Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

582n Latest Firmware

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: 582n Latest Firmware

Neither. It's 65Mbps. Though IIRC it can be set at 130Mbps via a telnet command.
dick:quote
tomxlisa
Grafter

How do i upgrade the firmware on this router, cant seem to find the option?.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

65Mbps is pretty poor for FTTC 76 Meg but it ok for FTTC 38 Meg (it will not getting full speed out of this wireless) plusnet should provide a router with a maximum 300Mbps N wifi for any FTTC 76Meg order.
apjashley1
Grafter

I'm on the early firmware and my network is 130mbps until the printer tries to join in, then it drops to 65mbps so I'm not sure about that!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I suppose I will use my own netgear dgnd3700 as these will be 300Mbps N wifi and will work well with FTTC. I just had to wait for BT to bring FTTC to my area and I will order Plusnet Fibre Unlimited but use my own router instead.
DaveyH
Champion

Quote from: goldenadsl
65Mbps is pretty poor for FTTC 76 Meg but it ok for FTTC 38 Meg (it will not getting full speed out of this wireless) plusnet should provide a router with a maximum 300Mbps N wifi for any FTTC 76Meg order.

I said it when i signed up, it isn't fit for purpose for fibre!
It's wireless coverage/performance is shockingly poor. I only achieved just over 30Mbps  on my laptap placed next to the router and that dropped to around 17Mbps the other end of the room (20' away)
IMO it isn't even wotrh the postage, and if you have/or are considering fibre, then you need to budget for a decent router if you intend using wifi
tomxlisa
Grafter

Will the new firmware improve wireless on the router, i was having problems with the speed of my broadband and wireless with this router so am using ethernet now and it is fine, maybe this was the reason for my problems, that this router isn't very good at it.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Yeah I knew it, as anything of over 300Mbps wifi router will be best for Fibre technology. My friend Marie had been order Fibre Unlimited from plusnet and BT Openreach told her that she won't getting full 76 Meg out of this poor Technicolor 582n, so BTO blame plusnet for sending out poor cheaper wifi router. The BTO man told her the only way to get maximum speed by wifi is to order any 300Mbps wifi router itself or use ethernet cable directly. She is very disappointed only getting 18 Meg out of 76 Meg via wifi. BTO told her this router Technicolor 582n is not designer for fibre broadband, but it designer for ADSL2+.
tomxlisa
Grafter

So will the new firmware fix the problem or has that just fixed other problems and a new router is in order if you want to fix the wireless problem?.
aam
Dabbler

Quote from: MarkC84
I'm having wireless issues with 10.2.2.9 whereby once I've set the wireless settings for the router and then reboot it I can no longer access wireless on the router, and that's regardless of what device tries to connect, I just get a message that states that the connection attempt has 'timed out', it's reproducible every time I do this. There is only one way to get around this issue and that's by connecting a LAN cable to the router, logging in to the router we bpage, then clicking 'Apply' on the wireless settings and then it magically begins working? Extremely annoying and never happened on 8.4.4 J.

I've experienced the same problem with 10.2.2.9, so was hoping that 10.2.2.B would fix the issue.  However, I noticed that apjashley1 mentioned that he received 10.2.0.B, so was wondering if there actually was a 10.2.2.B, or if it was just a typo by Matt?
tomxlisa
Grafter

How do you upgrade the firmware for this router and when will the latest firmware be available officially for it, could i try it early?.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

How do you upgrade the firmware for this router

I wouldn't waste your breath or your time. This is a very cheap, throwaway router & PN should be ashamed of themselves for supplying it. They are a very good company with superb customer support & this Technicolor rubbish is really letting them down. If you're using wireless at any distance from the router then you will get a huge speed drop, particularly if there's a wall in the way.
I speak from personal experience. PN even sent me a 2nd router to try. I did & it's back in the box! I bit the bullet & purchased an ASUS RT-N56U from Amazon. It's brilliant with NO loss on wireless. Maybe because it's dual band with 5 antennas as opposed to the Technicolor's 2.