cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL and internal phone lines will not work at same time!

jondurs

DSL and internal phone lines will not work at same time!

Hi,
I posted this before and got 2 answers (Thank you). I tried to fix the problem but unfortunately no joy. Anything I can do short of ripping out the internal phone wires and starting again?
BT line coming into the house previously had a white BT ADSL MF50 box connected to the BT openreach box with my router and phone line plugged into the BT ADSL MF50 box.
Sometimes I would go to use the internet and would be unable to connect so would switch of the router and switch it back on agian and it would then work.
2 weeks ago I got an electrician to fit a socket next to the BT line for the router to plug into and then connect four wires (blue, orange, blue & white, orange & white) to the BT openreach box. Now when I plugged the phone into the internal sockets it worked (with interference) although this was cured by plugging it into a white BT ADSL MF50 box. Unfortunately now my router does not connect to internet or DSL (only the wireless and power lights come on). The only way to fix this is to take the 4 wires out of the BT openreach box.
Does anyone know how this can be solved? Is it a BT problem? Is it an internal wiring problem? All the phone sockets work, the internet works but not together!
Thanks
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: DSL and internal phone lines will not work at same time!

It sounds like your electrician has wired it up incorrectly.
Is your master socket a modern BT NTE5A type?
How far away is the "new" socket and why did you need it?
What type of socket is it - a normal phone extension or something else?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: DSL and internal phone lines will not work at same time!

It certainly sounds as though several things are not right here HP. It sounds like 2 or 3 distinct things may be an issue affecting the ability to connect to the internet.
If the master socket is the NTE5A type (the one with the removeable lower front half) what is the logo on it (top LHS)?
It sounds like you have other extensions, are they wired to the rear of the removeable front plate of an NTE5? Please describe how may extensions and a rough description of the layout.
To understand the nature of any connection issue with the exchange we need to see a set of router ADSL stats with you connected to the test socket behind the master front plate - plug you BT MF50 filter into the test socket and plug your router into it, immediately get the stats.