Re: Download speed up during 'open questions', down again when closed

Hello Kevin! What are the crossed out lines for?  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Mick,
May be on reflection, those error rates are not as good as I first thought they were.  They are OK, think I need to see the figures in a couple of days...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mickthefitter
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Okay I can do that. I'm not sure what more we can do though. From my perspective things are unbelievably better than I've known before as regards my speeds - and we all know why now.
I've just read a few definitions of Error Seconds, CRC Errors etc. and I got the essence of it, if not a full clear understanding what are good or bad figures. Isn't some of it due to having interleaving turned on?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

FEC errors are the "corrected errors" whose count appears in the stats when Interleaving is turned on.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To expand on what AO said, FEC are errors which can be corrected by the router (due to characteristics of interleaving) WITHOUT the need for the data to be retransmitted by the remote end.
HEC and CRC errors require the data to be retransmitted, thereby reducing the effective speed of transferring data as some bits need to be resent, possibly several times.
If interleaving is switched off, those data blocks which might have been recovered by FEC methods, will become CRC of HEC errors and therefore require retransmission.
Not only does interleaving and FEC correction avoid time wasted in retransmission, it removes the necessity for the router to transmit "error - could not read that" hand-shake and control messages to the remote end.  Such local processing of the received does though take slightly longer than without interleaving.  Some find that irksome and demand that interleaving be turned off, ignoring the fact that if it is needed, retransmissions will take longer than the error correction processing time.
HTH
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mickthefitter
Rising Star

Good morning. A couple of longish working days have inhibited my enthusiasm for doing my stat reports and speed tests at night so its about 8.25am at the moment when I'm doing them - not sure whether that is good or bad for results! Another relatively early start for me today so after doing this I'll be offline till this evening again.
Here is the DSL connection info - I note it says "Uptime 2 days" which presumably means there was a drop of connection 2 days ago - nowt to do with me as the 'power on' time is nine days which is when I finished my new power lead.
Link Information
Uptime: 2 days, 13:21:30
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 780 / 8.708
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 352,47 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 20,4
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,8 / 44,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 4,6
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5.733 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 63.150 / 15.471.546
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 7.345
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 97.928

My current line speed from Plusnet is 7.6Mbps with no estimated line speed.
BT Speed Test results;
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
6.96 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.96 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.68 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.52 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Before I did this I used both Ookla and Uswitch a couple of times each. Each time there was a slightly different result but I'm used to expecting this now. Best download speed result was almost 7.5Mbps and best upload speed result was 0.62Mbps. I'm going to have to put some money in the honesty box because to be honest, these speed readings are done wirelessly. I know you don't like it but I'm a little too tight on time to get the cables out and since I hid my router cables under the carpets, where it sits on a shelf the router is actually pretty tight up against the back wall and is hard to get round the back of without pulling on the hidden cables!
Cheers,
Mick
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mick,
We will not berate you for that...  Wired tests are demanded where there is a marked risk that wifi is degrading the end to end experience and to avoid effort being expended looking elsewhere.
There error counts are not entirely clear to me - might need someone else to take a look...
Quote from: mickthefitter
Uptime: 1 day, 12:25:25
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2.764 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 64.327 / 15.051.213
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 16.018
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 39.761

Quote from: mickthefitter
Uptime:  2 days, 13:21:30
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5.733 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 63.150 / 15.471.546
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 7.345
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 97.928

The router resynch'd around 19:06 on Sunday evening.  Did you do anything / were you aware of any issue?  Is the router log still available back until then?
The Loss of frame count has doubled / There has been one loss of signal / There has been an additional 1,969 error seconds (assuming that this counter does not reset).
The FEC & CRC error rate seems to be better, whereas the HEC rate is about the same.

@CRT,
What does the error history look like please?

Kevin

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

At this moment in time the meantime between errors is 1122 on the downstream and 86400 on the upstream.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Good morning. It's 24 hours later again. I was too tired to bother last night.
Oh. So things are still a bit up in the air then? I do have to say, that as the layman here, the error numbers don't mean an awful lot to me. I can relate to, say, a car that does 17mpg being one helluva lot less economical than one that does 50mpg, while from my own experiences I know that 18T rigid lorries do an average of about 14mpg of diesel and that's pretty good compared to a loaded artic!  Smiley
Anyway, unfortunately the Technicolor log only currently goes back to half past four in the afternoon yesterday (15th April).  As for Sunday night around 19:06, I cannot specifically remember what I was doing then but there is a good chance that I was online on my laptop. I can't remember any specific issues though. My attention may have been diverted by something else though (TV, text message etc). Kevin, I can't even see where you've got an event from 19.06 on Sunday from, from the data I've supplied!  Shocked  That's how good I am at this  Roll_eyes
Looking at the event log, if I log in I often get multiple Firewall icmp checks and events that say SNTP synchronised to server - sometimes with the word 'again' inserted.
I'll copy and paste the most recent log if that's any help.

