cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any difference between an ADSL wire and an ADSL2+ wire?

laburnum5
Grafter

Any difference between an ADSL wire and an ADSL2+ wire?

Hello.
1. can an admin see if im on ADSL2+?
2. i want to place the Technicolor N router down the hall from my only bt wall socket. I think i just need a long ADSL cable, but my question is do I need an ADSL2+ cable or does such a thing even exist? are all ADSL cables the same?
thanks
13 REPLIES 13
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Any difference between an ADSL wire and an ADSL2+ wire?

It is generally reckoned that twisted pair cable might be better than the standard flat cable.  This product http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Ethernet-Broadband-Modem-Cable/dp/B003OSUZ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13... uses twisted pair cable, according to the customer review
laburnum5
Grafter

thanks, but regardless of twisted vs flat, is there a difference between an ADSL2+ cable and an ADSL cable?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: laburnum5
are all ADSL cables the same?

No.
But there's no difference between ADSL and ADSL2+ requirements in practice.
As RR has said use a twisted pair cable, not a cheap flat one, if going more than a foot or so.
If you're going near any electrical equipment a shielded twisted-pair cable would be a wise precaution if available at a competitive price.  Wink
laburnum5
Grafter

ok thanks. It will need to be 8.5m long to stretch down a small corridor and over one door frame in the middle. So a 10m version is best i guess.
The 2 nearest exchanges both support ADSL2+ so i guess that's what my internet is on.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

8.5m !!!  It might be better to site the router close to the BT socket and use a long network (Ethernet) cable from the router to wherever it needs to go. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Might? I'd say definitely would.  Wink
laburnum5
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
8.5m !!!  It might be better to site the router close to the BT socket and use a long network (Ethernet) cable from the router to wherever it needs to go. 

i wouldn't be able to do that because of the layout of the flat. it'd look ugly too being thicker and it'd need to be 20m long!
I've just ordered a 'twisted' adsl2+ 10m cable so i can locate my router in the hallway now. the cable will connect from the router to the microfilter which is plugged in directly at the wall modem.  Roll_eyes
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just to confirm, your connection definitely is on ADSL2+
Have you considered powerline adapters? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110920.0.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
laburnum5
Grafter

looks like a great bit of kit but it's £26 compared to the £4 i've just paid for the cable+p&p.  Smiley
one review for the cable ive just bought said the cable was excellent compared to the normal 'flat' adsl cables which often result in lower speeds. *fingers crossed*
laburnum5
Grafter

For anyone else who is considering moving their router location by using a long ADSL (twisted) extension cable, I have just done so successfully (for now  ::))
The cable was 10m long! now although you might expect a significant drop off in speed, I didnt find this to be the case. My upload speed stayed the same and my download only dropped by 1Mbps.
RESULTS:
Before extension:

After 10m extension:
Wink
PS: here is the cable I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Ethernet-Broadband-Modem-Cable/dp/B003OSWP1W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&...
apjashley1
Grafter

That cable (and most twisted pair ADSL cables) is using CAT5 Ethernet wiring, so the argument that an Ethernet cable would look uglier is moot
laburnum5
Grafter

I held both in my hands yesterday evening and can definitely say the ADSL cable is thinner, but only just. the tacks that hold it in place along the bottom of my walls can just about hold the adsl cable whereas i would need the next size up tacks to hold an ethernet cable. not a huge difference but I wanted it to be as discreet as possible.
regardless, I was never going to run a 20m ethernet cable through my flat, from router to laptop (and ps3, phone). the 10m adsl allowed me to place the router in a central position allowing good wireless connectivity from my room.  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The signal comes all the way from the telephone exchange to your house on cable.  I don't see why another 10m of good quality cable should make any significant difference at all.  The problem, as I understand it, is that the cable connecting your modem to the wall socket is usually of inferior quality and so has to be short.
Feel free to shoot me down in flames if I have got something wrong here.