cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with locating a suitable router

Docrob
Grafter

Help with locating a suitable router

I have a block of static IPs, I was using a CISCO WAG320N-UK modem / router on ADSL+2 and then when I changed to fibre it was a simple job of swapping to PPPoE. The WAG320N had NAT, firewall and wireless turned off as as to act as a router for my static IPs. Unfortunately the WAG320N is showing signs of failing (90 ppp drops in a hour and high latency + slow downloads) and it appears to be obsolete. I bought a tp-link Archer Ac2 as it is possible to turn off NAT etc, however even with NAT off it will not allow the WAN to be on the same subnet as the LAN and refuses to connect. I have temporarily overcome the failing WAG320N issue by connecting the server gateway directly to the BT box as it has PPPoE capability but this means that my other servers are off line as there is no router.
Can anybody help setup the AC2 to route the static IPs or suggest a simple router with PPPoE to do the job?
Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Re: Help with locating a suitable router

Don't know if this will help but I've always been able to set static IPs easily for computers etc on my LAN using Netgear routers, via address reservation. Still uses DHCP but devices are always given the same address. (Which reminds me I still need to set it up on the lovely new 'Nighthawk' (R7000) I recently bought to replace the Technicolor router supplied by PN for fibre.)
Unless I've misunderstood and you mean the static IPs are all from Plusnet and not internal.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Docrob
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. I do need to route the external - supplied by plus net block of static addresses. I have looked at net gear routers and they do appear to do what I need but so did the AC2 until I tried it.
Docrob
Grafter

I'm still scratching my head over this one