likes of Amason , Dacs etc
grahamt
Rising Star

Just to provide a bit of variation from the Netgear discussion, I thought I'd put in a recommendation for ZyXEL. Mine (P660HW-61, bought July 2005) has been very reliable, although the last firmware update was as long ago as Nov 2006. A different model (P335) has been sitting, switched on, in my partner's office for about four years and hasn't given any trouble at all. I don't know whether the new(ish) 'consumer-friendly' casing of the P660 range has made any difference to reliability, but I'm thinking of getting a new router sometime this year and I'll probably be looking at either ZyXEL or Netgear.
Alternatively I could go for a Plusnet Thomson router and wait until BT get round to installing fibre-to-the-cabinet locally before buying a different sort of router.
Graham
martin2006
Grafter

i totally ignored most o the good advice i was given and bought a DGND3300, incidently i read somewhere the DGND3500 is on its way which has the gigabit ports, but i wondered if anyone knows how to find the interleaving/fastpath stats as i cant seem to see them.
cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Use RouterStats - it's shown on the telnet pages in there.
martin2006
Grafter

hi jelv, thanks for the reply, i cant see anything referring to telnet in the router stats could it be called something else
ta
martin2006
Grafter

hi, i posted some menu options and stats pages if anyone can point me to the interleaving info it would be much appreciated
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As jelv advised above, if you download and run Routerstats from http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm it will tell you as per my screen shot below.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
martin2006
Grafter

Sorry, i was being dumb, i though routerstats was in my router page menus, didnt realise it was a separate program.
thanks guys
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Embarrassed Sorry - we post so many links to router stats (and you'll see a lot of noise margin graphs in posts) I forget some people may not know what it is!
martin2006
Grafter

hey no bother, i always wondered where those graphs came from, i had a quick look at setting up the router stats but think i need to spend a bit of time getting the settings right for the ip address line as think its different on the DGND3300, might still be picking your brains yet
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just been looking at the RouterStats page. While it shows support for the DGN2000 it doesn't mention the 3000 series. It will probably be worth you joining his forums and getting advice from there.