Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmal speeds and variability three days after installation of fibre

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Abysmal speeds and variability three days after installation of fibre

Ahh, now you're losing me as soon as you start talking technical. I'm afraid that "using telnet" means absolutely nothing to this OAP!  Huh
picbits
Rising Star

Getting a faster router may not help your wireless speeds - it also depends on the wireless card in your desktop / laptop.
I took a couple of screenshots of earlier speed tests as an example - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113599.msg976978.html#msg976978
My laptop is a 4 year old Dell with a wireless G card in - the router is a TP-Link 841N 300Mbs router.
On wireless I get a maximum of 21Mb download and 15-16Mb upload but with wired I get 50+Mb (normally around 68-70Mb but my internet is having a bit of a go slow today).
sbanaras
Dabbler

When I'm wired up I get 40 -45mbs, a speed I can replicate wirelessly as long as the router isn't more than a few cms away.  The first test that the Open Reach engineer did when he installed was a cool 40 and that was wireless.  This is my current wireless test with me sitting in the same room as the router, I lose 10mbs if I go to my room, which comparatively, I can certainly live with.

I can also get 40mbs on my tablet speed test if I'm standing next to the router. It drops about as much as the laptop does when I'm in my room.
My laptop is only about 8 months old, .  If I do buy a new router, I'm going to do for a dual 2.4 & 5 Ghz one and get a dongle for my laptop as it (currently) definitely can't handle 5Ghz.  My current laptop wireless module is a Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter, which the internet tells me can handle Wireless-N.
picbits
Rising Star

You're doing better than me then - I'm still running on Wireless G on my phone and laptop.
I do however have a few more machines hardwired in on gigabit ethernet as they need the bandwidth more than my humble laptop.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Apparently the AR9285 only supports "1-stream", so it would have a maximum rate of 65Mbps with the plusnet router "out of the box", without changing any of the undocumented settings via telnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: sbanaras
In other news, I've just had this email from plusnet, could someone explain what it means:
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.

Estimated line speed: 8Mbps
Current line speed: 78Mbps

Errrrr,  Shocked  Wut? 
I'm not getting anything near 78mbs, only 40 at a push wired, but estimated speed 8?!!!  Huh

Grin Yes, it' a bit of a joke. There a bug in PN's system that is giving the estimated speed for ADSL, not Fibre. The 78Mbps is the initial setting until the current BT IP Profile is sent by BT systems to PN systems. If you've had no loss of PPP session since connection, an update may not have occurred. Drop your PPP session - log in to the Router and click Disconnect in the Internet Box, wait about 30 seconds then click Connect.
sbanaras
Dabbler

Hello there again!
Thought I'd just continue this thread rather than make another...it's along the same lines.
My fibre speed was estimated at 58, but I only get 42, I raised a ticket and I've got a BT engineer coming on Saturday to have a look. What I'm after is advice to make the visit productive. I'm expecting the engineer to say, you're too far away from the cabinet you dumbo, what do you expect, but on the off chance that I'm not too far from it, what can I ask them to check to make sure all, well, most eventualities are covered.  I've already had to cancel plans for Saturday as I can't get any time off work during the week, so I don't want to have to call anyone out again.
Your advice is gratefully received.
p.s. The router only works well when it's tucked under the plant and it's on it's side. Put green things near it. It likes green things!  Wink
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: sbanaras
Hello there again!
Thought I'd just continue this thread rather than make another...it's along the same lines.
My fibre speed was estimated at 58, but I only get 42, I raised a ticket and I've got a BT engineer coming on Saturday to have a look. What I'm after is advice to make the visit productive. I'm expecting the engineer to say, you're too far away from the cabinet you dumbo, what do you expect, but on the off chance that I'm not too far from it, what can I ask them to check to make sure all, well, most eventualities are covered.  I've already had to cancel plans for Saturday as I can't get any time off work during the week, so I don't want to have to call anyone out again.
Your advice is gratefully received.
p.s. The router only works well when it's tucked under the plant and it's on it's side. Put green things near it. It likes green things!  Wink
Are you sure you `ent  been smokin' some of that plant!  Grin
sbanaras
Dabbler

How very dare you, I'm the model of propriety!  Grin