cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR just jumped from 2db to 14db!

leximo

SNR just jumped from 2db to 14db!

Hi,
For a while now our internet connection has been very poor and intermittent (usually around 30 minutes is a very good amount of time to stay connected).
I checked and regularly the SNR has been around 2db. I checked last weekend and this had jumped to around 14db and the connection had been up for over 8 days (which is a miracle!), and downloads at around 1Mbit (previous best was 512kbit).
Is it worth at this point getting an SNR reset to push for a better sync rate or not be tempting fate too much ??!
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: SNR just jumped from 2db to 14db!

First thing is to post the full router stats to get a better idea
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your connection looks rock solid to me, do you normally connect wireless or wired?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It would be with a 15dB default noise margin for the last 8 days  Grin which would not only give better stability but also could give better effective speeds due to a much lower error rate
leximo

Hi,
I'll grab the full stats when next near the router.
Always connect wired for the computer. It has been rock solid for almost 2 weeks now, but if you look at the connections before that you'll see lots of disconnections every few minutes. I was just wondering what improved? Smiley
Would it better to stay at the 15dB noise margin or try and get it reset to push for a better speed?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Given that 's now stable I'd expect over a period of weeks the target noise margin will come down in 3db steps - hopefully it will stop coming down before it gets unstable again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi leximo,
Can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into? If you were in the test socket, I would be happier about a reset.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Surely a reset would push it straight back to 3 which isn't what he wants!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
leximo

Hi,
No extension cables/sockets. Its a dedicated line for broadband and has the openreach filtered faceplace (in fact most of the time there isn't even a phone connected as its not used for calls).
jelv - thats what I'm a bit worried about, maybe I should stick to the 1mb sync and 15db target?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi leximo,
There should be a test socket behind the filtered faceplate. It's not unheard of for filtered faceplates to cause issues. If I was to reset the SNR (and this is to jelv too) I would set it to 6dB, although it's still liable to fluctuations from the target.
Jojo Smiley