cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL wireless router

MatrixRob
Grafter

Re: ADSL wireless router

Double check your username and psswrd as the cursor jumps around the input fields.
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Anotherone
The TCP/IP settings and PPPoA are all automatic settings that will be correct when your are actually connected.

Thanks for the info,
What information did you get when you looked at >Advanced Settings >Broadband >Connection  -  was it showing Line State Connected, and Downstream and Upstream speeds?.

I got NOT CONNECTED. and hence no download or upload speed/s
If when you looked at >Advanced Settings >Broadband >Internet was it showing your Broadband username correctly? And hopefully it wasn't showing the password as not configured. The Broadband username should be the full  myusername@plusdsl.net  and the password is case sensitive.

Yes, my plusnet setting and password showed correctly.
Any ideas?  How long do I need to wait for it to connect to my Plusnet account?
Thanks,
Chandu.
chandu
Rising Star

Quote from: MatrixRob
Double check your username and psswrd as the cursor jumps around the input fields.

Yes, thanks, will do.  Though, I had checked it 3 times when I did not get connected.
Chandu.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Where have you got the DSL cable plugged in? One end should be in the grey socket marked DSL on the back of the HH and the other end into a filter. Make sure any phones or other devices are plugged into the/a filter.
If >Advanced Settings >Broadband >Connection is showing NOT CONNECTED you've got no sync to the exchange for some reason. Try another lead and/or filter if need be.
MatrixRob
Grafter

Chandu,
I'm assuming you have done the hub configuration whilst being offline, which worked for me although I set it up as an access point.
Have you tried resetting the HH5 whilst on and then switch it off, then trying it over again whilst all connected?
I'm not asking you to do it, just want to know if it does indeed need to be connected whilst configuring as a modem/router (just a thought)
I've C&P'd the original transcript from NorthEasterner for ADSL (to save you tabbing about)
1) To use on a ADSL connection, simply grab an RJ11 cable (usually a grey cable) and pop this into the hub's DSL port, the other end into the microfilter.
2) Pop the power cable in and turn on the hub.  Wait for it to boot up.
Your hub will have a flashing 'B' light either red/purple or orange (depending on version of hub)
3) Insert an ethernet cable from one of the yellow ports (not the red port) and insert into your computer.
4) Open a web browser and enter or click on the link - http://bthomehub.home/ ; OR 192.168.1.254/  These links direct you to the hub's configuration pages.
5)Along the tab, you'll see 'Settings' click on this.  You'll be prompted for a password, or creating a new password if you reset the hub.  Enter your password.  To create a new password, enter your default admin password (found on removable card or underneath hub.)
6) Click on 'Enter your Broadband username and password' Which is the last option on the list.
7) You'll then see spaces to enter your username and password.
These will be your member centre username I.E Plusnet2015 was your member centre login, you'll enter plusnet2015@plusdsl.net as the username on the BT Hub.
Your password will be the one you use to log into the member centre.
For more into visit https://portal.plus.net/m...mp;action=refresh_browser (login required)
Cool then press connect
You should then be connected.
Albert Einstein
MatrixRob
Grafter

Try AnotherOne's reply first  Wink
Albert Einstein
chandu
Rising Star

Where have you got the DSL cable plugged in? One end should be in the grey socket marked DSL on the back of the HH and the other end into a filter. Make sure any phones or other devices are plugged into the/a filter.

Yes, the DSL cable (Black in this case) which came with HH was connected to DSL socket on HH and the other end to DSL socket on the filter.
I can try another DSL cable from my current router to the HH.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Chandu.
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks Guys.
I shall leave implementing your above suggestions till my line is sorted.  I hope it is done during next week.
Firstly, I will try Anotherone's suggestion of trying another (known) working DSL cable.
Failing above, I will try MatrixRob's suggestion of Factory Reset and setting the HH up online as per the C&P script from NorthEasterner you have kindly done.
After fresh setup HH online. Assuming that all the info has been entered correctly, How long do I wait for the connection to sync-in?
Chandu.
Anotherone
Champion

I would do the factory reset and configuration OFF-line .....was that a typo? You shouldn't need to do it online and risk upsetting DLM.
Sync should be achieved within 30-60seconds, authentication then has to happen which might take 30 seconds but is often quicker.
chandu
Rising Star

@ Anotherone
Thanks for your suggestion.  So, you suggest that I configure the HH5 off-line in order to avoid upsetting DLM.  Am I correct in understanding your above post?
Even if I do the set up of HH off-line and then connect to the adsl line, the DLM will be affected, the same as setting it up on-line, surely!
So, which one do I try first setting up HH off-line or on-line?
Regards,
Chandu.
Anotherone
Champion

No, wrong assumption about DLM, as I said do it off-line.
When you do things on-line and you have to reboot or the modem/router reboots as a result of any changes - that causes a loss of sync. If this happens several times in a short time frame DLM can see it as a dropping connection and may act. If you do it off-line you only have one disconnect when you go to swap BUT here is the important tip - power down the current modem/router and then wait a minute before you unplug it from the line. Stay off line for around 10 minutes before you connect up again. Ideally if you can log in to the one you are taking off-line and click Disconnect in the relevant Internet box - that drops the PPP Internet session first, then wait about half a minute before powering down. This latter action helps reduce any risk of a stale session which might not die without PN intervention. The risk is small but is there. HTH.
Anotherone
Champion

Are you having any luck with getting sync with the exchange yet? If not, can you post the firmware version? You did say that it was a type A, but I've seen another case of no sync which I assume was with a type B but will try and check that.
chandu
Rising Star

@  Anotherone
Thank you very much for your above 2 posts and the most needed help and tips.
I have done the factory reset as per the procedure supplied by MatrixRob.  Switched HH off waited for few minutes and then connected to the pc for off-line setup again as per the procedure supplied.  I have ended up with flashing 'B' light in red.  For now I have left it at this point & I haven't tried to connect to sync with line etc.
I have OR Engineer coming tomorrow, so will try connecting to line (with known working dsl cable) when he has finished with sorting my line.  Hope he turns up tomorrow.
So, I will post the results of my adventure with connection etc. 
Incidentally, I have HH5 Type A and the firmware version is: 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6
Many regards and thank you.
Chandu.
chandu
Rising Star

@ Anotherone & @ MatrixRob
OR Engineer did not turn up within his slotted time.  What a bind.  However, as the line had been stable for over 53 hours, I decided to soft disconnect the Netgear DG834GT and instead connected up the HH5A as per the instructions you guys had kindly provided.  I had setup the required info OFF-LINE yesterday.  It took about 30 to 60 secs (after the HH5 had booted on Power-up) for it to sync the line and I was online.
I got all the info I wanted - e.g. Data Tranfrs up/down, the sync speeds.  But was disappointed, that it did not display the SNR figures, which Netgear did.  It must be hiding it somewhere and I am sure you guys will point out to me how I can get the SNR figures.
Currently I am using the HH5 and happy with the wireless signal strength.  Not happy with the up/down speeds, but am sure the DLM will improve them in due course.
So, Big, Big Thank you to all of you for your help.  It is much appreciated.
Many Regards,
Chandu.
Anotherone
Champion

The Helpdesk page is where you need to go - it's on the Troubleshooting tab (login needed).
Edit: If you ever post a copy of it, remember to redact lines 2, 12, 23 & probably 14&18 - serial number, broadband username, MAC address, SSIDs.