cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANNEX M rollout?

Alxns
Grafter

ANNEX M rollout?

Just wondering if theres a list of when/if there will be an ANNEX M rollout via 21cn
thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: ANNEX M rollout?

Hi KyleS,
we do not have any plans for a rollout of this as yet.
Jojo Smiley
Epyon
Grafter

I just want to bump this as i see in the broadband FAQ "Without getting too technical, what ADSL2+ does is more than double the capacity of Max DSL broadband. This potentially means download speeds up to 20Mb and upload speeds anything up to 2.5Mb"
That would suggest that you support it now?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The problem is not with Plusnet but BT, it is BT that has to support it and there are no plans to do so that I am aware of. There were some Annex M trial connections going on a while back but I don't think that resulted in a decision to make Annex M generally available.
Both figures quotes are unrealistic anyway.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

BT are probably looking at FTTC, that is better than Annex M
Epyon
Grafter

=/
BT wholesale checker says my line supports annex m
so BT does support it or its just gltiching  Crazy
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 18Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 15Mbps and 20.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 12Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 11Mbps and 13Mbps.

Though thats not true it actually supports around 1.9mbps upload
also FTTC is not supported in my area even though its a large population and theres no plans to so far as of march 2012 anyways
virgin doesnt have any plans either for cable even though theres a whole cable network under the city Sad
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 12Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 11Mbps and 13Mbps.
BT Seems to think I could have annex M too.
Epyon
Grafter

Yeah my friend is with BT and just automatically got put onto it when he moved home.
My line with annex m
i included in an attachment
EDIT just seen this
plusnet - annex m
http://community.plus.net/blog/2011/04/15/19080/ ; Roll_eyes
they have no excuse now xD
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Epyon, I'm somewhat confused Huh
Judging by your signature, your upload is currently capped at 448kbps? Seems odd that you haven't asked for this to be uncapped seeing as you're enquiring about Annex M? Were you aware that you could request this? (would give you a theoretical upload of up to 1Mbps or so)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Epyon
Grafter

Yeah i have requested upsteam to get uncapped
but i was just curious about annex m support in general for residential customers.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Annex M is a new service which can allow users on ADSL2+ (in Annex M enabled exchanges) to potentially receive up to 2.5Mbps upstream by sacrificing a small amount of their available downstream bandwidth – ideal where upstream is absolutely key to your business. An FAQ will be published with the launch, but for information the service will cost an additional £10 ex VAT per month.

£10 extra per month  Shocked
I am surprised, very surprised, surely outbound capacity is something an ISP has massive surplus of!
itsme
Grafter

Mark
Grafter

Annex M is a current BT Wholesale product but is primarily offered to Business customers where upload can be major requirement. We do offer this to our businesss and corporate customers but have no current plans to offer to consumers.
Mark