cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you add a second wireless router?

tjg13

Re: Can you add a second wireless router?

Grudkin
Thanks for your response.
As I have already got network outlets hard wired in the part of the house where I wish to locate the second router, this solution would be ideal if I can set it up - new to networking so on a steep learning curve.
Would it be best to use two routers of the same make or would it be possible to use any make of router as the second router?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you've got wiring you need to buy a WAP - Wireless Access Point.
They are designed to do EXACTLY what you want and connect back to a LAN port on your main ADSL Modem/Router.
Brand isn't important.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The beauty of using a WAP is that all the complications like setting IP addresses, DHCP severs, DNS servers are taken out of the equation. Your router will continue to handle all those aspects, the WAP just enables you to get wireless connections in another location.
Edit: Ye Gods! I didn't realise how much the price of things had come down. No idea if it is any good but... http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA701ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Access/dp/B002YETVVE/ref=sr_1_2?s=comput...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
daskinner
Grafter

I set up a second router / wireless access point, the instructions are on a thread called  Can I use TG585 as a wireless access point?