cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to do to prove to support it's not just me with the slowness?

racquel
Grafter

Re: What do I need to do to prove to support it's not just me with the slowness?

Quote from: lucky7
try this out for bt wholesale adsl and fttc speedtest : http://217.35.209.142/ for a more accurate test

In that http://speedtester.bt.com resolves to 217.35.209.142 , what's the difference between them? They appear to be indentical, on the same IP address.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: What do I need to do to prove to support it's not just me with the slowness?

Hi,
They are the same site Smiley I believe there used to be a difference between http://speedtester.bt.com and http://www.speedtester.bt.com but I don't think that's the case any more.
With regard to the actual speed issue I believe you've talked to Jojo and it's all being sorted?
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
With regard to the actual speed issue I believe you've talked to Jojo and it's all being sorted?
Being sorted, yes. I'm posting this in one of the 5 minute windows of evening uptime.
Here's the problem I'm up against though - Plusnet need a BT speedtest from one of the "bad" periods.
Come 5pm, spot on, the net died. Take a look at the attached - 4 minutes to the first item, 10 minutes to the next few bytes, after 19 minutes Chrome gives us and stops loading the page.
But at least this time I got as far as the menu bar being loaded! I've spoken PN on the phone again and it sounds like stuff might be happening, and Jojo spoke to me earlier too.
Yes, those numbers really are MINUTES not MILLISECONDS.
In case anyone's wondering, during that time the router showed a solid ADSL 4mb connection, here's the log for the afternoon/evening - no drops
Time & Date Message
17:59:06  3 Nov LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.73)
17:58:53  3 Nov LOGIN User Basic logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.73)
17:10:30  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised again to server: 213.123.26.170
16:10:30  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised again to server: 213.123.26.170
15:10:30  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised again to server: 213.123.26.170
14:10:29  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised to server: 213.123.26.170
13:10:29  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised to server: 213.123.20.170
12:10:29  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised again to server: 213.123.26.170
11:10:29  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised to server: 213.123.26.170
10:10:29  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised to server: 213.123.20.170
09:10:20  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised to server: 213.123.26.170
08:10:19  3 Nov SNTP Synchronised to server: 213.123.20.170
07:42:43  3 Nov UPnP action 'AddPortMapping' from ip=192.168.1.73 (Success)
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 11:02:45
Downstream 4,864 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 5.6 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 49.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm
racquel
Grafter

Aha! Gotcha! I put a net radio station on, and as soon as it cut off, but before the net died, I managed to start some  speed tests...

And the BT speed test completely gave up after 37 minutes... basically what you are seeing here is a series of speed tests taken as the speed falls off, ending up with 0.1Mbps as shown in the ThinkBroadband test shown above...
There - I think that should be enough for the ticket Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

No, what theyre saying is you need to successfully do an evening test using speedtester.bt.com
Trying when its too busy, or not completing the test will not count.
You need to perform 3 speedtests within peak time (baring in mind you cant do a repeat test within 1 hour of the last...)
These are the ones that are logged and would be used to look for a VP related issue.
Regards
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
No, what theyre saying is you need to successfully do an evening test using speedtester.bt.com
Trying when its too busy, or not completing the test will not count.
Eh?! What would be the point of that?!
"Oh, you know I normally get 3Mb during the day, but suddenly during the evening I'm seeing almost total outages with 5-10 minute windows where it works fine? Well, here are some speed tests from the time it was working fine".
Wouldn't that be a bit like stopping someone for drunk driving, but agreeing to delay the breath test until they were sober?!
So am I to understand that a speed test is only valid when the speed and service is normal so the test can run and complete normally?
That leaves me feeling a bit...  Shocked Huh  Undecided Crazy
Think I need to go and sit in the padded room for a while and contemplate firing up the old "3" tethering dongle again...
matt_2k34
Grafter

NO.
What im saying is, the image you posted "The service is to busy, try again later" will NOT count towards your 3 required speedtests.
Nor will a failed test (due to a connection drop) count towards the minimum 3 requirement before PN can prod BT.
What i meant is, you can do..
test at 5pm, successful.
wait 1hr
test at 6:01pm, successful
wait 1hr
test at 7:02pm, successful.
If for some reason (tester is busy?) you cant do that, You'll have to keep trying, using someone elses Web-based speed-test is not adequate for this purpose (as i believe thats what you were getting at in your last post..)
contemplate firing up the old "3" tethering dongle again...

