cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak connection, bad upload speeds

Kayleighmoore93

Weak connection, bad upload speeds

The past couple of months my WiFi connection has just seemed to get worse and worse, I can’t watch Netflix with out it buffering and stopping every few minutes and if I try to upload any videos or sending any videos via social media they take ages to send/upload if they even do at all, they aren’t big videos always under 2 minutes, numerous times I’ve been on the phone to plusnet over the past few weeks and I have been told it’s a different issue every time, the first time my WiFi was on the wrong channel so they give me instructions to alter this, still had issues after a few weeks so I rang back to be told it’s an issue at the exchange, they reset something and told me if I was still having issues to ring back so I rang today and I was told that it’s an issues with my main socket! I don’t understand where the issue is coming from I have been with plusnet for years and never had any problems till the last 3/4 months!
8 REPLIES 8
Kayleighmoore93

Re: Weak connection, bad upload speeds

ive ran a speed test online and its saying my dowload speed is 8.31mbps and my upload speed is 0.73mbps 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

Welcome to the forums @Kayleighmoore93 . At those speeds, you shouldn't have any problems - they are close to mine and I  certainly don't.

Can you have a look at https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501 and complete as much as possible, please?

With those results, and without seeing the results from the above link, I am suspecting a wireless problem, but don't quote me on that - I could be barking up the wrong tree.Smiley

John
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @Kayleighmoore93

I'm sorry to hear that you're having connection issues.

We've tested your line and we can't see any issues remotely with your connection speeds being within the estimates for your line.

As mentioned above by @jab1 the speeds you're getting should be more than enough for most streaming services.

If possible can you connect a device direct to the router over a wired connection and see what the connection is like with no other devices connected?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Kayleighmoore93

ive connected my laptop directly to the router with the cable and disconnected all other devices ans it seems to be running a little bit faster 

jab1
Legend

That sounds good, @Kayleighmoore93 , but to get this sorted properly it would be helpful to follow the link in my post above. If you need any help, shout and I'll do my best (or enlist the help of others who know more).

@MatthewWheeler Hope I'm not treading on toes, here.Smiley

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Hi John,

No you are not. This is the right approach. We need to see ‘base’ data - router stats - anything else before that is somewhat arbitrary!

As for testing over a wired connection, there also needs to be an assurance that the connectivity is not still running over WiFi. Just connecting a cable does not assure operation over that cable - WiFi needs to be expressly turned off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman I really must remember to add that bit about expressly turning off wifi.Smiley

John
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

HI @Kayleighmoore93,

Could you confirm the speed results that you got while connected by Ethernet cable? Or did the services just operate better than it has been recently?

If you haven't performed a speed test, please do so here. Should the results be lower than the estimates of 9 to 12.5Mbps, ensure no device is using the connection and let us know on here so we can look towards potentially progressing the matter with our suppliers.

Checking your recent upload usage, at times it is peaking the maximum usage per hour. Although the service is unlimited in the way that you can use as much data as you wish, if your upload is maxed out then information requests will struggle to leave your router to the outside world and the small data packets used to confirm data has been received will not be sent to the outside server making it look like speed problems. This will therefore cause speed delays or even terminations preventing access altogether.

You should be able to limit the amount of bandwidth used for uploading to cloud storage if you are using such services.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional