cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had any success with the telnet command: wireless radio channelwidth= ?

Dodgexander
Grafter

Anyone had any success with the telnet command: wireless radio channelwidth= ?

By default plusnet change this too wireless radio channelwidth=  20 because they claim there is no performance increase, even without rival nearby networks. They also claim that with this enabled, you can have a worst speed in congested environments.
You can log in to the router using telnet and set wireless radio channelwidth= 40/20 instead although by default according to my phone, it seems the router is already using 4 channels so toggling this doesn't make a difference.
So for me, it makes no difference and despite what plusnet says, there is 4 channels occupied still regardless of the setting, so does this mean channel bonding is indeed set by default? if so, why are we limited to 130mbs?
8 REPLIES 8
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Anyone had any success with the telnet command: wireless radio channelwidth= ?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "4 channels", but on 2.4GHz the channels are 5MHz apart, so 4 channels = 20MHz, 8 channels would be 40MHz.
Dodgexander
Grafter

Re: Anyone had any success with the telnet command: wireless radio channelwidth= ?

My phone only supports the 20mhz bandwidth, so when it test, it will always just show 4 channels.
However when i switch to: wireless radio channelwidth=20/40 i have a big performance increase, I wondered if anyone noticed the same?
Despite the performance increase, my wireless adapters will still not connect to the 130mbs. Why is this so different from other routers where you can see up to 300mbs?
apjashley1
Grafter

You'll never get above 150mbs because there's only a single antenna, you need dual antennas (or better) to support 300mbs
ejs
Aspiring Hero

1 stream, 20 MHz = 65 Mbps
2 streams, 20 MHz = 130 Mbps
1 stream, 40 MHz = 135 Mbps
2 streams, 40 MHz = 270 Mbps
Using 40 MHz wide channels on the 2.4 GHz band is disabled by default for Wi-Fi Alliance certification. I don't know what your phone shows, but the HT20 / HT40 information is broadcast with the beacon packets, even an 11g adapter can receive the information about the network.
Dodgexander
Grafter

Okay I have done some testing and found opposite results from previously.
First of all, regarding my phone. It doesn't operate on the 40mhz band so it can only see the 20mhz channels, not the extention band.
Setting channel width 20/40mhz instead of the default 20mhz DOES change performance. This means the function does work.
To confirm, when I have been testing the two modes, the channels I used were free of interference (I live rurally).
20/40mhz mode:

20mhz mode:

As you can see, plusnet were correct there is better performance in 20mhz mode than 20/40. HOWEVER this is not because of surrounding networks, under testing, there are none.
I am guessing the reason the performance is better is due to the fact the router does not operate above 130mbs despite what mode is selected.
As for router specification, there are pleanty of 300mbps routers that also support the specification, I can forsee the only reason plusnet chose the router is due to the fact custom firmware is unavailable (they can create their own) and that its cheap. E.g has only 1 antenna and doesn't have 300mbps mode.
Perhaps with such great customer service its about time they also had in mind that people may use filesharing at home and therefore may want to upgrade their supplied modem.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The 130Mbps mode requires 2 "spatial streams" which presumably equates to at least 2 antennas.
Dodgexander
Grafter

Odd then the router performs better in 20mhz mode. I almost feel like my 300mbps compatible NICs are wasted Cheesy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Trouble is, wireless networks with bands that overlap will queue requests up automatically hence the slowdowns often experienced. Therefore the wider the spread of your own wireless, the more chance it's got of being interrupted - so if there's few or no other networks in the area it'll be fine, but if there's several it's probably going to perform better with a narrower spread.
That's my understanding of it anyway.