Info Apr 16 09:07:55 LOGIN User admin logged in on

Error Apr 16 08:55:35 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 111.252.41.81 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Info Apr 16 08:55:14 LOGIN User admin logged in on

Error Apr 16 08:48:39 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 31.45.13.34 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited

Info Apr 16 08:38:07 LOGIN User admin logged in on

Info Apr 16 08:29:40 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.13.50

Error Apr 16 08:21:30 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 14.118.99.219 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Info Apr 16 08:13:53 CONFIGURATION mbus igd sync successfull

Info Apr 16 08:13:50 CONFIGURATION mbus atomic sync successful

Info Apr 16 07:29:40 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.50

Error Apr 16 07:13:59 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 70.244.182.175 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Error Apr 16 07:04:18 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 124.130.31.233 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Error Apr 16 06:36:46 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 2): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 187.91.162.155 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Info Apr 16 06:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.49

Info Apr 16 05:29:39 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.13.50

Error Apr 16 04:57:01 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 2): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 172.248.217.4 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Info Apr 16 04:29:39 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.13.50

Info Apr 16 03:29:39 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.13.50

Info Apr 16 02:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.50

Info Apr 16 01:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.49

Info Apr 16 00:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.50

Info Apr 15 23:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.6.9

Info Apr 15 23:04:35 CONFIGURATION mbus igd sync successfull

Info Apr 15 23:04:31 CONFIGURATION mbus atomic sync successful

Error Apr 15 22:31:50 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 1.176.240.96 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Info Apr 15 22:29:39 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.13.50

Info Apr 15 21:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.50

Info Apr 15 20:59:11 CONFIGURATION mbus igd sync successfull

Info Apr 15 20:59:07 CONFIGURATION mbus atomic sync successful

Info Apr 15 20:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.6.9

Info Apr 15 19:29:39 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.13.50

Info Apr 15 18:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.50

Info Apr 15 17:29:39 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.6.9

Error Apr 15 16:39:00 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 2): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 212.129.27.67 Dst ip: 87.113.211.72 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Net Unreacheable

I am now starting to worry a bit about what I'm going to say next - although it has got to be remembered that from my point of view, my broadband is performing better than I've ever known, router switched on and off or not (now I'm not using an extension lead that I didn't know wasn't appropriate). About 7 or 8 years ago I had UPVC doors and windows fitted. I seem to remember something about the phone line getting slightly damaged when the old wooden front door frame was taken out; I think the original installation had the cable passing through a drilled hole in the wooden door frame. Now the cable comes into the house under the UPVC door step down in one corner, near the grey BT box outside. Whatever damage was done, the UPVC fitters 'made good' and I've never worried about it since my telephone works fine. Is it conceivable the errors you can see that are of concern could be something to do with that? And if that is the case, does that mean I'd have to pay for a BT engineer to sort it out? By all normal measurements (meaning I can't hear anything amiss doing a 'quiet line' test) there doesn't seem to be justification for suspecting a faulty line.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Townman
............FEC are errors which can be corrected by the router (due to characteristics of interleaving) WITHOUT the need for the data to be retransmitted by the remote end.

I thought
Forward error correction (FEC) is a method of obtaining error control in data transmission in which the source (transmitter) sends redundant data and the destination (receiver) recognizes only the portion of the data that contains no apparent errors.

rather than just the implication that the Modem just corrects errors  Wink
@mickthefitter
Whilst those errors are a bit higher than one would like to see, as Matthew posted the DS MTBE was 1122 and I've seen lines worse than that giving acceptable performance, so I wouldn't worry about it unless your performance deteriorates. The Copper Line Test wasn't showing issues and if your Quiet Line Test is showing no problem, don't worry. Post again if you experience problems, in the meantime I'll drop you a PM.
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Okay, here seems like a good point to sign off. My broadband performance is now so much better than it was prior to my coming on this forum, and while opening a case with Plusnet's  broadband 'trouble-shooter' certainly got the ball rolling and made me aware of some of the issues I'd got, it was people on the forum (who I approached because of my confusion over why certain things were happening) that helped me through the stages I wasn't clear on, and who highlighted other issues I might not have been aware of. The level of help here has been outstanding.
Thanks once again, and I know where to come if I've got broadband issues in the future.
Cheers,
Mick
mickthefitter
Rising Star

