cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any tips on improving my poor speed

Keithkkl
Grafter

Any tips on improving my poor speed

I am connected with Plusnet via broadband on the upto 8Mbs package using a wired router (BT Voyager 210 ADSL)
I am regularly achieving very low speeds (in the region of 130 kbps when it should be 8000 kbps).  I'd just be happy to get it upto 1500 kbps
Just did the BT Speedtest a few mins ago
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3776 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 98 kbps

Also just done test at mybroadbandspeed and speedtest.net
url=http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk][/url]

I think you'll agree its pretty slow
Any useful tips on achieving a higher speed
Thanks in advance
45 REPLIES 45
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Any tips on improving my poor speed

Hi there,
From checking your connection logs it does seem that there were a couple of aggressive disconnections (basically where a burst of noise/interference on the line causes your ADSL hardware to lose the connection) and this has caused the drop in profile.
Best thing to do is to make sure it's nothing that you've added to the line by unplugging everything and connecting the ADSL hardware to the master BT socket. If the sync rate fluctuates in this state then there's a fault on the line, if not then it's something that was plugged into the line at your premises that's causing the issue.
Let us know how things go with the testing and we'll be able to advise further, hope this helps.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

I was writing a nice little reply until Matt got there first- so I deleted pretty much all of it.. however, I'll leave this paragraph in..
If you haven't already done so, it's worth reading the broadband speed troubleshooting advice pages

Roger.
Keithkkl
Grafter

Have just tried disconnecting the phone so just have the modem attached to the microfilter but still get same result.
Will see if there's any difference in the next few days unless there are any other suggestions
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

BT have probably set your profile to 135K - they will only increase it after a period of stable running at higher speeds - it can take up to 3 days. Until that increases you will not see improvements in speed tests.
What you need to look at is the sync speed reported by your router/modem and whether it manages to remain constantly connected.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

If you have long extension wiring, then have a look at my web page and see if the wiring is similar in your house.
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
It may be helpful. Since Cristmas I have gone back to my old modem so that I can get some more stats.
I had to wait three days and power cycle  my new eTec router before I got my speed improvement.
James
Grafter

Shamelessly copying from my own blog post here:
http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/07/02/broadband-speed-faults-how-to-diagnose/
The downstream synchronisation speed is extremely important. This is the speed at which BT use to calculate your IP Profile. We have a table on our website which shows you’re the relevant synchronisation speeds versus the appropriate IP Profile speeds, which you can find here. You can also see your current profiled speed on our network, which is designed to mirror BTs IP Profile and is updated twice a day. See this here.
Unfortunately the IP Profile is not updated on a real time basis. BT take your lowest downstream synchronisation speed (hence the importance of this as I mentioned earlier) over a three day period and then assign the appropriate IP Profile. Here’s where the problems can occur. Downstream line synchronisation can and does fluctuate.
There are various factors that can cause line synchronisation to drop and fluctuate. Most commonly these factors can relate to faulty filtering, a suspect modem or router or poor internal wiring. The best setup for any Broadband connection is always to have your modem or router connected into a filter and then for your filter to be connected to your master socket, which is normally the first socket into your house from your road. It is also imperative that every used phone socket in your house has a filter attached, whether it is used or not, as failure to do this can cause interference between the analogue (normal voice phone) and digital (Broadband) signals. There are also additional factors that can come into play such as poor weather, exchange and line related problems and even things like street lights, central heating and Christmas lights!
Keithkkl
Grafter

Current reading:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1696 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 111 kbps
Keithkkl
Grafter

Here are my stats from voyager if anyone can tell me anything about them
Statistics Downstream Upstream 
Line Rate 1696 Kbps 448 Kbps 
Noise Margin 26.3 dB 20.0 dB 
Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 23.0 dB 
Output Power 18.9 dBm 12.1 dBm 
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 54 15 
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 16 
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 4 8 
D (interleaver depth) 8 4 
Super Frames 3770234  3770232 
Super Frame Errors 392  4 
RS Words 64093990  32046972 
RS Correctable Errors 2648325  28 
RS Uncorrectable Errors 3097  0 
HEC Errors 354  0 
OCD Errors 31  0 
LCD Errors 0  0 
ES Errors 0  0
James
Grafter

Keith,
The connection rate and line rates are the synchronsation speeds I was referring to.  They determine what your IP profile and therefore throughput will be set at.
Keithkkl
Grafter

I may have found a cause to my problem
Just picked up the phone a couple of times which share the line (through the micorfilter) is not clear and appears to have interference. When I have put the phone down and return to my pc the internet connection appears to have been dropped and then reconnects 30 seonds later.
My connection is as follows for your information and is exactly the same as when I first connected to Plusnet
SOCKET - extension cable - microfilter - 210 voyager
                                                            - phone
I did a speedtest straight after I first connected and I got a download rate of 4716 kbps but since then I have only experienced in the region of 130 kbps
James
Grafter

Keith,
You will not see anything better than that until your IP Profile is updated, which generally takes up to 3 days.
There's nothing we can do until that period has passed I'm afraid.
Keithkkl
Grafter

OK we'll see what happens over the weekend with the rates.
But I shouldn't get interference on the phone line should I?
And every time I pick it up the connection drops.
What would you suggest is the problem? Line, filter, router, modem.
prichardson
Grafter

Indeed you should not.
Couple of things to find the source.
1: If you simply unplug the modem from the filter, does the noise still happen.
If no, possible line or modem fault, though will need to test a new (read different, but working) modem to verify this is not the case and minimise risk of charges.
2: Leave it in the setup as per one, but also remove the filter. Does the noise still happen.
If yes, then you have yourself a bonafide line fault, so it needs to be looked at by your voice provider first.
You will need to unplug every device from the line except a single fault from the master socket and verify the noise still, before you proceed to this route.
If no, then your filter is to blame.
I have just run a quick set of line checks and they don't show any broadband issues, so my educated guess is either a local issue or the voice line.
Keithkkl
Grafter

Sorted the interference problem now.
It was the microfilter supplied by Plusnet.
I just swapped it with a spare microfilter I bought and now the line is completely clear and doesn't drop the internet connection when I pick up the phone.
That's that problem sorted.
Now the speed problem which I'll monitor over the weekend