cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a bit of info required Plusnet Value

plustrev
Grafter

Just a bit of info required Plusnet Value

Hello again.  I am now out of my "training period" and all seems to be well :). However I have a few questions:
Looking at the event log in my router I see that every hour precisely there is an entry  " SNTP connected to server 212 .***.*** etc", sometimes the connected is changed to reconnected, is this normal? if so what is happening.
My router log shows more than 264 million FEC errors :o, and about 10000 CRC and HEC errors. What does this mean?
Lastly, if I switch my router off at the mains when the computer is not being used will this have a detrimental effect, ie will the training  period start again or will I be connected at a lower speed?
Thanks for any help.
14 REPLIES 14
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Just a bit of info required Plusnet Value

The SNTP is just your router getting the time from an internet source (SNTP=Simple Network Time Protocol)
The errors are just your adsl line correcting noise errors, but 265M is a lot  Cheesy
Switching it off will not make a lot of difference unless you are doing it several times a day, I tend to leave mine on all the time, as it only uses about 10W of power, i.e. about a £1/month to run.
scootie
Grafter

Lastly, if I switch my router off at the mains when the computer is not being used will this have a detrimental effect, ie will the training  period start again or will I be connected at a lower speed?

Training will not start again.
As for conneting at a lower speed yes and no. if you reboot router 1 hour before sunset or 1 hour after sunrise and during the night you will see a slightly lower sync rate. the best time to sync is midday.
As for turing off and on when not in use all depends realy on what length of line your on example iam on a 51db attention line with a maxium daytime sync 4000kbps if i resync in the night i will sync at about the 3200kbps mark meaning my ip profile will drop to 2500kbps.
so in my case i get a decent stable sync and leave my router on 24/7 to keep ip profile at 3000kbps
If your close to the exchange and have a gd sync then turning your router off when not in use will not have a big impact on sync speed.
only thing to rember is not do to many resync's in a short period of time. its all guess work to as what the exchange will thing is a line fault but people say no more than 5 times an hour
as for the error count all depends in what period of time they where recorded as all ready said in the millions does seem high
Anotherone
Champion

Hi plustrev,
if you post your router ADSL line stats (Downstrea & Upstream) sync/line rate, attenuation, Noise Margin (SNRM), & Power we can give you a better feel for things.
plustrev
Grafter

Thanks for replies so far. Here are my line stats (I hope):
Link Information

Uptime: 9 days, 8:53:02

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,376

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 2.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 29.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 12.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 102 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 266,711,129

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 10,286

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7,654

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Success! they appeared.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: plustrev
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,376
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 12.0

These are the most important stats.
The SN Margin (Down) is currently 12dB.  This indicates that there is some form of noise on your line.  With an attenuation of 29dB downstream, it is *possible* that your line could support a full 8128k sync if this noise wasn't present.
Is it possible to plug your router directly into the test socket (behind the faceplate of the master socket) and repost these stats from your router?  This will help rule out if your internal wiring is the cause of the noise. 
Additionally, could you run the BT Quiet Line test (dial 17070 and choose option 2) and see if there is any crackling or hissing on the line?
B.
plustrev
Grafter

Thanks Barry, My master socket (NTE 5B) is in the garage so connecting my router there involves a lot of work moving the computer. I may as a start disconnect the bell wire to see if that has an effect, as well as carrying out the silent test.
Going out now so will do it later, any other thoughts appreciated.
Anotherone
Champion

If your bell wire is connected that will undoubtedly contribute to problems. Make sure it's disconnected not only at the master socket, but all the extensions (and it's mate on terminal 4 if connected as well). You should only have terminals 2 & 5 connected throughout.
plustrev
Grafter

Help, what have I done now :(. This morning at about 0940 I disconnected the bell wire, to do this I had to disconnect the phone line by removing the face plate of the NTE.
Immediately I lost speed, acheiving about 3.3 meg when I was getting about 4.2 meg. I will paste my line stats taken just now for you to look at and compare with my earlier ones with bell wire connected. I can see that my sync speed has dropped and that my SNR has altered, but has it altered for the better or is it now worse? What has happened? Here are my stats:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:53:05

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,320

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 18.0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 33 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 108 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7,535

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 116

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 112
Anotherone
Champion

You have been a bit unlucky here on a number of counts.
The DS noise is now 18dB and sync speed has dropped to 4320 which means there must have been a lot of noise on the line at the instant of sync.
I hope you had the router powered down when you did all this. Also the US noise margin is 14.0dB - that is very low.
It's also not a good idea just to unplug the router, best to power down, wait about a minute at least then disconnect the line if you need to change filters, wires. routers or whatever.
I suggest power down now, leave it off for about 5 mins. or so. In this period double check that all your connections are good. ie all plugged in Ok, wires to terminals 2 & 5 securely connected etc., faceplate securely fitted and so on. Also listen to your phone line for crackling or other intermittent noises.
When all done power up again and immediately grab a set of the Line stats.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7,535

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 116

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 112

That seems a lot of errors in just under 3 hours for a line with 29db attenuation.
Sounds like some noise or bad connection somewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plustrev
Grafter

Hi again, I have carried out anotheones instruction, ie power down router for 5 mins then reboot. The current line stats are below, on first sight I thought the problem had been solved as the SN appeared to be better (am I correct?) and the sync speed was higher??.
However when I carried out a speed test I was still only getting about 3.2 megs.
Also noticed that in 4minutes there were already a lot of errors.
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:04:23

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,560

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 9.0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4,381

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 33

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 30

Any thoughts /help please.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You'll need to wait up to 3 days for your profile to increase to match the speed, as long as your synch speed remains that high.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
plustrev
Grafter

Thanks adie, always have been impatient! I have just carried out www.btspeedtest and it showed line speed of 6560 and IP profile of 3500.
Will be back if speed does not increase after 3 days :).
James
Grafter

Hi Trev,
I wrote this a while back.  Might be of help.