cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0

Not applicable

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0

As advised, downloaded a fresh copy direct from the AVG/Grisoft server this morning (at 45.5MB I was astonished to see that it downloaded in just a minute or two).
I uninstalled the old copy, restarted the computer and cleared temp files. After reinstallation the red upgrade notification box was not there initially but now it has returned so I suppose that I will just have to live with it!
Sad
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I wonder if someone can clear up a few queries I have with the latest AVG.
1. After a scan is completed in the 'scan results' panel there is a line that reads 'warning count'.  What is this and can they be safely deleted?
2. Also in the 'scan results' panel there is 'spyware found/removed' line.  Does the free version check for spyware?
3. I don't get an icon in the tray when a scan is in progress as I did on the previous version.  Can this be switched on somewhere?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hello Artmo....
You may find the answers to your query`s on this link.....
http://freeforum.avg.com/
If not, perhaps you might post the questions there, and someone may be able to help...... Wink
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that,Shutter.
Not applicable

This is the section about warnings from the AVG user manual:
9.7.4. Warnings Tab
The Warnings tab displays information on "suspected" objects (typically files)
detected during scanning. When detected by the Resident Shield, these files are
blocked from being accessed. Typical examples of this kind of findings are: hidden
files, cookies, suspicious registry keys, password protected documents or archives,
etc.
Yes, the free version scans for spyware but I am not sure about real time protection so I have left Defender on.
I have found that if you tick the Detect Cookies box in the Resident Shield it alerts you to tracking cookies and deletes them.
There is a bit more about warnings and what to do with them in the FAQ section of the AVG site:
http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-766#faq_766
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Useful info.  Thank you Poppy.
jmd
Grafter

I still have not downloaded AVG8 - just wondered before I do how people are getting on with it................... have any more problems surfaced?
Also not sure if you have to take 7.5 off first?
I also have AVG Anitspyware free - do I need to take that off too?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

No problems at all with V8 of AVG.  There is no need to uninstall the earlier version.  It is detected when you install V8 and dealt with for you.
Not applicable

I have installed AVG 8 on three Vista computers and one XP. It is working fine on all of them. The only problem was setting up e-mail scanning with the secure gmail but I did manage to sort it with a bit of advice from another forum.
With regards to uninstalling 7.5 I switched it off and uninstalled before setting up AVG 8 but as mentioned, if you leave it, there doesn't appear to be any problems although I would quit the 7.5 control centre first.
When it installs look out for the Yahoo toolbar and take the tick out of the box if you don't want it. Also, if you don't want the LinkScanner, this can be disabled in add-ons on both Firefox and IE7. If you de-activate it from the control centre you will get a warning exclamation mark on the AVG icon.
Also, untick the daily scan box when it installs if you don't want to scan daily. It will give a warning but just ignore it.
I hardly know it is there - it has not slowed down the computer and updates quietly in the background.
As for the other spyware programme that you have, you could leave it, although AVG 8 does scan for spyware at the same time as it scans for viruses and as it is the same application it makes sense to uninstall. I have Windows Defender and have left that on with no problems.
I haven't determined whether it offers real time protection or if it is the paid-for version only that does this.
I have read that there are some issues with Spywareblaster and AVG8 but I haven't seen any on my friend's (XP) computer and she uses both.