Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely ridiculous speed

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Absolutely ridiculous speed

Quote from: mattdeb
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6720 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4512 kbps
what does that mean?

6720kbps is the download sync rate and 448kbps the upload equivalent, the normal value for "up to 8M" maxDSL.  The sync rates are the speeds at which datagrams travel between the exchange and your computer (and vice-versa).
Datagrams include the transmission overheads which are 10-13%; subtracting these (and rounding to the nearest 500 below) gives the IP Profile speed which is shown as 5000kbps on your test, but should increase to 5500kbps if the exchange equipment determines your connection can sustain sync above 6240kbps.  Being 5000kbps implies you must have had a recent sync below that threshold.
The actual throughput speed measured during the BT test is shown as 4512kbps (and you later got a similar result from mybroadbandspeed.  This is less than the IP Profile due to protocol effects and overheads associated with maintaining data integrity.
David
apple1
Dabbler

I have just done a BT Speedtest and my IP profile has dropped to 6500 from 7000 ,now it has never moved before. My router has never moved from a sync of 8096 and has now dropped to 7584 !. Can the plusnet boffins sort this out ?. I see my stable rate at your end is still at 8000.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Looks like the speed profile at our side has since changed to 6500Kbps.
All telephone lines are subject to variations in synchronisation speed based on a variety of factors.  If you try rebooting your router a few times, you may indeed see different sync speeds being experienced.  This is fairly natural for broadband service being provided over copper.