I'm having more comebacks here than Ol' Blue Eyes  Smiley
Some photos that I've uploaded of my router position, the cable to it, and the wiring inside the Telecom box outside my front door, to answer some questions I've had in a PM. Seeing as I cannot easily upload photos in a PM!  Crazy
The mains lead to the router now comes from the other room, under the carpets, and passes under the BT master socket. The original router DSL lead is also buried under the carpet after it leaves the microfilter, and comes out again at the back of the bookcase (okay, a DVD and VHS case in reality) and goes up to the router on top of it. The existing, 1988 installed 'twisted pairs' phone cable is what is seen atop the skirting, from the front door, back of the phone table, under the stairs, to the BT master socket. Prior to problem solving on this thread, the router was on the phone table near the front door, fed from the master socket by a domestic phone extension cable that is still in place cos that too, is under the carpet. But before this even, my router used to be upstairs in a spare bedroom, also connected by a domestic phone extension!
Mick.
Anotherone
Champion

I can see why you don't want to redecorate Mick  Wink
So if I've understood this correctly, in picture "router 003.jpg" that's the doorway to the left of where the cable "disappears".
(Would I be right in assuming that the glass visible on the left of the picture is a side window next to the door?)
Am I also correct in assuming that the internal wall we see in the picture that the cable runs along, is perpendicular to the outside wall on which the grey box is mounted that we see in picture "router 002.jpg" and in which we can see the doorway to the right?
I can see it would require a bit of careful thought on the best way to replace and route a replacement cable from outside to even just inside. The cracked insulation which you have taped up and the rather corroded connections in the grey box will undoubtedly give a significant problem at some point in the future.
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
The cracked insulation which you have taped up and the rather corroded connections in the grey box will undoubtedly give a significant problem at some point in the future.

Hmm...I suppose in most people's houses, the place where the telephone line comes into the house isn't top of the list of things to check and maintain. I think it only becomes an issue when the telephone - or increasingly broadband - doesn't work. Of course if people want, and can afford the latest whizzo fibre optic systems, I guess it all gets changed to something modern anyway!  Grin
Hmm, right, the map of my house...yes, the cable near the glass is near the front door, and that is a frosted pane next to the front door, and I would describe the cable as 'appearing', since that is where it emerges in the house 'tother side of that taped bit coming out of the box of spiders.
That first run of cable across the skirting, where it goes behind the phone table, is the wall where the Telecom box is on the outside. The top of the Telecom box is about level with the top of the skirting board inside the house, and it would be to the left of the power socket where my phone and answering machine are plugged in, as we look at the power socket in the house.
The phone cable is pinned to the top of the skirting board until it reaches the bottom step of the stairs, then it dives under the carpet, burrows around the bottom step, then shoots back up out of the Axminster (not really) on the inboard edge of the stair post, resuming its path, trying to be discreet, pinned along panel joints and skirting board tops, till it gets to my master socket.
My infamous Argos telephone extension lead follows the same course in the other direction, except entirely buried by carpet, with a fair old excess length coiled up under my phone table. I installed that...hmm...probably late 1993.  Smiley I won't even bother trying to describe the route that the second extension lead to the upstairs follows - it is tortuous. Plus (make sure you are sitting down  :D) when I first got broadband - O2, you'll be pleased to know - and my spare bedroom was a computer room (the desk now rather redundant but it holds my printer, scanner and some model cars) I used another splitter and ran yet another extension lead back from the telephone in the main bedroom, back under the landing carpet into the spare room!  Shocked How could it possibly work?!!  Crazy It did! Well enough to keep me happy anyway, until the Smart LG TV came along. The wi fi signal to that was - well, not as bad as you might imagine, but it had off days when I couldn't get it to work well. Then I brought the router down to the phone table - by which time I'd been on Plusnet for a while (over 12 months) and that, as they say, is more or less where I came in  Smiley
Thanks for the compliment about the decorating. It was re-done last September. Not before time though.
I think basically I've just got to judge the need to do any reworking of the copper wires on performance. If I'm satisfied with the performance I've got, both on the phone and the broadband, then there's little need to go stirring things up. It's funny really, because one of the issues I had with my last technical job (there were many) was that frequently I felt the urge to do a better job on maintaining production lines than time pressures and spares availability would allow. One of my frustrations was knowing that bodged repairs would go again in a few weeks time, and I'd have to do the whole thing again, probably to the same standard. I am thinking that perhaps with the view inside my Telecom box, and one or two other issues that came up, the same desire to see things at their optimum is applicable to people who know about broadband? Wires and signals aren't my area. To me, right now, it 'works' and that's good enough  Grin
mickthefitter
Rising Star

PERPENDICULAR! Yeah, I get you now! Where the cable 'disappears' (nay, appears) is simply the bit of wall two bricks thick that my door frame is set into, so yes, 90 degrees to the outside, then turn to run parallel to the outside wall and get to my phone's 13 amp socket.
Clear as mud? No wonder I can't drive a lorry without a TomTom  Cheesy