cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display the router home page

wilf21

Re: How to display the router home page

Funny thing is, I started to suffer from the exact same problem a few months back even though, before then, I could access my Thomson router at http://192.168.1.254. ; I then found that I *could* access it at https://192.168.1.254 and have done so ever since.  Don't ask me why it suddenly required an encrypted connection; certainly, no-one at the usenet group plusnet.service.customer-feedback could explain it.  But it works and I don't want to reset the router to its factory settings to find out if this condition gets cleared.  I have re-started the router many times and it still requires the https address to access it.  Maybe the OP should try this?
Wilf
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good grief !, how did you discover that as a solution ?  Shocked
wilf21

Goodness knows.  Just pure luck and fiddling around!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just hope it works for 'DynaUKHuh
It would be interesting to know if anyone with a Thomson router that doesn't have this fault, whether they can browse the homepage using https://192.168.1.254 ; ?
wilf21

Thinking back to when this happened.  I had been using a D-Link router for some considerable time and the Thomson router hadn't been used for many months.  A few days after being upgraded to ADSL+ (in March this year) the D-Link router failed (I don't know if that's significant) and I took out the Thomson router.  Unlike previously, when I used the Thomson before, I could not now access its configuration page in the usual way and it was then that I somehow discovered that I could access it via HTTPS.  Other than that, there is nothing obviously strange about the Thomson router and it has been working perfectly  since the end of March.
Wilf
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: wilf21
Thinking back to when this happened.  I had been using a D-Link router for some considerable time and the Thomson router hadn't been used for many months.   A few days after being upgraded to ADSL+ (in March this year) the D-Link router failed (I don't know if that's significant) and I took out the Thomson router.  Unlike previously, when I used the Thomson before, I could not now access its configuration page in the usual way and it was then that I somehow discovered that I could access it via HTTPS.  Other than that, there is nothing obviously strange about the Thomson router and it has been working perfectly  since the end of March.
Wilf

Hi Wilf,
That's very interesting... I'd be interested in seeing the output to the commands
:service system list name HTTP expand enabled

and
:service system list name HTTPs expand enabled

I expect the HTTP service will be disabled for some reason.
It can be enabled via:
:service system modify name HTTP state enabled port 80
:service system ifadd name HTTP group lan

Don't add it to the wan interface unless you're looking to attract unwanted visitors!
Hopefully I'm not taking this thread too far off topic.
wilf21

{admin}=>service system list name HTTP expand enabled
Idx Name            Protocol        SrcPort  DstPort  Group
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
  1 HTTP            tcp                      80
        Description................ HTTP web server
        Properties................. server
        Attributes................. state port aclip aclif aclifgroup map log q
oslabel routelabel natpmweight
        User Managed Attributes.... state port aclip aclif aclifgroup map log n
atpmweight
        Attribute Values :
        State...................... (administratively) disabled
        Port....................... 80
        QOS Label.................. None
        Route Label................ None
        NAT Portmap Weight ........ 30
        Ip Access List............. any
        Interface Access List...... any
        Interface Group Access List lan
        Map List................... 80
        Logging.................... disabled

{admin}=>:service system list name=HTTPs expand enabled
Idx Name            Protocol        SrcPort  DstPort  Group
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
  1 HTTPs            tcp                      443
        Description................ HTTP web server over ssl
        Properties................. server
        Attributes................. state port aclip aclif aclifgroup map log q
oslabel routelabel natpmweight
        User Managed Attributes.... state port aclip aclif aclifgroup map log n
atpmweight
        Attribute Values :
        State...................... enabled
        Port....................... 443
        QOS Label.................. None
        Route Label................ None
        NAT Portmap Weight ........ 30
        Ip Access List............. any
        Interface Access List...... any
        Interface Group Access List lan
        Map List................... 443
        Logging.................... disabled
{admin}=>service system modify name HTTP state enabled port 80

As you guessed, HTTP was disabled.  How?  I've no idea.
Now I can get to the Router using HTTP !!!!
I hope this may help the OP.
Many, many thanks, Matt. 
Wilf
DynaUK
Dabbler

Quote from: purleigh
Just hope it works for 'DynaUK'   Huh
It would be interesting to know if anyone with a Thomson router that doesn't have this fault, whether they can browse the homepage using https://192.168.1.254  ?

