Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed much lower than estmated speed..

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speed much lower than estmated speed..

Hi there, I can see one has been booked for the 9th. Let us know how things go.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
abhijack
Grafter

thanks adam...
had a call from PN rep today...
said GEC test failed which suggests the fault is outside i.e from cabinet to master socket....
engineer booked for saturday PM slot...hope i get an engineer who know their job this time around...
abhijack
Grafter

Hmm ..This is confusing...
This is what PN rep told me on the phone while booking engineer:
GEC test failed which suggests the fault is outside i.e from cabinet to master socket....
This is whats updated in member centre:
GEC fail Potential Wiring Fault within Customer Premises. MFL=CA
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
To be honest I've never come across the term GEC in a faults context before so I won't make any assumptions. However the only note I can see with regards to that on the account is:
"Notes added for the engineer: GEC fail Potential Wiring Fault within Customer Premises. MFL=CA"
So personally I wouldn't want to assume either if that infers the issue is within your premises or not but I will do my best to get that clarified for you.
Adam
EDIT:
I've just spoken to a member of our faults team to clear this up. Sorry for the confusion but GEC is a typo, the correct phrase is GEA which is just the name of a certain type of line test used in the context of your fault. The result infers that there's an issue possibly within your premises between the distribution point for the line and the master socket. However, I'd be best advising not to take the test as 100% proof that's where the fault lies. I'd see it more as a guideline for the engineer due to attend.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can I presume the engineer hasn't been yet today or is still working on this out on the street?
This is starting to get quite exciting as BT Openreach really should have got to the bottom of the problem by now.    If they don't manage to do so today I think you ought to drop an email to these two people at BT and BT Openreach:-
http://www.ceoemail.com/se.php?id=9591 and http://www.ceoemail.com/se.php?id=9593
There is also an address on the www.ceoemail.com website for Plusnet's CEO but I don't think you need  that as Plusnet clearly been helpful throughout and the poor service is at the BT Openreach end of things.
The fact you are still being kept waiting so long for each successive engineer visit is really very poor when this should have become a top priority by now for BT to get to the bottom of.  I strongly suspect that your grumpy BT engineer decided not to bother coming of his own volition the last time since he clearly doesn't seem to GET IT regarding being let down on speeds or the fact that you are paying specifically to get these higher speeds.
I'm wondering what will happen on Monday afternoon at my relative's property 400m from the cabinet when BT Openreach's engineer does the install for Plusnet Fibre Unlimited.  BT speed checker estimate was 37.2Mbps but I'm expecting the IP Profile or whatever to suggest speeds in the 50Mbps to 55Mbps are possible.  Hence going for Fibre Unlimited and not Fibre Essential.
abhijack
Grafter

@capvermell - many thanks for your support...hope the install goes smoothly for your relative...

Updates from today's engineer visit:

For a change I had an enthusiastic engineer who was really keen to find the root cause of the fault.
Line test was ok. No wiring faults found.. Still syncing way below 50% of estimated speed.
He realised the issue was somewhere between the cabinet and master socket. He called for another guy to help out to trace the copper to find a potential bridge tap. They traced it till a building where they couldn't get access to on a weekend. It seems that a big cable runs from the street cabinet to that office and my line is coming out from there.
The engineer was itching to get in so he could look for any bridge tap issues and possibly bypass that to increase my speed to the estimated speeds.. He said this job will remain as unfinished and he will hand it over to another engineer to visit on Monday and have a look in the copper route in that office..
Unfortunately this engineer is off on Monday. I hope his colleague will get a proper handover so that he can continue on the good work this engineer has done.
Anyway I am glad as that the fault finding mission has at least started now to move in the right direction.
Thanks to PN reps here for pestering BTOR for me.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Abhijack, I admire your patience throughout this long saga. Fingers x that you get another good BTOR engineer on Monday, they seem to be as variable as wives are!! Shocked
Capvermell
Rising Star

