cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation time

tjd
Grafter

Re: Activation time

Only the socket in the hallyway by the front door has the removable bottom half, and when you unscrew / remove it there's wires attached the the faceplate.
I'm afraid i can't check using a phone as we don't have a house phone..All have mobiles, and getting the line activated was purely for the internet.
zubel
Community Veteran

We really need to see the sync in the test socket.  Every other test is pointless until we do.
B.
tjd
Grafter

I just tried to get it to sync via the Test socket, "behind the faceplate of the master socket near front door." It wasn't working so i left it 5 minutes or so.. When i came back it was still trying to sync.  Undecided
I'd put my money on the work at exchange not being finished yet though, as BT even sent a guy out to check if it needed a complete new line or if they could just reconnect it "before the techinition who installed it came."
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

OK. It might be worth trying to get hold of a handset for testing purposes. One thing we might need to know is if there is any background noise on the line which can seriously affect ADSL. You could try asking on your local Freecycle group to see if you can get an old wired one for free: http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK/?noautodetect=1. A lot of people have replaced with cordless phones and may have an old one gathering dust. (Having a spare landline available could be useful if there's a problem with a mobile). Failing that try the charity shops.
With the lower half removed can you see if you can still get sync in the other socket.
(Barry - he said he couldn't get sync in the test socket - something very odd is going on!)
Edit: Just read your last post - you really need to beg, borrow or steal a handset to make sure that the phone itself is working. If you get a dial tone dial try using the BT line tests. Dial 17070 and select option 2 quiet line - there should be no background noise. Also try 17070 option 1 - ringback test. Sounds strange, but there is a reason, after the ringback test see if you can then get sync.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tjd
Grafter

If it isn't working by tomorrow night i'll try and get my hands on a phone.
Thanks again for your help / input guys, much appreciated.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well I've checked on the order and it's completed, though I think we might have to wait the line training period out until we can raise a fault. Here's hoping there's something easily identified from the tests to come, my fingers are crossed.
tjd
Grafter

Managed to get it to sync in the master socket again, and the speeds went slow again.
Will just wait it out and hope it solves itself.
Thanks again
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I stand to be corrected, but if you dont have any phone, you dont need a filter, try it with no filters in the systen at all
itsme
Grafter

Very unlikely. With an adaptive system as ADSLMax is it will start with low SNRM and sync at the best speed this will give you. In your case with a SNRM at 2dB it gave you a speed of 160kbps. When the system see lost of sync it will increase the SNRM until it find a margin that will give a stable sync. With increase  SNRM  the speed will decrease. This time of day is when background noise is at the lowest. So if you are having problems syncing now the line does not stand a chance syncing in the evening and through the night when noise levels are at their highest.
It's important that you can find a telephone and plug this into the test socket and do the quiet line test that @jelv has mentioned above.
tjd
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I stand to be corrected, but if you dont have any phone, you dont need a filter, try it with no filters in the systen at all

I have to have at least 1 filter in or i can't plug it into any of the sockets.
I will try and get my hands on a phone ASAP to try these tests, thanks again guys.
tjd
Grafter

Ok i managed to get my hands on a homephone and do the 2 tests.
The line noise test worked fine, no sound on the line except when i walked around "was a quiet crackle"
The ringback test worked, and this is the sync stats "from the test socket, behind the master socket" which i got after the ringback test.
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:12

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 320

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 15.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 52.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.0 / 6.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 44

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

I can't make no sense of this, but i'm sure someone understands it Wink
Thanks as always,
Tj
Edit: Typos - and it  lost sync again. Also how would i test if the second socket is dead... By removing the faceplate on the master socket, plugging the phone into the extension and seeing if it works?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Now you have got hold of a phone, one point you haven't answered: With the lower half of the master socket removed, is the other socket dead?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tjd
Grafter

Bah i gave the phone back before i seen your post >_< I'll just have to buy one because i'd feel like an ass hat asking again  Tongue
Quote from: tjd
Activating your line
The activation process normally takes between 7 and 10 days until your line is activated. Your activation date
An engineer will activate your broadband on:
18th Apr 2009 - After 12pm
Please note: this date may change. 

I had 3 different dates but this is the one i've been going off. Maybe the line is ready but a button hasn't be clicked, so to speak.
Will just have to wait and see... Fingers crossed though Wink
Also, i really can't emphasise how much of a help you guys have been... Thanks again i really appreciate it.
itsme
Grafter

Your order/activation has compled as confirmed by this:
Quote from: orbrey
Well I've checked on the order and it's completed, though I think we might have to wait the line training period out until we can raise a fault. Here's hoping there's something easily identified from the tests to come, my fingers are crossed.

tjd
Grafter

Cry
Edit: Can anyone see what the IP profile of my line is? Or maybe set it to how it should be.
I have no idea what to do now, except checking if extension works with faceplate off and of course waiting patiently Wink
Quite devastated if i'm being honest as i imagined it to be a case of setting it up and getting online.. obviously i assumed wrong.  Embarrassed