cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation time

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Activation time

if your sync is that poor when connected to the test socket (320Kbps downstream is VERY VERY slow) then it indicates a fault that BT need to rectify.
One other question - have you tried an alternative router/modem at all?  This would be a very worthwhile test.
B.
tjd
Grafter

I can try with an old belkin router i have, that is if i manage to get all the settings right, although the one i am using currently is brand new "from plusnet."
If this isn't sorted by Monday i will have to pay another months subscription with my old ISP to be able to browse / post here.
Also, would i be liable to any charges for the work BT carries out?
Thanks again, will reply if i manage to set up another router for it.
Tj
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I can't see much point in waiting for the training period to complete. With those stats it is blindingly obvious that there is something seriously wrong.
Have you selected DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A or is that what the modem decided on itself (set as "Auto")? Can you find the setting to force G.DMT and see if that makes a difference.
Were you on ADSL before or a dialup modem? If you raise a formal fault through https://faults.plus.net/applications.php?Module=Faults you should be given a backup dialup number that you will be able to use for free.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tjd
Grafter

Update: I tried setting my old belkin router up with plusnets settings and it wasn't working, then my mum came out with probably one of the most obvious things to try "which of course i hadn't tried already" which was removing the microfilter from the master socket, and just leaving the one in the living room in...Doing this gave a notable increase in speed.. as follows.
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:02

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,088

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 1.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.5 / 51.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 9.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 179

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Also i must add, that the broadband light "at the moment, is solid.. But occasionally the internet light flashes.
Also "even though it sync at the above speeds," when i checked the connectivity of the internet using the router it came up something like all boxes ticked, and at the bottom internet had a red X and said something about connection to gateway.
Then again, when i checked it again all came up as ticks.. so i'm clueless as to what the problem could be Wink
Hope this information helps to resolve the problem.
Thanks as always,
Tj
Edit: Sorry jelv i have absolutely no idea where to find the option to change the setting on the routers homepage, but if you could point out where to go i'm sure i could see if it makes any difference Wink
Ty
jelv
Seasoned Hero

We might be getting somewhere.
Where was the router plugged in at the time?
What you've just posted suggests you could have a faulty filter.
With the lower half of the master socket removed, can you get sync from the socket in the living room? (you shouldn't - if you can it means your sockets are wired incorrectly)
Also, from the test socket inside the master socket can you try each filter in turn (with nothing plugged in to the socket in the living room) and post back the stats using each filter.
tjd
Grafter

Removing the bottom half of the master socket disconnects me from the living room socket.#
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,184 with the first one.
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,248  from the second one.
I plugged the microfilter back in the living room socket whilst one was in the master test socket, Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,248  was the result.
Rescrewed the faceplate on, and there's a microfilter in both sockets.. And this is the result. Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 896
And last , a microfilter in each socket gives Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 800
"I then got dc after plugging both back in and it wouldn't resync."
Removed the filter from master socket, wouldn't work, swapped the microfilters.. wouldn't work.
I'm getting more confused as time goes on as to what the problem is.
Hope this information helps..
Thanks again
Tj
pierre_pierre
Grafter

where is you modem from your old ISP when all this is going on?  i.e. the one where you are doing this posting from?
tjd
Grafter

Ok so this is how i'm setup via my old ISP.
They sell via Wireless in the Manchester area, and you have an antenna on your roof. A cable runs down from this, and hugs the wall at the bottom of the stairs, then there's a hill drilled through the living room wall.
The cable that comes through the wall is plugged into a black box, which has a cable that leads to a modem which apparently is set in bridge mode, and then from modem to the router via ethernet.
The cable / black box is at the back of the pc in the living room. The modem is connected onto the PC desk via 2 magnets on the bottom, and the router sits on top of the PC desk,.
The router from plusnet is currently sat under the PC desk behind the mouse.
Sorry if i seemed to have dragged that out a bit but i'm just trying to be as descriptive as possible in case i'm missing something.
Hope this helps, and thanks as always.
Edit: There is no modem for plusnet, just Telephone socket > microfilter > DSL socket of router via ethernet cable.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that bit sounds OK Cool
tjd
Grafter

Quote from: tjd
then there's a hill drilled through the living room wall.

