cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed much lower than estmated speed..

abhijack
Grafter

Re: Speed much lower than estmated speed..

Instructions from Plusnet:
Thank you for getting back to us. I am sorry to hear that the issue with your speed is still ongoing.
I have tested your connection and I could see that the speedtest you performed failed.
So we can check whether our internal network is causing the problem we will require that you perform the second and third BT speed tests.
To do these you will need to re-run the BT speedtester however once this has complete,
should you get less than the required level the test should fail and give you the option of running further tests.
Please follow the instructions below to complete test.
Instruction for Fibre setup to modem
• Plug the Ethernet cable in to the BT modem and the PC
• Switch the BT modem on
• The setup is done as follows; create a dial-up PPPoE connection.
• Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections
• Create a new connection
• Connect to the Internet
• Set up my Connection Manually
• Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password (PPPoE)
• ISP Name – Plusnet
• Enter the broadband username:speedtest@speedtest_domain
and password: testing
• Finish and click connect
If you use Windows 7 it will try and test the connection during the setup;
this will fail and give you an error. Click Skip or Continue and then after clicking finish right click the new connection
icon and click properties.
Under Service Name enter Plusnet then click OK. Then double click the new connection icon and click connect.
Once successfully logged in, you can access the Speed Tester server by typing http://217.32.105.42 in your browser.
To initiate a test, you must type in your phone number in the available prompt box and press ‘Go’.
(This is used to identify your test and allow BT to investigate any faults)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I followed it word by word and here is what I get:
System is busy.Please try again later.. This is inspite of numerous trials...
abhijack
Grafter

i have posted the above info in my ticket...
hope they look at it today....  Roll_eyes
abhijack
Grafter

no reply on my ticket yet... Roll_eyes
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi abhijack,
Sorry for the delay, I'm getting this picked up with our faults team, we'll be in-touch shortly.
abhijack
Grafter

thanks chris...
quoting a reply to me from TBB forum:

"I just tried it and get the same issue when connecting with the BT speedtest@speedtest_domain test account. However it works perfectly when testing via Plusnet's network. Perhaps when BTW implemented its new speedtester they've misconfigured something and the resources needed to perform the download and upload tests aren't accessible from the BT test account."

maybe thats why i cant complete the tests suggested by PN on my ticket.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I believe if it's been more than a couple of days since the initial test you'd need to start from TAP1 again then go on to do the further tests? Apologies if you are doing, but my understanding is that the exchange won't accept a login on the test domains if it's not expecting a test from a certain line.
abhijack
Grafter

@ matt - as i said i followed the instructions line by line.
and once i hit this link [http://217.32.105.42/] it will attempt to start from TAP1 anyway.
thats when i get the sytem busy message of which i have posted a screenshot.
and as soon as i disconnect from the test account, plug the modem to router,connect  using my plusnet account I can do the BTW test .
so it seems BTW is not allowing tests with the test account anymore...
Bright
Grafter

It was me that tested this out and reported back on TBB forum.
I haven't raised any faults so no login expected on test domain. But... I was able to log in to the test domain and set up PPoE session, get an IP address, gateway and DNS servers via DHCP and connect to the test server at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ It allowed me to start the test, but the test fails at the point where it tries to download test files to the client browser in order to measure throughput. Not sure if this is what you're expecting? I wondered if the test files were located on a different server that's not accessible from this test domain, but just a wild guess  Roll_eyes
abhijack
Grafter

Quote from: Bright

It allowed me to start the test, but the test fails at the point where it tries to download test files to the client browser in order to measure throughput. Not sure if this is what you're expecting?

thanks mate for chipping in..
that's exactly where it gets stuck for me too...
Bright
Grafter

Perhaps Matt (or other Plusnet rep) can clarify whether there are any special requirements for running BTW speedtest while logged on to the BT test domain. It used to work OK, but I haven't used it for a long time, so things might have changed.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Things have changed a little with that, it's called a TAP3 test and isn't always required. If it is the Speedtester site will give you the specific instructions on what to do.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bright
Grafter

@Adam
Thanks. The problem seems to be that the BTW speed tester site doesn't actually work when logged into the BT test domain (speedtest@speedtest_domain)
abhijack
Grafter

@ Adam.. Please read bright's post carefully and thats exactly the issue...
Please read this post too ... I have followed your faults departments latest instructions and it doesnt even complete a downstream speed test...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110849.msg956300.html#msg956300
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@abhijack, one of our faults agents is looking into this and may well have replied to your ticket already, looks like the line needs resetting which will require an engineer.
In general as a response to all, it seems to depend on the difference between sync speed and throughput as to whether a TAP3 test is requested or not, and it only works on the downstream side of things from what we know - even if upload is affected, it won't request a TAP3.
Hope that helps some.
abhijack
Grafter

Thanks Matt... I have got a reply on my member account...
4:53pm, Tuesday 5 Feb 2013

A line reset and engineering visit is needed here after looking at the line for Matt.. Downstream and upstream both lower than expected with the recent drops..
Kind regards,

can someone look into it and arrange an engineer appointment for me please?