cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL router keeps dropping connection

antrixx

ADSL router keeps dropping connection

I have ADSL broadband as fibre is not currently available in my area. Unfortunately, the router keeps dropping the connection several times a day. This is especially annoying as my partner works from home and has Teams calls frequently, which can cause a big inconvenience when the connection drops. This is both wired and wireless, so not a WiFi issue. I've tried the suggestions already, and had a test done on the line, which Plusnet text back to say that it's working fine. However, it is still dropping the connection multiple times a day.

Any suggestions? This is driving us mad.

9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: ADSL router keeps dropping connection

Have you got dial tone and is the phone line quiet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

antrixx

I don't have a phone connected to the line as we just use our mobiles. I only use Plusnet for the broadband

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

In that case you might have challenges finding out what is wrong.  A telephone handset is an essential diagnostic tool.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Cheap as chips in Argos and an essential should local towers go down, until Openreach disconnect the copper network!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're having connection issues while your partner's trying to work from home.

I've run a test down your broadband just now and the tests are showing a potential issue with the phone line, which is stopping me from raising a broadband fault, but when testing the line itself, there's no issues showing. 

Before booking an phone engineer I just want to be sure if there is a line problem by re-running the test without any internal wiring connected. Would you be able to plug your router into the test socket as explained Here?

If you can let me know once you've done so, I'll make sure we pick this back up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
antrixx

The router is the only thing currently connected to the socket. Please re-run the test if you can and hopefully find out what's causing the connection to drop. Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Appreciate your router's the only piece of equipment you have plugged into the telephone socket, but I'd like to rule out any internal wiring which you can do by plugging your router into the test socket.

I've just tested your line again and the tests are showing the same as on Friday. I can arrange a Qube engineer to check things out internally though if you're not able to try the test socket.

Let me know. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
antrixx

Yes if you could do that it would be great, thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sure, no problem. Would you be able to reply to the ticket I've created on your account Here with when you'll be available for an engineer visit? If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as possible. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet