cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection acting like it's throttled?!

olliewebbuk

Connection acting like it's throttled?!

Hi there,
First post here as Plus.net support seems to be taking longer to get back to me by the day.
We're on the old Premier account.
Firstly during the Peak hours of 4pm to 12pm our connection runs at dialup speeds, pings are fine, we get 36ms to the Speedtest.net server, it's just that you can't really even browse the net properly, never mind watch something on iPlayer or even view a YouTube video.
After 12pm things are okay. I reported a speed problem to Plusnet, they said that our line was an old fixed 1Mb. So they've moved us to MAX, we now get a sync of 3392 Kbps downstream and 448 Kbps upstream. However, even during non-peak hours we get a maxium download speed of 115Kb/s.  Undecided
We are DEFINATELY not being throttled, out billing reset on the 11th and we've only used 3.1GB peak usage since then.
As I said, I wouldn't normally complain on a forum, but Plusnet support tickets are now taking far longer than usual to reply.  Cry
Many Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15
scootie
Grafter

Re: Connection acting like it's throttled?!

maxium download speed of 115Kb/s. 

is this a bt speed test? if so have you used other tester sites and what do these report
olliewebbuk

Rapidshare.com using DownThemAll! for Firefox.
5 parts, a 100mb Zip file for testing. Normally I find Rapidshare will max any connection.
Just had this support reply though:
Dear Mr Webb,
I have now amended your connection profile on our systems to match those of BT's systems. Please can you retest the line and let us know if you have further problems.
[Internal]
Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
37 17 39 0 -763540418 448

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
63 6 0 0 -1624558247 3392

DSL Max Data

BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
2500 2009-04-15T03:02:24 1111-01-01T00:00:00

Kind regards,
link:CSA Removed
HOWEVER! This does not explain the ultra slow speeds during Peak hours.
jim:red Agents name removed mod:end
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Rapidshare is classed as a download site, they are managed during peak hours on the Premier product. Have a look here for the detail. http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml
What kind of speeds are you seeing on a normal speedtest? eg www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk or www.speedtest.net ?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
olliewebbuk

Yes I know Rapidshare is classed as that. But I was saying that the connection was running at that speed this morning at around 8 o'clock.

I have the iPhone SpeedTest app that I also used as well as the PC website one. It shows that on the 13th of April at 22:55:52, with no other devices connected to the router that the speed of the internet was 120kbps down and 60kbps up.
On the 14th of April at 00:15:33, with no other devices connected to the router that the speed of the internet was 891kbps down and 238kbps up.
The results are almost exactly the same on the website version, I just can't test it at the moment as I'm at work.
olliewebbuk

Using http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
At home now, look at this! Nothing is connected to the router but my PC and my iPhone.  Angry
Date                  Download Speed  Upload Speed 
Today 17:13    128 kbps (16kB/s) 58 kbps (7.25kB/s)
Today 08:29         916 kbps (115kB/s) 323 kbps (40.4kB/s)
Yesterday 22:38 133 kbps (16.6kB/s) 42 kbps (5.25kB/s)

My support ticket ID: 28482954
zubel
Community Veteran

Firstly - reboot the router and try again.
If the speeds are still slow, do the following:
Run the BT Speedtest at:  http://speedtest.bt.com and post the FULL results.  If it fails to complete, it should at least give you the IP Profile.
Also,  pleae post the contents of this page
Finally, it may be worthwhile raising a ticket and asking PN to provide your recent sync history.
Post back with these, (certainly the first two while pending the third)
Cheers
B.
Chris
Legend

Give us a few minutes, think we've found something. For some reason you are on a restricted profile. Dave is looking at it now and hopefully you'll be back to full speed soon.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Should now be fixed, sorry about that. If you don't notice the change immediately try giving your router a reboot so it picks up the new profile.
olliewebbuk

Here is proof of my usage:

I've rebooted the router twice now since I've been home from work.
Here are the results of the speedtest:

And the results from that page:
olliewebbuk

Right, thanks we're back in business:

Can you explain why my connection was being restricted?
Chris
Legend

From what we could tell, it had added this months usage on to last months and worked the restriction from there. It's more complicated than that as it does show on our side that your usage was reset correctly on your billing date but for some reason it still combined them. So from what I can tell it was an unfortunate isolated incident.
Good to hear it's back to normal speed and sorry it happened in the first place.
olliewebbuk

Only issue is now that the sync speed of the router has dropped and the connection has slowed. It was quite happy at 3000Kbps, but now because of the problems and the amount of restarts I had to give it we get 2400Kbps. See the difference here:

Now down to:
olliewebbuk

Now syncing at 2368Kbps down, 448Kbps up.  Sad
Can I get 2.29Mb/s back please? Thanks. lol
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately that won't happen until your sync is stable at over 2.5mb... the profile on BTs system is still set to 2mb at the moment. If it does jump up and we don't alter the profile to match though just let us know and we'll happily switch it for you.