cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to do to prove to support it's not just me with the slowness?

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: What do I need to do to prove to support it's not just me with the slowness?

Hi racquel,
One of our faults guys is looking into this for you. I Think he's going to arrange a boost engineer, who will test for throughput issues and check the exchange directly. The latest report from the exchange shows the VP to be green, so hopefully he'll come up with some idea. the faults team will be in touch with regards to appointment availability.
Jojo Smiley
racquel
Grafter

Re: What do I need to do to prove to support it's not just me with the slowness?

Thanks Jo. As long as they're not checking the VP at off-peak times (like they did on Sunday afternoon!).
Again, last night, it was off like a tap, almost spot on 6pm.
They should also be able to see the BT speed test from last night, although unlike previous nights I started to get the net back as early as 9pm, and managed a relatively blistering fast 1603kbps (see attached).
Between 6 and 9 the test page wouldn't even load.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've been told that even if the speed is ok at the time of his visit, when you explain to him what time it affects you he'll be able to get the circuit checked for those times. Smiley
racquel
Grafter

I don't want to jinx anything so I'm not going to update the ticket until later tonight after the "danger zone" time has passed, but here's my last few speed tests that I logged (apart from the others in my posts).
08/11/2011 21:09:00 2017 kbps (252kB/s) 684 kbps (85.5kB/s) http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/126689771.png
07/11/2011 19:15:00 381 kbps (47.6kB/s) 314 kbps (39.3kB/s) http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/126431561.png
07/11/2011 14:30:00 3049 kbps (381kB/s) 668 kbps (83.5kB/s) http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/126356361.png
04/11/2011 19:32:00 728 kbps (91kB/s) 475 kbps (59.4kB/s)
Notice anything about tonight? It's WORKING! OK, 2017k isn't exactly lightning fast, but it's acceptable. For anyone confused about how I was able to get a speed test when I'd said it wasn't working, there WERE 5 minute windows, once or twice an hour, when I could get on and try a speed test. Very slow, though.
I had two very long and tedious phone calls one after the other this evening between 5 and 8pm, so I wasn't online at that time. During one call, at around 7pm, there was a very, very loud CLICK, then a loud whine for about 1 second, then another CLICK. The clicks were like what you get when someone else picks up the phone in a house (wouldn't be that - I was here alone at the time!). The whine was like what happens when you half plug a microphone in, or drive under power cable while listening to AM radio. This happened twice, about 5 minutes apart. I remember being surprised I was still connected, the other person heard it as well, and none of the lights on the router flashed. There's nothing in any ticket about work being done, I've never heard this noise on my line before, and I appear to have had solid internet for 90 minutes now for the first time after 6pm in nearly a week. Happy co-incidence or work being done, I don't know. But I've got evening interwebz!
Keep your fingers crossed for me - I'm going to tempt fate and try iPlayer now Smiley  ...
matt_2k34
Grafter

I'm going to tempt fate and try iPlayer now  ...

How did you get on so far? Smiley
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
I'm going to tempt fate and try iPlayer now   ...

How did you get on so far? Smiley

Rock solid all evening.  Cool
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi racquel,
I've just been having a chat with the faults guy who arranged the engineer and we reckon it's best to still let him come and explain what happened. It'd be typical to cancel and for last night just to be a fluke. He may be either able to give you more information on what happened or if there was any work carried out that may have attributed to it.
Jojo Smiley