Sounds horrific, think I'd prefer to sit and read...  Roll_eyes
Regards
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and running ping tests etc while you are trying to do a BT test will make it fail
or did you not read those red sentences
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What you are saying is flaming ridiculous! What you are saying is:
BT provide a connection that connects. They also provide a diagnostic tool that only works when the service is working at normal speed, when speeds are badly degraded they make sure the speed test won't work so that the user can't run a speed test to demonstrate the problem. Because the user can't demonstrate the problem with a speed test they refuse to accept a fault report.
I don't understand why BT ever bother to do anything about hot VPs when they have such an easy cop-out! Crazy
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: racquel
And the BT speed test completely gave up after 37 minutes... basically what you are seeing here is a series of speed tests taken as the speed falls off, ending up with 0.1Mbps as shown in the ThinkBroadband test shown above...

Thanks, we'll try and push that through stating that the BT tester is failing for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
racquel
Grafter

Well this seems pretty conclusive - not sure I really need to add much more.
Attachment 1 is connected via Plusnet username = 373kbps
Attachment 2 is when the test told me to reconnect using speedtest@speedtest_domain = 3310kbps
Stands out pretty clearly to me...
Incidentally, does anyone else think that 30 minute wait times to get through to CS every day (37 minutes this evening) is taking the pee a little bit?
matt_2k34
Grafter

That is beyond weird...  Shocked
However, IIRC the speedtester domain you tried which is "normal" doesnt take its capacity from anywhere other than BT (exchange?) So if the problem is with the amount of people on your exchange (which i still suspect) then on a BT speed tester things would be normalm whilst any other traffic would be congested. (Think of it like having a house along the M1. You can get to the end of your drive just fast but as soon as you leave you hit major traffic  ;D)
Incidentally, does anyone else think that 30 minute wait times to get through to CS every day (37 minutes this evening) is taking the pee a little bit?

Growing pains, PN is growing rather rapidly (thanks to marketing everywhere...) They're also recruiting *all* types of front line support as seen here so it could be that they cant get the people quickly enough (again, IIRC its getting a little crowded at PN Towers too, as they're starting to outgrow the building  ;D)
its a PITA when you need to keep contactin them, but fingers crossed very soon you wont be needing to contact them again Smiley (Depends how the faul resolution becomes)
I Know its horrible being on the end of crappy speeds, i've been there several times but things normally get sorted quickly if its Plusnets fault...  BT on the other hand...  Undecided
As you've said, its affecting other people on the exchange who are with other suppliers...
Stands out pretty clearly to me...

Not really, else the problem would be limited to plusnet, wouldnt it?  Roll_eyes
Regards
racquel
Grafter

The farce continues - me having explained clearly, in detail, at length, with screenshots, that the router has a constant, fast and stable ADSL connection to the line and that the slowness only occurs in the evening, what do Plusnet do?
They look at my ADLS connection line speed at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, then send me a note saying "everything looks alright here, guv" (that's a summary in my words).
Of course, almost on the dot of 6pm, the tap got turned off. Finally managed to load BT Speedtest and complete a test at about 9pm. 73kbps. See attached.
As before, it asked me to complete a "tap3" test, but the page never finished loading and Chrome gave up about 20 minutes later, so I never got the "next button" to do that part.
But the attachment suggests to me that everything is definitely not "alright guv". PS - it's 23:30 now and everything is roaring along again. No doubt Plusnet will be doing more tests overnight to tell me that everything is just tickety-boo at 04:18....
This is getting real tedious, real fast (or slow, as the case may be).
matt_2k34
Grafter

Indeed, faults like this are truely horrible Sad unfortunate response from CSC im sure digicare will see that they get spoken to.

Has the speedtester completed a Test 3 yet? as this is the one that would give the data about VP usage.
Regards
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Has the speedtester completed a Test 3 yet? as this is the one that would give the data about VP usage.

Managed to do one on Friday night - see the attachments in this post.
But it's very rare to actually be able to get one to complete, let alone move along to the next stage.
When I say slow... have you got 5 minutes and 18 seconds to watch the BBC news site  loading?

?hd=1
If you haven't, skip along to 4m57s when things start to come to life and the news page bursts onto my page to load in a mere 15 seconds...

?hd=1&t=4m57s
Incidentally, ignore the pings on the left - they're a bit of a red herring. Since I innocently pinged HSBC with 1k packets for 2 hours to make a big text file to try and map lost packets to times of slowness for the PN ticket, they don't seem to be responding to pings any more from any PN IP that my router picks up. Can't say I blame them..