cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Keeps Dropping

chewie
Grafter

Connection Keeps Dropping

Hi, I think I'll have to raise a fault for this but thought I would get some advice before hand just in case there's an obvious quick fix.
I have a problem with my internet connection dropping on a regular basis.  This does seem to happen at any time and I have to reboot my router to fix the problem (this is happening every day).  My line is syncing ok (between 7 & 8mbps) but I have noticed when the connection drops the noise level is really low (-1) in my router stats.
Anyone have any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Connection Keeps Dropping

Hi Chewie,
What, apart from rebooting your router have you tried doing to fix your intermittent connection?
Normally this sort of thing is caused by either faulty hardware (router or filters), dodgy internal wiring (make sure your router is connected to your master socket via a filter and have all your used telephone sockets filtered) or it's a line/exchange issue.
Try ruling out as much of the above as possible and let us know how you get on!
chewie
Grafter

Hi thanks for your reply. 
I've tried changing filters on all sockets.  My router goes directly into the BT master socket (this is an old style one not the one with the split faceplate).  I also disconnected my sky box completely as this was initially causing some speed problems so the only thing that is connected at the moment is the phone. This problem happens regardless of whether the phone is in use or not.
James
Grafter

Thanks.
Is there any way for you to borrow a friends router or try yours at their house?
If not, we can easily send you a test router to try.
chewie
Grafter

I have got another one I can try actually that I ordered when I joined up with you.  The reason I didn't use it was because the range wasn't great (my house has thick walls!) and I couldn't seem to connect from downstairs in the front room.  I ended up sticking with a Belkin Mimo which seemed fine with my old provider.
However, I'll try the other router again and see if I can get it to work!
James
Grafter

Brilliant, thanks Smiley