>_< Sorry, i mean there's a hole which i'm sure  you'd of guessed by now Wink
Also i didn't write it before, but.. When i took the faceplate off the master socket, there was quite alot of wiring in there, and some of it was twisted together "like 3 wires twisted together so it makes 1, if you know what i mean ¿ :D"
Anyways, hope this helps.. ty as always
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When you tried in the test socket at the master, were you using any sort of extension? Hopefully you had the filter on it's 6" lead plugged straight in to the test socket and then the router on it's 6 ft lead plugged in to the router. The length of the Ethernet lead from router to modem doesn't matter.
It's also worth making sure test socket to router wires and the router are as far away from any other electrical equipment as possible (including your PC - noisy power supplies have been known to cause problems) while you do the testing.
A photo of the wiring inside the master socket may help (you can attach it to a post in Additional Options).
tjd
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Hopefully you had the filter on it's 6" lead plugged straight in to the test socket and then the router on it's 6 ft lead plugged in to the router.

Yes i did Wink
Quote from: jelv
A photo of the wiring inside the master socket may help (you can attach it to a post in Additional Options).

I'll get one asap
Edit: Ok attached one, sorry for the sloppy picture but camera was playing up so had to use a phone to take it ><
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I see they all rushed back to help you on that  Lips_are_sealed  Possibly because they hadn't realised you'd posted as you edited a previous post instead of posting a new one.
Although that's somewhat blurred, there looks as though there is only one cable there, but 4 wires connected to the rear of the face, they appear to be blue, green, brown and orange. If that is not correct, either a sharp photo or an exact description. Can you also check that there is only the one cable at the back of the extension socket in the living room and that it has the same colour wires. What distance are we talking about from master socket to living room extension (in feet or metres, which ever)? Is the wire surface mounted and visible?
Now as far as the wiring goes, if my assumptions are correct we have the old wiring colours here.
Now in a Broadband situation, wires should only be connected to terminals 2 & 5, and here they should be Blue & Orange. If this is the case, then wires to 3 & 4 (Green & Brown) should be disconnected (pulled vertically out of the IDC terminals) at master and extension.
A photo of the rear of the extension socket in the living room would be a good idea, to check it is the correct secondary type.
As far as the filters go, you only need a filter connected when you have something you want plugged in, ie. if you don't normally have anything in the hall plugged in then you won't need a filter there.
Finally, the incoming cable. Can you follow it outside and to the point where it leaves the property to go to the telegraph pole - can you check there are no nasty little white (or other colour) boxes apart from a grey slightly wedge shaped one, on route.
tjd
Grafter

Sorry for the delayed reply, but this is how it is when i looked in both sockets.
The master socket, when the faceplate's removed, has a blue, orange and green wire connected to them., The brown wire hasn't actually got a plastic coating as far as i'm aware of, its just like a peice of copper wire that the technician rolled up into a ball and jammed inside the socket.
There is only numbers 2,3,4,5 in the master socket.
The living room socket, which has a different faceplate, and different screws..is a bit like this
1      4
2      5
3      6
That's the terminals, and only 2 , 5 and the green are connected here.
Also, at the back of the master socket..There's like a black peice of plastic which the from outside goes into, and theres red / white ??  Cheesy wires attached to this, and the copper wire "brown" one thats just rolled up in a ball and jammed inside.
I have no idea what the problem is and i can't even sync now,, "tried about.. 10 times maybe."
Hope this helps , thanks as always guys.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As I said, in a broadband situation ONLY 2 & 5 should be connected , so remove the green wire (on 3?) at both ends otherwise that will introduce lots of interference when using you living room extension. This is your internal wiring for which you are responsible (not BT). You haven't said how long the wiring from master to extension is, whilst this isn't directly related to the fault, it will impact on the 'usabilty' of your extension if it is long because it is old wiring.
The Red & White will be the incoming cable going to the backplate of the Master LineBox (also sounds like an older cable with that 'copper' wire in it). Have you followed that incoming cable back as I suggested to look for funny boxes which might be part of the problem.
It was also suggested previously that you phone CSC to get them to set you up on the 0800 dialup number until this fault is fixed. Ring the Sheffield number 0114-296-5188 BB Faults