Abhijack,
Is there no way you could not have arranged another date with this particular engineer as guys like him are few and far between amongst BT Openreach's employees from what I have seen.  And it certainly does sound like this building they need access to is probably the one that is messing with the the fibre service and sucking up its bandwidth in some way they ought not to be doing..
Perhaps you should email the head of BT Openreach just to make sure that the next engineer is of an adequately high calibre and that this matter is now properly followed through to its conclusion.
I've got my fingers crossed here that we don't have these kinds of problem with the install at my relative's hous tomorrow and instead get the full uplift in speed we are expecting.
abhijack
Grafter

@ tijara - thanks...you r right...lol..
@ capvermell - hmm..i didnt think i could do that so i didnt ask him... waiting to see what happens today..hope to get another good engineer as it seems ever so close to finding the fault....and if i get another bad one i will email the ceo....thanks for ur suggestions...
abhijack
Grafter

no call yet from engineer.....waiting.....
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Although we'd prefer them to engineers don't always phone ahead of a visit, I can see that they're booked for between 13:00 and 18:00 and I see no sign of any issues that might affect that.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Capvermell
Rising Star

abhijack,
Good luck with your next engineer call today.  Also hoping that BT Openreach's guy/girl (seems to be much less common to get a female telecoms engineer than either a female airline pilot or even a fireman) does show up this afternoon despite the very heavy ongoing snowfall (not settling though here in Bucks due to the above freezing air temperature).  I can just imagine that this is the kind of day when some of them would decide to go off sick.
Not at all impressed with the piece of utter rubbish sent in the post by Plusnet otherwise called a Technicolor (aka or formerly known as Thomson) 582n router and the fact that Plusnet's sales person who I called before ordering wrongly told me they would supply a Netgear router and that they had given up using Thomson due to bad customer experience with them.  To order Plusnet's top quality broadband service at £20 per month and then find they are prepared to compromise it with a cheapskate router that doesn't look up to the job is pretty disappointing.   Of course I expect I will find that BT's VDSL modem is also a Thomson if/when they arrive juding from the photo in the Plusnet setup manual.  If Plusnet had made it clear their router was a piece of cheap rubbish I would have saved the postage on their loan unit and just found a decent one of my own.
It does seem very poor of Plusnet to be supplying such lousy equipment (the router doesn't even have an aerial and there are dire warnings in the leaflet about needing to have your laptop close to it to get a reasonable signal) to support a speed oriented broadband service ordered by them most technology and speed conscious customers.
I wonder if in your discussions with BT's engineer about your speeds if you shouldn't ask if their VDSl modem couldn't be the problem and if you are allowed to replace it with one of a better quality make like Draytek or Vigor?
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Although we'd prefer them to engineers don't always phone ahead of a visit, I can see that they're booked for between 13:00 and 18:00 and I see no sign of any issues that might affect that.

BT Openreach's engineer has also failed to telephone here re the appointment due this afternoon to install Plusnet Fibre Unlimited.  My gut feeling is that they are probably going to fail to show due to the weather and use the excuse that the appointment got lost in their system or that the weather is too bad to be working out on the cabinet.
So it seems to be common practice for BT's engineers not to contact their client's (Plusnet's) customers with an estimate of when they will show up. Angry
abhijack
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I can see that they're booked for between 13:00 and 18:00
Adam

thanks adam..
thats a new piece of info for me... why dont i recieve a notification [sms/email/ member centre update ]  of the  time slot unless i put a post here??? hmmm...
the engineer on saturday said his job will remain as unfinished and he will ask for another engineer to come round today to finish off the job. There was no mention of a time slot and he said they have my mobile number and will ring me. [ see my reply number 95 - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110849.msg958822.html#msg958822]
and the engineer who came on saturday had to defer this job as he couldnt get access to an office. So I presume he has mentioned in his notes for the engineer to come before 5 pm or else  that office might be closed again!!!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

why dont i recieve a notification [sms/email/ member centre update ]  of the  time slot unless i put a post here??? hmmm...

Hi, no it shouldn't be a case of that at all, we should have sent you an SMS (as you've opted in for those on your fault ticket) on Friday when that appointment was made.
Apologies for that, I will be passing some agent on for the agent in question.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team