Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speeds Issues

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: ADSL Speeds Issues

@keithdwilliams  Or the call you received was nothing to do with your phone and broadband problem.  Inter-act. is  a company  I have never heard of and if they were a recognised sub-contractor for Openreach it would be common knowledge.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Inter-act are an outsourced contact center provider.
I dont know if they provide a service for BT or not. If its important (to them?) they'll call back 🙂
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Thanks for that info, @Bogbody .

John
keithdwilliams
Grafter

They are a BT contracted contact centre.
keithdwilliams
Grafter

Is this how it usually works?

Report fault.
Fault accepted.
Fault response deadline issued.
Silence

Is there any way to find out what is happening? If anything is happening?

Not having even a guessed estimate on fix time is causing significant issues. How do I get that?
jab1
Legend

@keithdwilliams No update/details on the ticket/question?

John
keithdwilliams
Grafter

No, not a word.
I wouldn’t care if I knew it was being attended to in the background, or even if I was told it will bec: weeks...

It’s the total lack of contact that’s the problem.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@keithdwilliams From what I can see the job's still awaiting to be allocated to an engineer. We're still within the estimated response time of by 08/02/21 23:59:59 we were given by our suppliers so we can't go chasing yet I'm afraid but if there's no progress tomorrow, feel free to shout and we'll be happy to chase it up

(Literally just as I'm typing this the job's gone to "past point of no return" which means its now assigned to an engineer)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keithdwilliams
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf, that at least sounds more positive.
Will they require contact with me? Telephone or physical access?

Ie do I need to be here?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The fault's looking to be external so the engineer may not contact you but if they need access they'll generally try to call you. If you're not available though don't worry as they'd pass the job back to us and we'd arrange an appointment.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keithdwilliams
Grafter

There was a cable fault at the junction box on the external wall where the cable from the telegraph pole comes in. This was fixed in about 5 minutes flat... we now have telephone, and DLDS connecting.

However, DSL is connecting at about 200kbs... if we're lucky. It appears stable  but I'm not convinced the plusnet router itself is stable. Opening the Helpdesk page, or Advanced  page, fails frequently, as thought the unit were under extreme stress.

The noise margin is currently sitting at 28.6/42.4.

I picked up a Draytek 130 over the weekend - haven't tried it yet, but am considering it. Not entirely sure what the settings should be, or i would.

Also, rather than a hanging adsl splitter filter, we have a openreach filtered master socket - is it possible for these to die and eed replacing? I've plugged a hanging filter into the master socket with not change, though.

Not sure what else i can do...!

jab1
Legend

Right, we are getting somewhere if they have fixed the cable fault - but sadly the noise margin figures you report point to something being horribly wrong somewhere - they should be much lower - in the 6-7dB range.

Can't help with the Draytek I'm afraid - not exactly sure what settings you are talking about.

I assume your master socket is a 5C with a mk.4 faceplate? How old is it? The earlier ones have been known to fail, but replacing the faceplate usually cures that. Not the first thing to worry about though.

John
keithdwilliams
Grafter

mk3 faceplate, which is about 3 years old, i think.

thats what im thinking. telephone is clear - possibly clearer than it was! - but it sounds like the actual dsl config is off somewhere - i get the same margin figures with the filter or without, using the faceplate. the internal cabling - that i can reach - all looks good and firmly connected within the sockets.

anecdotally it looks like it is getting better...! slowly. maybe just needs to settle?Huh

jab1
Legend

Keith, you just caught me before I was going to do a runner for the night, but I'll give you my thoughts while I'm still here.

The faceplate might just be dodgy - have you tried your connection with the dangly filter into the test socket - if thing improve drastically in that set-up, you need to buy and fit a new faceplate. Cabling shouldn't be a problem so long as it hasn't been disturbed.

I may have misinterpreted your above comment and you have done the test socket check, but if you get the same result from that, then the figures you reported in the earlier post tonight point to a need for further BTOR investigation - those SNR figures will totally foul up your chance of a reliable - or any - connection.

John
keithdwilliams
Grafter

yeah, i've tried the dangly filter in the master test socket... the faceplate is confusing though, it seems to have TWO faceplates, one for an extension, one for the filter... i think i have ordered a replacement, we'll see what Amazon drops in tomorrow, if its not right it can go back!

i think you are right, though, i think this is back to openreach...

thanks for your support and help.