Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I "suffering" the missing 2.5 Mbps?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Am I "suffering" the missing 2.5 Mbps?

it's nice to see a fibre speed test actually above 40mb, that's not an invite for Bob Pullen to start showing off by the way Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: fagin
Although my speed fluctuates dependant on time of day, this kind of speed is not uncommon on my connection and my PN Profile is set at 37mb.

I've had 60Mb out of speedtest.net before now, it's a spurious result so I just delete it. The real ones are consistently the same speed, 37.5Mbps.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That'll do me.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
it's nice to see a fibre speed test actually above 40mb, that's not an invite for Bob Pullen to start showing off by the way Smiley

I thought it was actually impossible on FTTC Adam

Edited to add - Unless you are on an 80/20 trial and in which case that would be a very poor result.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Quote from: walker23

That'll do me.  Smiley

Amazing Ping there walker!
I have had a ping of 10 and 11 a few times but its normally 15.
I have only had fibre for a few weeks and love it to bits, speeds are awesome and never vary at all. Smiley
garywood84
Rising Star

My fibre has just been activated (by 3, yes three!) BT engineers, and their tester showed line speeds of 2000kbps up and 39998kbps down.  But, when I do a speed test I only get around 30mbps down.  Is this likely to be a result of this missing megabytes issue (my line speed shows in my account as 37mbps) or is my Pro add on not working for some reason?
WWWombat
Grafter

The best way to find out the sync speed of the modem, without unlocking the firmware, is to see what BT's "IP Profile" value says. If this is 38717 (or close) then you are syncing at (or close to) the full 40Mbps.
To find out the IP Profile value, use the speed tester at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ (but NOT the beta version). That will tell you a profile value for both upstream and downstream.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: WWWombat
To find out the IP Profile value, use the speed tester at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ (but NOT the beta version). That will tell you a profile value for both upstream and downstream.

Thanks WWWombat.  I thought this tool reported the IP profile, too, but when I run it (the non-beta version), the output is simply:
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 34 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 1.98 Mbps
However, this is telling in itself, and it looks like I am suffering from the missing MB, because the engineer's test showed a line speed of 39998kbps.
JoJo, or Plusnet staff - please can you work your magic on this with the 20Mb profile?
Thanks very much,
Gary
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Gary,
just done that. It should take effect in the next 15 minutes. Let me know if you see any difference.
Jojo Smiley
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: Joanne
just done that. It should take effect in the next 15 minutes. Let me know if you see any difference.

Thanks, Jo - you're a star!  Smiley  It made a difference almost immediately.  Jumped from about 33Mb speedtest to 38Mb! 
Just out of curiosity, can you tell me more about how this fix works?  Of course, it's entirely counterintuitive that a 20Mb profile gives me a faster speed than the 37Mb profile did!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

When we initially started the fibre trial we didn't have any profiles higher than 20000 so we used that one and configured it for fibre. Dave is currently looking at the 40000 profile to get it to work in the same way Smiley
Estragon
Rising Star

Could I have a "me too please" profile fix please Joanne? Just because it can be done.  I migrated in from fibre with my previous ISP and am used to getting the full speed.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Done,
Jojo Smiley
Estragon
Rising Star

Thanks JoJo, that's more like it :).
kdhuk
Grafter

I'm on 37Mb profile but have been OK on it for over a week now

......may report back to get a change to 20Mb profile  if I drop back to the  previous level of 34.8Mb/s