cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to reset Thomson TG585 v8 router each time with a Sony Vaio laptop

StratfordGuys

Having to reset Thomson TG585 v8 router each time with a Sony Vaio laptop

Hi all, recently joined Plusnet and happy with the service so far. However one issue is becoming very annoying and that is the the fact that on one laptop (another is fine, as is my Playstation 3) I have to reset the router (by turning it off and on again) each time I turn my laptop (Sony Vaio) back on and look to re-connect. I connect to the router but it doesn't "go through" to connect to the internet as such.
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Having to reset Thomson TG585 v8 router each time with a Sony Vaio laptop

Hi StratfordGuys,
We could do a remote firmware upgrade that may fix this. You'd need to let us know when this would be ok as you'll probably have 5 mins downtime. We can only do this in office hours.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StratfordGuys,
I stand corrected. Apparently that fix is only for some macs. Your issue may be that you need to manually assign your IP in your TCP/IP properties, as there has been some issues with automatically assigning the IP address.
Jojo Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Oh, come now, Joanne, that's a workaround.  If you are forced to manually assign IP addresses then the router isn't working properly!
AndrewD
Grafter

I have this issue too with my HP Laptop using a wireless connection to the Thomson 585v8.  Other wireless connections including Iphones and a wired TV with ethernet seem to maintain connection.  This Laptop has never displayed this problem with any other router over the last 2 years!
Is there a fix for this.  A firmware update maybe?  It is annoying to say the least to be having to reboot the router every time the laptop is switched off to regain connectivity.
Thanks
Andrew
Aubs
Grafter

Are any of the computers that are experiencing the problems running Windows 7? - If this is the case, try going in to the wireless configuration and change the WPA-PSK Version to WPA instead of WPA+WPA2
Are any of the computers that are experiencing the problems only able to communicate using the 802.11g? - I know it has been a case in the past where equipment that is 802.11g only, they don't like networks that are 802.11b/g/n. Try changing the Interface Type to the maximum that ALL connected equipment can handle.
Aubs
AndrewD
Grafter

The machine runs vista and has integrated wifi b/g I think, definitely not n. All other devices are g as well afaik.
After typing my post i had started to experiment with the security variant and I changed it to be wpa2 only rather than wpa + wpa2. That appeared to fix the laptop reconnection issues but seemed to create a problem with my squeezebox audio streamer which connects wirelessly. It  was getting past password point but indicating it was unable to get ip address??is this likely to be due to wpa2 only setting?
Never had these probs ever with previous routers.
Thanks for the assistance Aubs.
AndrewD
Grafter

After resetting the squeezebox following the changed security type to WPA2 only all seems to be working again now.  Fingers crossed this will all reconnect OK following shutdown, following the changes made.
AndrewD
Aubs
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Oh, come now, Joanne, that's a workaround.  If you are forced to manually assign IP addresses then the router isn't working properly!
That's like saying having to change the router to WPA+WPA2 to WPA for Windows7 computers is a workaround. Yes, to all intents and purposes, it is, but it isn't necessarily the fault of the router as other equipment connect fine, it's just machines with Windows7. They are computers after all! - Just like the issue faced by the OP. Some equipment can't handle being given an choice!
Quote from: AndrewD
Fingers crossed this will all reconnect OK following shutdown, following the changes made.
Indeed. Let us know if it sorts the problem out for you.
Aubs
AndrewD
Grafter

OK, changing to security variant to WPA2 only rather than WPA + WPA2 appears to have completely solved my reconnection issues with the laptop. As stated I'm on Vista (Home Premium 32 bit).   The other wireless devices appear to have settled down as well now.
Maybe it's just me but I'm not completely convinced by the Thomson 585v8......  It has been quite tempromental with config so far compared to previous modem / routers I have used with all the same equipment..... could be just luck but sitting on fence at the moment...
Now just to resolve the downstream  Upstream! data throughput issue which is under 25% of sync speed......
Thanks for the help.
AndrewD
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI AndrewD,
Now just to resolve the downstream data throughput issue which is under 25% of sync speed......

Your profile is 7150, what speeds are you experiencing?
Jojo Smiley
Ratz

Have you seen this video?
Grin

AndrewD
Grafter

Amusing!  Funny thing is my lappie is an HP.  That's what I get for tagging on the end of the existing thread.  Problem seemed the same though.
Jojo - sorry, I am going mad. I meant upload.  I will fix the post.  This relates to the ticket you raised for me today.
Thanks
AndrewD
AndrewD
Grafter

Help! Please.
I spoke too soon!!!  A few days of succesful operation and then back to the same problem again, laptop will not connect properly without getting into router control panel, disabling and re-enabling and thn attempting reconnection.  Often takes several attempts to reconnect wirelessly and I have to delete the saved connection from my profile and enter passcodes from scratch to get in.  Have also tried switching the wireless modes from a/b/g/n to a/b/g and b/g and g only and nothing seems to resolve the issue.
Problem seems to occur when the laptop is completely powered down and restarted rather than in sleep / standby.
Along with the restricted upload speed the router appears to display (less than half ethernet speed, despite downstream speed being identical) http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91119.0.html and the questionable error stats, the router seems to produce, I am beginning to think the 585 v8 is not really up to it.
I have never had these issues wtih other wireless routers nor my previous model which I will try installing as soon as my initial 10 days is up...  Help to try and rescue this one gratefully accepted.
Thanks,
AndrewD
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi andrewD,
We could try a remote firmware upgrade for you if you like, but this can mean 10-20 mins of downtime, just let me know and we'll do it.
Jojo Smiley