cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely ridiculous speed

Azagoth
Grafter

Absolutely ridiculous speed

This is quite frankly unacceptable!  Normally I get between 4500kbps and 6500kbps which is fine for me, but this is just extracting the urine!

I can't even surf without waiting for even the most light pages to load, let alone playing any on-line games.  It was fine yesterday, yet today this is what I'm getting!
32 REPLIES 32
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Absolutely ridiculous speed

Hi,
I'd suggest trying to disconnect and reconnect and get off of PTE-AG2, we're trying to rebalance the network by having more people connect on that gateway than the others as such some of the tunnels on that gateway are quite busy at the moment, so switching to a different gateway should improve speeds.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
thecookhouse
Grafter

You are not alone - pathetic.  Is this what I can expect if I sign up for the next twelve months for a £30 bribe?
johnmglen
Grafter

Sorry PN. As a very long term customer and loyal Plus Netter, I am also less than impressed and am getting similar speeds as these guys at the mo.  I'm going to bed and would like you to wave the magic wand of technobabble over my poorly connection while I slumber please!!!    Grin
Spider
Grafter

I will add my name to the list with these results of:

You are currently connected to the "Telehouse East, Juniper 4" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pte-ag2.

and after rebooting the router:
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse East, Juniper 3" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pte-ag1.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm wondering if Tam can enhance the mybroadbandspeed tool to automatically tell you what gateway you are on and if it's having an issue.  I shall have a chat with him later... 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Azagoth
Grafter

Or, how about this? 
You give us the speed we get normally without it dropping to levels that are ridiculously slow and stop blaming it on gateways that we , as users, have no power over! 
Just how,as a user, am I able to connect to a specific gateway?  I'm not am I?  However, if you'd give us a way of doing this then I'd be more than happy.
Spider
Grafter

I was just wondering, now that I have had chance to sleep on the issue, how many customers were connected to that one gateway to give such low speeds. Then what percentage was that of the total capacity of that one gateway?
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
Last night the network was somewhat out of balance. PTE-AG2 was suffering Gold traffic drops last night, which was the only gateway to do so. Our aim is to have no Gold drops, so we will be doing anything we can today to improve the situation.
With regards to balance the network is looking a lot healthier this morning, as you can see from this page here.
James
Grafter

Guys,
Just to add onto Mand's post, you can see which Gateway you are connected to on this page.
I fully appreciate the fact that the slowdowns are completely out of your control and I apologise for the inconveniences that you have suffered. As part of the maintenance work earlier in the work, a whole gateway was taken down, as opposed to a single segment which caused this imbalance within our network.
As has been mentioned, it is being worked on and should be fixed soon.  It's also somewhat ironic that this happened just after we added additional capacity to our network Sad
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
I'm wondering if Tam can enhance the mybroadbandspeed tool to automatically tell you what gateway you are on and if it's having an issue.

I think we could add a 'PlusNet Information' box below the speed tester that shows extended information if it detects that you're a plusnet customer. Another suggestion James made a while back was to display the delta speed reports from BT.
What other information would be useful that we could display (without authentication)?
7th_star
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
I'm wondering if Tam can enhance the mybroadbandspeed tool to automatically tell you what gateway you are on and if it's having an issue.  I shall have a chat with him later... 

Good suggestion!

Quote from: Tamlyn
I think we could add a 'PlusNet Information' box below the speed tester that shows extended information if it detects that you're a plusnet customer. Another suggestion James made a while back was to display the delta speed reports from BT.

Sounds good!

Quote from: Tamlyn
What other information would be useful that we could display (without authentication)?

Perhaps the service status traffic lights (with a link to the stats page inc) could be added? After all if someone is using the speedtester, it is often because they feel they have a service issue.
That graphic may be a bit large though I guess, so what about just integrating it as a link, along with other service status related links - perhaps the network/gateway graphs.
EDIT BTW, the speedtest never saves previous test results. I remember this being discussed some time ago, but can't remember what the resolution was. The results would need to be kept centrally at PN btw (as with the old speedtest), as I don't keep much in the way of cookies for long.
EDIT2 Hmmm, I just realised that there is a saved result from yesterday. Is this info via a cookie? If not, how long are results stored? Because this is the only one saved.
atbs1
Grafter

I'd like to know how to change gateways please?
johnmglen
Grafter

Sounds like PN have done there best here to resolve an issue outside of their control.  My speeds seem to be coming back up, I'll keep you posted.
Spider
Grafter

Yesterday I suffered from slow speeds has I posted earlier. When  I rebooted the router I changed gateway only to find that now I am on the problem one again:
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse East, Juniper 4" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pte-ag2.

I am guessing that at sometime overnight I lost sync and then ended up in the same situation again, although admittedly not as bad as before.

Hopefully when I reboot the router again everything will improve but how do you ensure that you don't end up with this problem again?