Did you mean: 

Thompson router VPN & firewall

muymalestado
Grafter

Thompson router VPN & firewall

After reading this topic:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88552.msg736386.html#msg736386
which discusses the standard Plusnet Thompson router;
I am left wondering if getting a VPN to work means no hardware firewall, thus ensuring a software firewall must be in place on each PC.
The old Draytek router allowed VPN connections with specific users entered into the onboard setup and kept up a secure firewall running as well.
I am just wanting to be sure whenever the Thompson router is used for connecting that all PC's must up-to-date with a firewall.
Thanks
Phil
2 REPLIES 2
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Thompson router VPN & firewall

HI muymalestado,
We have a library article which helps you to upgrade the firmware on the thomson if you are having VPN issues. You shouldn't need to make any changes to the configuration of the router other than this.

[quote=Library article]This article shows you how to re-flash the firmware on the Thomson 585v7 and 585v8. You may want to do this if you're running an old version of the firmware, you suspect the firmware on your device has become corrupted or if you are having problems using a PPTP-based VPN solution.
Jojo Smiley
muymalestado
Grafter

Re: Thompson router VPN & firewall

Many thanks Joanne.  Quick and accurate response.  I'll try this in the morning, snow permitting, and hopefully report success.