Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to be unhappy ?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Am I going to be unhappy ?

The Current Line Speed is Plusnet's equivalent of the BT IP profile and should be at least equal to the BT one. Yours has been set high so as not to cause any speed issues whilst you line is behaving as it is. This means that your download speed are only being affected by what the BT IP profile is doing.
Can you post the latest stats?
Anotherone
Champion

@Jojo
He hasn't got any extension wiring/sockets. I suspect it was just coincidence that things appeared to change when swapping from test socket to front plate.
@jjaycee1
Can you also post any Noise Margin graphs for this morning?
jjaycee1
Grafter

Do not really understand your previous comments to jojo. Test socket was used very briefly, a matter of several hours maximum. Remember I have had IP 1mb and 1380pkps with PN in  the main socket in the last 10 days. Surely the line cannot be that bad suddenly......can it?
Attached are the snaps taken at 11am today. Only just started the PC again after going out.  The drop shown on the graphs are when I disconnected and rebooted the router. At least I got an extra 32kbps out of doing that. The Noise is still 9db and the Sync now 960.. I am looking for at least 1180-1200 and IP profile 1mb.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jjaycee1,
I'd certainly advise to use the test socket while you're having problems. I'd also suggest raising a fault so it can be looked into further. Looking at your connection graph the one thing that strikes me is that the connection is only suffering on weekdays. Can you think of anything that may cause that?
Jojo Smiley
jjaycee1
Grafter

Hi jojo: lokking at the details you presented I can only see normal activity of connecting to broadband and closing sessions. Please note that any disconnects
at all have been my doing and not a failure by the line or router. I have always had a connection unless disconnected by me. Regarding "problems" during the week, I do not really understand as again anything out of the ordinary has been as instructed or made by me, e.g. I changed back to my Netgear router from the one supplied by PN, I have powered down, I have swapped filter etc. My "problems" have occurred after one of the mentioned activities. I have no discernible noise on the phone line, I have rebooted the router several times and a couple of times it was without disconnecting (my error).
I have now gone to the Report a fault programme and am being asked to reboot my router and PC so I will disconnect and do the required task after posting this, and then proceed with the rest of the fault programme. In the meantime I would be grateful if you could expand on your statement regarding "problems". I ask because if you look at the 23rd May I left the computer on all day and I dont see any "problems" noted on the bar chart, just a constant blue line with no disconnections..........just slow and not what I have experienced before. Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

Hi jjaycee1,
I think you may be getting confused between when you have your computer on and a drop in session, the latter will only occur if you do a disconnect or there is a drop in sync.
Hold on with the fault for just one moment.
Did you have your computer on at all last weekend?
jjaycee1
Grafter

Hi Anotherone. Ok I did the fault programme but to no avail. I also changed back to the Technicolor router and got a connection speed of 702kbps ! Quickly went back to the Netgear and have got a speed of 992 downstream, ATT: 63db & 15.5db Noise 9db & 12db.
Yes I did have the PC running over the weekend several times but not I believe for long periods i.e. over a couple of hours or more at a time.
What do you think of the Technicolor spped of 702kbps? At present trying to get RouterStat to connect and show the RX Noise & Sync but not getting much luck.....will persevere .
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think all the router rebooting and swapping things around has done more harm than good. The DLM might automatically lower the target noise margin down from 9db eventually, but that takes several days or even a few weeks with zero or very few disconnects.
The Technicolor speed of 702 is consistent with it performing slightly worse on your line than the netgear.
Anotherone
Champion

I agree with you totally ejs. Which is why sticking with one modem/router - the Netgear at this time, would be/have been more sensible and moving to the test socket is a pointless excercise when there is nothing connected to the faceplate when previous testing has shown exactly the same problems. It was obvious from the earlier posts in this thread that the Netgear was outperforming the 582n.
@jjaycee1
Can you post the current stats please? I'll address the points you've raised in posts #152 & #154 in the next post.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Current stats as per attached. Note I cannot get RouterStat to monitor the Noise & Sync graphs, they both show as 0. I have therefore taken a snap of the Router Status page
Anotherone
Champion

@jjaycee1
On the Noise Margin graph (& on the Sync speed one) in the bottom LH corner there is a check box which should have a tick in it to plot the graph.
@Jojo
Could you please have another look at the Radius logs as there was a disconnection on the 21st somewhere around middle of the day where the sync dropped from 1184 to 1088.
@jjaycee1
Unless I've misunderstood or you have, you have just the one BT socket, that is an NTE5 Master, there are no wires connected to it's front plate, the only wires connect to the NTE5 is the incoming BT cable.
When you Disconnect and then reconnect (at any time) whether it be from Master Socket front plate to Test socket or visa versa the performance can be different each time depending on the exact conditions at the time the sync occurs.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Ref paragraph 1. Understood and both are ticked. I attach a snap of the front page of the programme. You note that there is a blank where once an IP address was previously, and Uptime is blank but Routerstatus page shows up OK. Also the programme sates Running but no mention of "connected" at the top of the page.
Ref paragraph 3, all the details regarding the socket, wiring, numbers of sockets and reconnection details are exactly correct
rhohne
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Believe that there is a bug with RouterStats when you switch directly between the TG582n and the netgear. The symptoms are that there is a missing User-Defined tab between Sync Speed and Router Stats Page, Stats page briefly displays the TG582n warning before displaying the correct stats and as you have spotted no Noise Margin / Sync info. To get round this bug you need to ensure that the Thomson option is set to the ST585, not the TG582n, and then reconfigure for the netgear.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Thanks that did the trick !
Anotherone
Champion

Goto the Configuration (gear) Icon and check you've got the correct modem/router selected with the correct login etc.
@rhohne
I'm not sure your comment about the ST585/TG582n is right as the 585 has to be accessed by http: whereas the 582n has to be telnetted. But yes it needs to be configured correctly for the Netgear, it was working earlier.