-------------------
Hello Chaps
Firstly,  https://192.168.1.254 doesn't work.
i have checked all the proxy server settings in the browser and there is nothing set. I have even installed Google Chrome & tried in it as I thought it could be something tricky with the browser - FF & IE but still no luck.
Another important thing which I forgot to mention is that I have to connect to AT&T client to  get full access to the internet.
If I am outside AT&T, i cannot connect to the internet.
I have also found that pinging external sites takes a long time (>2 mts) to get a response back whereas pinging to the router responds faster. (This is with AT&T not connected).
When AT&T Is connected, pinging to external sites & the router are fast as it should be.
I have checked the AT&T connection properties and cannot see anything stopping me from connecting to the Internet without its use.
Thanks
jim:green blank space removed mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you check your hosts file and where are you checking the AT&T connection properties
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: DynaUK
I am able to ... connect to the Internet world without any issue

Another important thing which I forgot to mention is that I have to connect to AT&T client to  get full access to the internet.

Version 1.0 of the AT&T Global Network Client for iOS is now available from iTunes.
Description
Enables access to AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots all over the world from your iPhone, iPad or iTouch.

Are you sure your internet connection actually runs via your own router and not some nearby wireless hot spot?  If AT&T has reciprocal arrangements with BT maybe you can access the internet via your neighbour's Home Hub (which has the same default IP address of 192.168.1.254)?  When you ran ipconfig, how many connections were shown and which one had the default gateway of 192.168.1.254?
DynaUK
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Can you check your hosts file and where are you checking the AT&T connection properties

Yes.. I have checked the hosts file and i have only 1 entry in it which is
127.0.0.1      localhost
Regarding AT&T connection settings i am looking in the
"Show Login Properties" Window
Servers option -> Configure -> Use Default Network settings is selected is for  address of DNS & WINS servers
DynaUK
Dabbler

Quote from: ReedRichards
I am able to ... connect to the Internet world without any issue

Version 1.0 of the AT&T Global Network Client for iOS is now available from iTunes.
Description
Enables access to AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots all over the world from your iPhone, iPad or iTouch.

Are you sure your internet connection actually runs via your own router and not some nearby wireless hot spot?  If AT&T has reciprocal arrangements with BT maybe you can access the internet via your neighbour's Home Hub (which has the same default IP address of 192.168.1.254)?  When you ran ipconfig, how many connections were shown and which one had the default gateway of 192.168.1.254?

----
Hi.. I have checked and can confirm that it is definitely my router. .Only 1 connection is available using ipconfig with the default gateway pointing to 192.168.1.254. I am connecting it through a wired connection and also noted that the neighbor's connections are all encrypted and hence i wouldn't stand a chance on this for sure.. I have quickly checked to see if i am connecting to mine wirelessly and i am pretty sure it is my network.
Thanks
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Hi.. I have checked and can confirm that it is definitely my router. .Only 1 connection is available using ipconfig with the default gateway pointing to 192.168.1.254. I am connecting it through a wired connection and also noted that the neighbor's connections are all encrypted and hence i wouldn't stand a chance on this for sure..

By default a BT Home Hub establishes 3 independent wireless networks.  Although these are all encrypted, two are for "public" use if you have the right credentials.  I'm afraid as I have never been a BT customer I don't know the details of how to connect.
You presumably installed AT&T Client to access wireless networks whilst travelling?  So I presume your computer has a wireless adaptor and it is turned on?  ipconfig or ipconfig /all should list what each adaptor is connected to but unless you run this command and look quite carefully (or temporarily disable your wireless adaptor) then I don't think you can be sure what network and therefore what router you are connected to.         
DynaUK
Dabbler

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the wireless connection is switched off.
The ipconfig is still pointing to 192.168.1.254 and AT&T is used to connect to my office world..
When I run ipconfig, it does specify  the Ethernet Adapter Local Area connection details which includes the router address - 192.168.1.254
Thanks
jim:quote
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I'm not familiar with AT&T client, can you explain the procedure you follow.  Do you connect to AT&T client before attempting to login to your router?  Is the response when you try to connect to the internet without running AT&T client any different from the response you get when you try to connect to your router?