cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Phone e-mail

andrew370

Android Phone e-mail

Can anybody help with outgoing mail on a Samsung Galaxy s 2 phone. The incoming works fine
Settings I have are
smtp    relay.plus.net
security      none
Port    25
require sign in      ticked
username        usual
passwrod      usual
It checks outgoing settings and goes through ok
E-mails go but never arrive ---
I'm on contract with T- mobile if this helps.
Thanks
Andrew
20 REPLIES 20
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Android Phone e-mail

Hi, just checked on my HTC Desire (Android 2.2) and I have the same settings as you. Not much help I know but your settings do seem ok.
Are the e-mails going to the "Sent" folder on your 'phone or are they in your "Outbox"?
Bob
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think T-mobile block outgoing connections to port 25, so you can't use an external mail relay such as Plusnet's. I believe using the T-mobile SMTP server (smtp.t-email.co.uk without any username/password or security authentication set) should work when you are connected to their mobile network.
David
bobboulby
Grafter

spraxyt, I'm on T-Mobile and mine works ok. Andrew, can you send e-mails using your PlusNet wi-fi?
Bob.
andrew370

Hi,  Thanks for this.

The e-mails I have sent have left the out box in other words nothing there.
I'm a bit new to this  -- so how do you send e-mails by wi fi only?  sorry to be dim.
I've changed to the t-mobile settings but it says can't connect to server, so doesn't get as far as the plus net settings.
so that's not it I'm afraid
cheers
Andrew
bobboulby
Grafter

So the e-mails are not ending up in your “Outbox” folder, can you confirm that they are going in to your “Sent” folder.
To test sending e-mails on wi-fi, go to Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks and make sure that under the Wi-Fi setting you are connected to a wi-fi network (it should say “Connected to wireless network name”). Also make sure that the Mobile network setting is not ticked (this is further down the page). This will force the phone to use wi-fi networks only and your phone should display a symbol like the one in the attached image in the notification bar.
I’m assuming that you have a home wireless network connected to PlusNet. Can you test if you can send an e-mail from this.
Bob
andrew370

Hi,
Thanks again -- so all e-mail I have tried to send can be seen in the sent box, I have no trouble with e-mails through my main computer and laptop, ( plusnet account ) the android phone seems to be the stumbling block..
The symbol is there and connected  ---  I can't see anywhere that says Mobile Network.
On Wi-Fi settings page I have
Wi- Fi    ---- shows connected
Network notification ---- ticked
WPS button connection  --- says configure wireless networks automatically.
THEN
Wi - Fi networks
shows my connected network and scans for others, can see a few others.
Thanks
Andrew
bobboulby
Grafter

That’s strange. If the e-mails are in your “Sent” folder then they should have been sent! Also it looks like you are definitely using wi-fi so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.
The only think I can suggest is to delete the PlusNet mail account from your mobile and recreate it from scratch – unless anyone else has any ideas?
Bob
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Daft question, but you're definitely sending to a valid email address that you have access to aren't you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobboulby
Grafter

Good point, maybe you've got an invalid e-mail address in your phone's phonebook.
Bob.
knowdice
Rising Star

Andrew - using the same settings as you on Vodaphone doesn't work either Embarrassed
Passes the authentication test Ok... mail disappears from Outbox into Sent, but doesn't arrive at Plusnet.
Using WiFi with the same setting works Ok.
So someone is blocking port 25 - have tested this on a Gradwell broadband connection and it works Ok, so must be Vodaphone...
don't suppose Plusnet allow use of an alternate port?
bobboulby
Grafter

... but Andrew's e-mail isn't sending on wi-fi.
Bob.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: knowdice
Andrew - using the same settings as you on Vodaphone doesn't work either Embarrassed

Works fine for me on pay monthly Vodafone. I've just set it up and sent a test email to a Plusnet email address, my work email address and a third party email address and all three arrived almost instantaneously.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

knowdice
Rising Star

I'm on Vodaphone pay monthly.
Just tested again and it works on Vodaphone data and Plusnet via WiFi so don't know what was going on... Embarrassed
My settings are:
SMTP server - relay.plus.net
Security type - None
Port - 25
Require sign-in - Ticked
Put in User name and Password - passes initial test.
Send email - leaves Outbox and shows in Sent.
This is on a Samsung Galaxy S2...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: knowdice
This is on a Samsung Galaxy S2...

Just for the record, I tried (and succeeded) using a ZTE Blade (Orange San Franciso) running Android 2.2.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team